Reload this Page >

Question for US citizens living and working in Dubai

Question for US citizens living and working in Dubai

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

statspro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for US citizens living and working in Dubai

Hi,

I have three questions for US citizens living and working in Dubai. Should I consider an offer where the basic salary (60%) of the total compensation represents 60% of my current US base salary and 50% of the base salary of an offer that I have received recently from another company in TX? How high is the cost of living in Dubai when compared to cities like Dallas, TX and Tampa, FL? Is it common to ask an employer to reevaluate their offer?

Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 7:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for US citizens living and working in Dubai

Are you asking if you should accept a substantial pay cut to work in Dubai? .... Sorry, I found your percentages confusing.

Do you realize that US citizens must complete a tax return for the IRS no matter where in the world they live? You can then deduct income tax paid locally if you are living and working outside the US, which effectively means if you are working in most industrialized countries you have zero extra tax to pay to the IRS, but if you are working in the Middle East you will have a whopping tax bill to pay.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 23rd 2017 at 7:16 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are you asking if you should accept a substantial pay cut to work in Dubai? .... Sorry, I found your percentages confusing.

Do you realize that US citizens must complete a tax return for the IRS no matter where in the world they live? You can then deduct income tax paid locally if you are living and working outside the US, which effectively means if you are working in most industrialized countries you have zero extra tax to pay to the IRS, but if you are working in the Middle East you will have a whopping tax bill to pay.

My apologies. Let me rephrase my first question. Would it make sense to accept an offer in Dubai where the base salary (excluding housing and transportation allowances) represent 60% of my current base salary in Florida, US? I am aware that US citizen are liable for incomes taxes beyond a certain threshold (around $100k) in the UAE.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 7:30 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

I realise I'm being a bit 'picky' here but ... you're asking questions of US expats living in Dubai on "British Expats"?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 7:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
I realise I'm being a bit 'picky' here but ... you're asking questions of US expats living in Dubai on "British Expats"?
There are more US citizens active on British Expats than you might realise.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hnd
Okay, let's assume I am in the UK, should I consider such an offer?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

Without giving details of the FULL package it's impossible to give any advice.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 4:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The 'basic' element of the salary here can be skewed to keep gratuity lower or in line with about 60% of the total package.

So how does the total on offer here compare?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 4:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scamp
The 'basic' element of the salary here can be skewed to keep gratuity lower or in line with about 60% of the total package.

So how does the total on offer here compare?
You are absolutely right, the total package is 60-30-10. The total offer is exactly equal to my base salary in the US. Further, the bonus percentage in the offer is based on the basic salary only, which makes it much lower than my bonus in the US.

The worst part is that I live in a metro area in the US where the cost of living is substantially lower than the one in NYC or San Francisco metros. I do not see any financial incentive in accepting the offer package in Dubai where the rent is at least 4 times the rent here.

Last edited by statspro; Jul 24th 2017 at 5:01 am.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 4:56 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by statspro
You are absolutely right, the total package is 60-30-10. The total offer is exactly equal to my base salary in the US. Further, the bonus percentage in the offer is based on the basic salary only, which makes it much lower than my bonus in the US.
Unless I am missing something why are you even considering this?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 5:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Honestly, I am wondering myself. Except for the title promotion, I do not see any other incentive.

Last edited by statspro; Jul 24th 2017 at 5:29 am.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 5:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The worst part is that I live in a metro area in the US where the cost of living is substantially lower than the one in NYC or San Francisco metros. I do not see any financial incentive in accepting the offer package in Dubai where the rent is at least 4 times the rent here.
Originally Posted by weasel decentral
What he said.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Slap them in the face for wasting your time with a silly offer.

For future references, you should receive an offer of at least 50% more your current salary to make the move to the UAE.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:31 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I am wondering myself. Except for the title promotion, I do not see any other incentive.
The only way I can see it working is if the 60% plus the bonus in UAE stays below the US tax threshold and you gain based on the saving the tax you'd pay in the US.
Though that can probably only be marginal in any case.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Slap them in the face for wasting your time with a silly offer.

For future references, you should receive an offer of at least 50% more your current salary to make the move to the UAE.

DXBtoDOH is correct. You should not consider a Dubai offer unless it is at minimum 40-50% more than what you are currently making.

Your increase in title will not translate to a stepping stone or promotion in the US. When you leave Dubai, you will go back to whatever level you are at now, regardless of promotion in Dubai.

Whatever company is making you this offer, is trying to lowball you and do things on the cheap. It is possible they found other Americans to take the offer, who were out-of-work and just needed a job, any job, and so took that "offer." They came up with that figure from somewhere . . .

On your income tax, you can exclude foreign-earned income up to a certain amount, which is something like $100,000 per year. This is provided that you are resident in a foreign country for 330 days a year. US-generated income, like if you rent out your house, is still subject to tax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.