Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar - company paying rent

Qatar - company paying rent

Old Oct 18th 2016, 11:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Qatar - company paying rent

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I got most of that
Some of the big contractors still do a lot of that, which is cracking if you can get it.

I swung 6 months free accommodation because they couldn't sort my visa. It was a nightmare but great for keeping costs down...
Old Oct 18th 2016, 11:43 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I've had some good packages and some basic ones, even within the same company when transferring between countries. Generally though in my experience, perhaps post dating the 2000's gold plated packages, I haven't had an overlap on hotel costs and housing allowance.

It would be the change in expectation or suddenly having to drum up the accommodation money that would be a pain. Or if I thought that the HR were deliberately trying to put forward a false impression of the terms prior to signing.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 12:11 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

'Scuse me, just fluffing up the goose down pillows on my feather bed.....
Old Oct 18th 2016, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Or if I thought that the HR were deliberately trying to put forward a false impression of the terms prior to signing.
Turns out, I've been telling people for years that we give two weeks.....when we actually give a month. Found out on Sunday. Oops.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 12:46 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Turns out, I've been telling people for years that we give two weeks.....when we actually give a month. Found out on Sunday. Oops.
That would be a pleasant surprise though, is it not written in the contract?
Old Oct 18th 2016, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

bmitten is an unknown quantity at this point

DXBtoDOH - exactly. There are just as many expats who can provided examples of companies who provided housing to them in the first month as those who didnt'

Scamp - I feel sorry for the people who have to deal with you (as a recruiter?)
Who wants to work for anyone as callous cold and ethical as you?
Had you understood ethics, you would have understood that what I said was, it was unethical of any company to mislead the employee into believing they were paying for accommodations, when the employee actual does the paying.
All the employer did was deduct it from the employees salary.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the big contractors still do a lot of that, which is cracking if you can get it.

I swung 6 months free accommodation because they couldn't sort my visa. It was a nightmare but great for keeping costs down...
I've had some really good ones and some ok ones , i'd never take a job which didn't cover my basic costs , as you get older you can pick and choose more wisely plus i'm not after the last shilling in the pot.

I have a role here that which demands me to be available and to travel at very short notice and to meet very very tight deadlines . it's a very specific industry and there's a premium for that , well there is sometimes
Old Oct 19th 2016, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bmitten
DXBtoDOH - exactly. There are just as many expats who can provided examples of companies who provided housing to them in the first month as those who didnt'

Had you understood ethics, you would have understood that what I said was, it was unethical of any company to mislead the employee into believing they were paying for accommodations, when the employee actual does the paying.
He's a good lad , just wait until you have dealings with the shit ones
Old Oct 19th 2016, 4:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
That would be a pleasant surprise though, is it not written in the contract?
To be honest I don't think it is. It's very flexible and HR sort it, not me thankfully. But now it's easy to explain they can have a month but it's out of their allowance, instead of two weeks, which people normally (and fair enough) panic over.

I feel sorry for people who have to deal with me too. Take my boss for example, he doesn't know yet but today I'm going to ask if he can give me a car and my transport allowance every month.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

today I'm going to ask if he can give me a car and my transport allowance every month.
Is that all? I'm going for a 100% payrise and asking if I can stay at home in bed all day!

Go big or go home!
Old Oct 19th 2016, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Does anyone commenting actually come from Doha? News flash Dubai people. Salaries in Doha are Base, plus transportation allowance, plus housing allowance, plus return flight, plus accomodation allowance. That is the what EVERY expat in Doha gets.
First month, or first weeks housing is usually paid too.
Dubai people, might I suggest you add this sentence to the beginning of everything write "Since I work in Dubai, I have no idea what is standard in Doha, but...."
Old Oct 20th 2016, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone commenting actually come from Doha? News flash Dubai people. Salaries in Doha are Base, plus transportation allowance, plus housing allowance, plus return flight, plus accomodation allowance. That is the what EVERY expat in Doha gets.
Dubai people, might I suggest you add this sentence to the beginning of everything write "Since I work in Dubai, I have no idea what is standard in Doha, but...."
Want a hand putting your toys back in the pram...?

NEWSFLASH.... a lot of folk commenting who work in Dubai have also lived and worked in other countries in the GCC.... and if not have friends and colleagues who live and work in other countries in the GCC.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 5:00 am
Knee deep and rising

Old Oct 20th 2016, 5:05 am
Just Joined

uh huh. can't stand to loose an argument so you result to childish insults and lies... dude, you never lived in Doha. You know your posts can be seen right? I'm sure you'll have another highly educated slam for me, and an perfect reason for why you talk bs on message boards. I guess the single life is rough, and you feel lonely & powerless. Thank goodness you can get all your needs met here
Old Oct 20th 2016, 5:42 am
Account Closed

Hang on a minute. In Doha you get housing AND accommodation?

I wonder if there are two Doha's because the one I've done lots of work with doesn't result in double bubble for everyone.

Look - I'm sure you've been shafted by a company somewhere and I'm sure it was a nasty surprise and I feel for you. But taking hotel accommodation and expecting accommodation allowance seems backward to me. It's getting a company car provided and a car allowance, it's getting flights provided and a flight allowance paid in cash. Call it what you want, but always check these things first.
Always, always check, ask the questions, get answers in writing and agree these things before getting on a plane. That's the safest way.

New folk to a new country with a new company need to ask advice, if they go in blind they can miss these things and if companies don't actively promote / share this information then they can feel hard done by - a question of ethics perhaps. But only because it's the persons money they're worried about. I'm sure many, many people join companies and don't care about the truly unethical shit that goes on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.