Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar, in and out, 30 days at a time?

Qatar, in and out, 30 days at a time?

Old May 3rd 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Qatar, in and out, 30 days at a time?

Hi,

This is my first post here, would appreciate any thoughts about this.

I've been offered some contract work in Doha. Not fancy employed status with benefits etc etc, just cash for my time and skills. Contract is open ended, could be 6 months could be 10 years. The client wants me on site asap, no problem for me I'm ready to roll, the 4-5 month, or more, lead time to do all of the processing for residency etc is a big issue for them. I can enter Qatar easily enough, UK passport gets me a 30 day stamp for QR100. At the end of the month I go home for a few days then back again.

How long can this reasonably go on for? I have heard from a couple of others with EU passports doing this for almost a year now with no issues so can I assume it's a 'reasonably' safe tactic? What might be the realistic down side?

Thanks
M
Old May 4th 2013, 6:08 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar, in and out, 30 days at a time?

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Hi,

This is my first post here, would appreciate any thoughts about this.

I've been offered some contract work in Doha. Not fancy employed status with benefits etc etc, just cash for my time and skills. Contract is open ended, could be 6 months could be 10 years. The client wants me on site asap, no problem for me I'm ready to roll, the 4-5 month, or more, lead time to do all of the processing for residency etc is a big issue for them. I can enter Qatar easily enough, UK passport gets me a 30 day stamp for QR100. At the end of the month I go home for a few days then back again.

How long can this reasonably go on for? I have heard from a couple of others with EU passports doing this for almost a year now with no issues so can I assume it's a 'reasonably' safe tactic? What might be the realistic down side?

Thanks
M
I'd be wary about planning to work in Qatar on a visitor visa. Your new employer (sponsor) can organise a business visa online and you enter the country legitimately for one month, which can be extended for a further 2 months.

That's wat I did, only took a few working days from UK telephone interview to being sat at my desk working in Qatar.

[J]

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; May 4th 2013 at 6:10 am.
Old May 4th 2013, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

I queried with my employer that I was here on a tourist visa and whether I could work legally - they said it was OK as we could show that I was in the process of obtaining Residency via my husband's sponsorship - but my husband was not allowed to arrive here to work on a tourist visa - he had to have a business visa. Again, as Johnnyboy said, it only took a week to obtain once contract formalities etc had been finalised. I'd insist on a business visa personally.
Old May 4th 2013, 7:20 am
Just Joined

irenearris1 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh stop i
Old May 4th 2013, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. I'll take it to them and see what they say. By the sound of things the business visa is not a big problem. I have previously visited Qatar to carry out project work for other non Qatar based employers on tourist visit free entry. Just don't want to push it too far.
Old May 4th 2013, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

You can renew a 1 month visa at the customs at airport to give you a second month without leaving Doha. Costs 100QAR.
Old May 5th 2013, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Ah, that's interesting. Do you know if it's a one off or ad-ifinitum? Does this apply for visitors buying a 100QR entry stamp on arrival or does it require a particular 1 month visa to start with?

Many thanks.
Old May 5th 2013, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

As far as i know you can only extend once, so it gives you 2 months without leaving. You can then return on new visa and extend again.

I just land and pay my 100qar and stay on tourist visa. I go to Dubai every weekend now so do not need to extend anymore
Old May 5th 2013, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by flood2
You can renew a 1 month visa at the customs at airport to give you a second month without leaving Doha. Costs 100QAR.
You can renew a tourist visa once at the passport office near to the Airport Orinx Rotana hotel. QR 100 very simple but don't do it a weekend (open 24/7 but there are no staff actually working on Friday and Saturday). Also beware that they will extend by 30 days from the day that you apply for the extension not by 30 days from the end of your current visa.
Old May 5th 2013, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks folks,

Super info here so it looks like I will have to stick around. My home is in Bangkok, has been for 15 years, don;t think I will be coming home every weekend but good to know that coming and going quite regular does not seem to be a problem.

A 2 month stay at a time might be almost perfect, noted about the renewal being from the done date not the end of current date.

Many thanks, think I'm done here for now.
Old May 6th 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Thanks folks,

Super info here so it looks like I will have to stick around. My home is in Bangkok, has been for 15 years, don;t think I will be coming home every weekend but good to know that coming and going quite regular does not seem to be a problem.

A 2 month stay at a time might be almost perfect, noted about the renewal being from the done date not the end of current date.

Many thanks, think I'm done here for now.
You could also have a weekend or two in Dubai to give you a break from the fun of Doha, flights around 900 QAR. That renews your visa
Old May 6th 2013, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Just be wary that if you get caught the fine is quite healthy. In DXB I think it's 50K for both you and your employer. Secondly if Doha is anything like Dubai (which as far as I know it is) you can't get much organised (car, phone, TV, apartment etc) without a visa or local ID.
Old May 7th 2013, 7:29 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Just be wary that if you get caught the fine is quite healthy. In DXB I think it's 50K for both you and your employer. Secondly if Doha is anything like Dubai (which as far as I know it is) you can't get much organised (car, phone, TV, apartment etc) without a visa or local ID.
Spot on. To me its not worth the risk and hassle being on a tourist Visa. Go onto atleast business which is very easy to do. Without an RP you can get a pay as you go phone and a rental car but that is about it. Renting a property could also be problematic, most of my friends who have been on business visa have had to rent expensive serviced accommodation as generally landlords won't risk letting to someone without cheques or trapped by an RP
Old May 7th 2013, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

With a business visa do you still have to pay 100 qar everytime you arrive? Can you get a egate card? Can you get alchohol license with it?
Old May 7th 2013, 8:29 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flood2
With a business visa do you still have to pay 100 qar everytime you arrive? Can you get a egate card? Can you get alchohol license with it?
You cannot get alcohol Licence without an RP and letter from your sponsor. You pay for the business Visa, so you don't have to pay for the tourist one. Regarding E-Gate I don't know but maybe CDB will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.