Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is Qatar the Next Dubai?

Is Qatar the Next Dubai?

Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:52 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Qatar the Next Dubai?

Originally Posted by Malteser
Indiegirl

Doha is very much like Dubai 10years ago. Everyone says that. I was in Dubai nearly 7 years ago and I remember it being so similar to Doha now. I am sure that we are in for a big change tho. There are huge plans for this country and of course theres no shortage of cahs and when a lot of ppl start moving out here things are bound to change. It has already become more expensive in one year so I am sure that the standard of living will keeping going up and up.

Will have to see what happens........
talking about exspensive ... when we arrive 5 yrs ago ... with QR 6500 you can live in a nice compound like beverly hills.

But now 10.000 QR you lucky if you can find a decent independent villa
Old Jun 6th 2006, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Indiegirl

It has already become more expensive in one year so I am sure that the standard of living will keeping going up and up.
Hey Malt!!! How have you been?
With all the so called 'development' taking place in Dubai, the standard of living has definitely come down for most. A few mega malls and hotels more, an indoor ski dome .......sorry I prefer Dubai the way it was 7-10 years ago.

Pity Qatar is going the Dubai way.

Rascal, yes, if Qatar is what Dubai was 10 years back, you will like it!

IG
Old Jun 6th 2006, 12:45 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
With all the so called 'development' taking place in Dubai, the standard of living has definitely come down for most. A few mega malls and hotels more, an indoor ski dome .......sorry I prefer Dubai the way it was 7-10 years ago.

IG
I seriously dont want it to become like Dubai tho it would be nice to have some more nice places to go to. The social life in general is fantastic here. Cannot keep up wt friends. Ok so very few clubs and bars but parties and get togethers in ppls houses happen all the time.

When u talk to Qataris they say that they dont want Qatar to become like Dubai in no way. They still want to have that laid back feeling and want the country to be more arabic than western.

But hey who knows wot will happen..........
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Calgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really nice

Originally Posted by novita77
no idea ... don't think really want to settle down in the desert.
nothing wrong with dessert i like them...less ppl

Khan
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgarian
nothing wrong with dessert i like them...less ppl

Khan

Less ppl...............but more camels
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Calgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really nice

Less ppl...............but more camels
Whats wrong having camel????? they dont annoy u anyway :scared:

Khan
Old Jun 7th 2006, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Rascal I havent worn any winter clothes for nearly 2 years now. We had the mildest winter this year but a very cold winter last year. We are in for a very HOT summer tho.......I still prefer the heat than the cold tho
Me too Malteser.
As a young kid I used to tell my parents that I thought I had been born in the wrong country lol I always wanted to emigrate to OZ. Somehow I ended up in NZ (wrong move) I wished I had stuck to my original plans of OZ.
Still, never been to Middle East but give me sunshine EVERY day and I'll be happy.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Whats wrong having camel????? they dont annoy u anyway :scared:

Khan
Makes a change from sheep. lol
Old Jun 13th 2006, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I am just having a look on here as my sister lives in Dubai. You say you prefer the heat to having a cold season, but how do you stand it? Can you even go out when it is 40+? And what about the sandstorms? It seems a bit harsh to me! But I have been known to spend all day inside on really hot days here in NZ
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jude J
I am just having a look on here as my sister lives in Dubai. You say you prefer the heat to having a cold season, but how do you stand it? Can you even go out when it is 40+? And what about the sandstorms? It seems a bit harsh to me! But I have been known to spend all day inside on really hot days here in NZ
Different heat Jude J.
Been in Tuscany at 46 degrees, yes it was HOT! But I find after 4 summers of living in NZ, that the sun in NZ is VERY fierce due to having no Ozone layer, therefore you will find it hotter in NZ in say 35 degree heat than 46 heat in other countries.
When in Brisbane, I was amazed how cool it seemed for such high temps of 36+, here in NZ, I would melt at that temp.
As for NZ winters, they just seem to go on, and on and on, thats one of the many reasons that I am outta here.
Sandstorms? Hey like Novita says...bodyscrub! lol
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

IG
I am getting all excited at being out there already, except I have to wait a few weeks to sort things out here first, still at least the hubby can have the apartment all nice n clean for when I arrive.Lol
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rascal
Makes a change from sheep. lol
whats wrong with sheep u can hunt and cook and eat....
Old Jun 13th 2006, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rascal
Different heat Jude J.
Been in Tuscany at 46 degrees, yes it was HOT! But I find after 4 summers of living in NZ, that the sun in NZ is VERY fierce due to having no Ozone layer, therefore you will find it hotter in NZ in say 35 degree heat than 46 heat in other countries.
When in Brisbane, I was amazed how cool it seemed for such high temps of 36+, here in NZ, I would melt at that temp.
As for NZ winters, they just seem to go on, and on and on, thats one of the many reasons that I am outta here.
Sandstorms? Hey like Novita says...bodyscrub! lol

Oh Ok, that makes sense! I remember now my husband saying after he came back from Brisbane that it is a different kind of hot over there.

I suppose coming from England I find the NZ winters very mild and not too long at all but then I do like days like today, beautiful blue sky but a bit chilly

Hope it all goes well with your move

Jude
Old Jun 14th 2006, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

whats wrong with sheep u can hunt and cook and eat....
No, all the best ones are already on the supermarket shelves of other countries.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jude J
Oh Ok, that makes sense! I remember now my husband saying after he came back from Brisbane that it is a different kind of hot over there.

I suppose coming from England I find the NZ winters very mild and not too long at all but then I do like days like today, beautiful blue sky but a bit chilly

Hope it all goes well with your move

Jude
Thanks, hubby leaves tomorrow I have to tie up loose ends here first before I leave.
I am also from Uk, first winter in NZ I thought it was mild to Ok, following winter wasn't quite so mild, it was frosty mornings but blue skies, but what makes it feel colder is the houses lack proper heating and insulation.
Five winters here and I have well and truly had enough.
Plan OZ after a 2 year stint in Qatar, unless of course Qatar pushes all the right buttons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.