Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Prescription Medication to Qatar

Prescription Medication to Qatar

Old Nov 4th 2017, 2:01 pm
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prescription Medication to Qatar

This is in UK papers today and yesterday. Never do it.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 5:06 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheSilverFox
It’s treated as drug smuggling. They are on the banned list and it is published by the Department of Health etc. so can’t feign ignorance I’m afraid.
I am sure that she knew what she was doing. I am not sure that you can stratify bringing in illegal drugs but it isn't on the face of it on the same level as bringing in 100kg of heroin with obvious intent to supply to a large population.

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Tramadol the drug of choice nearly everywhere in the M.East as well, get caught with just one and it is jail time!
That's interesting. Are codeine based painkillers banned there? Tramadol is rarely used here in Canada but we can prescribe it. It is widely used in the UK and in America.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 6:55 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Codeine based medication is restricted throughout the ME.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
It’s a controlled substance in the US...I can buy over the counter meds containing codeine here in Canada and in the UK.

I remember reading about an Australian woman who took meds prescribed by her doctor containing codeine into Singapore. She was jailed and it took quite a while for the Aus. Government to negotiate her release.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:23 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
So what do they use as a painkiller when something more than paracetamol or ibuprofen is required?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It’s a controlled substance in the US...I can buy over the counter meds containing codeine here in Canada and in the UK.

I remember reading about an Australian woman who took meds prescribed by her doctor containing codeine into Singapore. She was jailed and it took quite a while for the Aus. Government to negotiate her release.
Re codeine in Canada, they are likely to remove Tylenol #1 OTC in the near future.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Re codeine in Canada, they are likely to remove Tylenol #1 OTC in the near future.
Thanks for that info.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Yes, codeine's on the controlled substances list for Singapore and requires an import licence. I did some research before my last trip there, and subsequently applied for an import licence for two prescription drugs, Targin (oxycodone and naloxone) and Panadeine Forte (paracetamol and codeine). As well as completing an application form for the licence I had to supply a letter from my doctor confirming that I required the drugs, a copy of my passport and a copy of my itinerary.

Got a very nice email back from the Health Science Authority with my import licence for the Targin attached, but also advising that the amount of codeine in the Panadeine Forte was small enough not to require a licence.

I was glad I printed that email out because my carry-on bag was searched at Singapore airport and the customs officer wanted to see paperwork for both drugs.

Anyone who takes any type of drugs into another country without checking the rules is bonkers.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 6:55 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Stinkypup;12374760]So what do they use as a painkiller when something more than paracetamol or ibuprofen is required

If something stronger is needed you go to a doctor and get a prescription - not that difficult.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 7:54 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You do need to be very careful, this is from Egypt and very very recent.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/british-wo...093411352.html
Old Nov 5th 2017, 8:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You do need to be very careful, this is from Egypt and very very recent.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/british-wo...093411352.html
Already referred to further up the thread
Old Nov 5th 2017, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Stinkypup;12374760]So what do they use as a painkiller when something more than paracetamol or ibuprofen is required?

Camel piss
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

big b is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm moving to Riyadh next month. I am prescribed Metformin & Atorvastatin (Type 2 Diabetic).... How do I go about bringing some into KSA? Or should I just get them in KSA?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

TheSilverFox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by big b
I'm moving to Riyadh next month. I am prescribed Metformin & Atorvastatin (Type 2 Diabetic).... How do I go about bringing some into KSA? Or should I just get them in KSA?
Check with British Embassy and Department of KSA Health. If you have documentation in order, there should be no problem. If you arrive laden down with prescription drugs with little paperwork then that’s not a good idea.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 11:54 am
Just Joined

big b is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice Silver Fox