Qatar

Old Nov 2nd 2013, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Ang76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar

Hi guys

I'm currently employed in an international HR role based in the UK, paid c.145k inc bonus plus package.

I am married with no children and currently negotiating an offer.

Could you let me know what is a fair offer?

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar

$1.45 ?

Even i think its excessive but it is tax free !
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I would ask someone based in an international HR role. They would know

Sorry - no idea... matching your UK salary + free house / school fees is generally considered the target.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I would ask someone based in an international HR role. They would know

Sorry - no idea... matching your UK salary + free house / school fees is generally considered the target.
I certainly wouldn't give up a UK job for a job in Qatar with a matched salary
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
I certainly wouldn't give up a UK job for a job in Qatar with a matched salary
you didn't read the but about + housing and schooling then... 145k GBP + housing and schools would be a lot of change.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
you didn't read the but about + housing and schooling then... 145k GBP + housing and schools would be a lot of change.
I did read it but discounted it as these are costs that you incur as part of living here and both are expensive.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 3:05 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ang76
Hi guys

I'm currently employed in an international HR role based in the UK, paid c.145k inc bonus plus package.

I am married with no children and currently negotiating an offer.

Could you let me know what is a fair offer?

Thanks
Remember to factor the following:

(i) Most HR roles in Qatar are filled by Qataris, particularly those of the sort of salary in your above post
(ii) You'll have zero job security, Companies fire at will out here, and you can find yourself back in the UK facing a nasty tax bill unless you complete a full tax year (6 April 2015 at the earliest)
(iii) Holiday pay, sickness cover, health care, pension (if any) will generally be non existent or crap
(iv) Housing - typically twice the cost of the UK and half the quality
(v) Employers see it as their duty to lie to staff, so make sure there is no ambiguity in your contract (e.g. is you annual leave working or callendar days, will you be paid your statutory gratuity benefit at the end of your contract, are you guaranteed a multi-use Exit Permit?)

My experience anyway.

[J]
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

The whole business of human remenants in the middle east is that of shoddy incompetent, unreliable dishonest companies unable to recruit individuals through being honest and telling candidates what they can reliably expext.

HR in the Gulf (sorry Scamp...) is an industry with all the respectability of the News 0f The World.

Sure you want to enter the shark pool? If you're that inclined, you're sure to be as shallow as a puddle...
Old Nov 4th 2013, 3:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I did read it but discounted it as these are costs that you incur as part of living here and both are expensive.
You incur those costs in the UK too...

OP: 145k + Housing + Schooling will be a good target to aim for.

I'd be surprised if you get there (depending on industry).
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
You incur those costs in the UK too...

OP: 145k + Housing + Schooling will be a good target to aim for.

I'd be surprised if you get there (depending on industry).
And a lot of people still continue to incur accommodation costs in their own country when they move to the ME as they know that the move is a temporary one.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:56 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Remember to factor the following:

(i) Most HR roles in Qatar are filled by Qataris, particularly those of the sort of salary in your above post
(ii) You'll have zero job security, Companies fire at will out here, and you can find yourself back in the UK facing a nasty tax bill unless you complete a full tax year (6 April 2015 at the earliest)
(iii) Holiday pay, sickness cover, health care, pension (if any) will generally be non existent or crap
(iv) Housing - typically twice the cost of the UK and half the quality
(v) Employers see it as their duty to lie to staff, so make sure there is no ambiguity in your contract (e.g. is you annual leave working or callendar days, will you be paid your statutory gratuity benefit at the end of your contract, are you guaranteed a multi-use Exit Permit?)

My experience anyway.

[J]

That is the best advice especially (i)

Senior HR positions here are almost always filled by a Qatari as its a good place to stick them on a bigger salary and they cannot do that much damage. I would not plan on staying any longer than a year, if that works for you do it.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

And a lot of people still continue to incur accommodation costs in their own country when they move to the ME as they know that the move is a temporary one.
But an x% increase on basic salary because it's now tax free will more than cover a mortgage at home, PLUS then housing provided in Qatar....it's kind of a no-brainer.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

But the old "tax free" line doesn't always work - look at the extra costs we all have and it soon negates the tax saving. Luckily our basic salaries are better here than we had at home so we put up with the job insecurity, driving etc, rules and regs on paying a high rent 12 months in advance etc. Sorry to be negative but that's my experience and we have been in the ME for a fair number of years. Luckily our basic salaries are better here than we had a home otherwise we would not be here.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:51 am
Account Closed

But the old "tax free" line doesn't always work - look at the extra costs we all have and it soon negates the tax saving. Luckily our basic salaries are better here than we had at home so we put up with the job insecurity, driving etc, rules and regs on paying a high rent 12 months in advance etc. Sorry to be negative but that's my experience and we have been in the ME for a fair number of years. Luckily our basic salaries are better here than we had a home otherwise we would not be here.
I don't disagree.

But at the moment, 145k =

72,500 QAR
+ Housing, let's say 20,000
+ Schooling - there are no kids, 0
+ Flights, Two for self+partner? 1,833 monthly
+ Car Allowance, 3,000 to hire something nice
= QAR 97,333 monthly or 194,666 sterling tax free / 347,000 GROSS

At the moment, the OP takes home:

87,287 sterling annually (nett), or 7,273 monthy. Minus, let's say 1500 for mortgage and 250 on repaying the car finance...5,523 disposable.

97,333 package above, with costs identical as listed, leaves the basic as disposable, which is, giver or take 12,200 sterling. Pay the mortgage back home (1500 again) = 10,700 disposable.

That is over double the disposable income, running two houses and paying for the basic (house/car/flights etc).

I don't think many people would reject double-bubble, keeping your own home without having to rent it AND having the cash to pay for everything in Qatar.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Ang76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, hope you're all well.

Been in Doha a while and I understand all the posts now !

Things worked out quite well and we are actually enjoying it but then we do get away a fair bit!

My wife has decided to go back to work and is to be offered a VP role with Qatar Airways. Was wondering if anyone knew what package they tend to offer grade 11s?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.