Reload this Page >

Paying rent in Dubai in cash

Paying rent in Dubai in cash

Old Jun 8th 2021, 8:12 am
Just Joined

nabs1027 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying rent in Dubai in cash

Hello
I have moved in Dubai 7 months ago and we rented an apartment after coming in.
When we took the apartment, it was agreed with the agency that the rent will be paid in 2 cheques. I gave the agent the 2 cheques and got the Ejari done, a few days later the agent requested that because the landlord lives abroad and they have to pay for the purchase of the apartment, I should pay the first rent installment in cash and he would handover my cheque. I agreed to that and paid the rent in cash and got my cheque back.
6 months later now, the agent has called me again and said because the landlord lives abroad and does not have a bank account in the UAE i should pay the rent in cash and he would give me my cheque back.
Is this normal in Dubai and could I get into trouble later?
Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2021, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying rent in Dubai in cash

Originally Posted by nabs1027
Hello
I have moved in Dubai 7 months ago and we rented an apartment after coming in.
When we took the apartment, it was agreed with the agency that the rent will be paid in 2 cheques. I gave the agent the 2 cheques and got the Ejari done, a few days later the agent requested that because the landlord lives abroad and they have to pay for the purchase of the apartment, I should pay the first rent installment in cash and he would handover my cheque. I agreed to that and paid the rent in cash and got my cheque back.
6 months later now, the agent has called me again and said because the landlord lives abroad and does not have a bank account in the UAE i should pay the rent in cash and he would give me my cheque back.
Is this normal in Dubai and could I get into trouble later?
Thanks
Something iffy, but probably no problems for you. Don't pay it and see what happens - looks like he is in a position of weakness.
Old Jun 8th 2021, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply and a relief hearing that there shouldn't be any problems for me.

Me and my wife were discussing it and we are thinking of asking the agent to ask the landlord to send 2 emails - one instructing me to pay the rent in cash and the second to confirm that the rent has been paid. (for our records which could act as receipts)

But then i am thinking, how easy it will be a create an email account if someone wants to deceit.
Old Jun 8th 2021, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply and a relief hearing that there shouldn't be any problems for me.

Me and my wife were discussing it and we are thinking of asking the agent to ask the landlord to send 2 emails - one instructing me to pay the rent in cash and the second to confirm that the rent has been paid. (for our records which could act as receipts)

But then i am thinking, how easy it will be a create an email account if someone wants to deceit.
This is a fair point - make the guy write out the receipt in front of you, Emirates ID, passport copies etc. Have the landlord send all the same. Getting the cheque back is certainly helpful. Lots of whatsapp screenshots save etc.

More I think about it, you won't get in trouble, but you could get screwed.
Old Jun 9th 2021, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Similar happened with my daughter in Abu Dhabi with her apartment a few years ago. I was extremely cautious to the point I thought the agent was up to no good, however it actually turned out to be genuine.
We didn't hand over any cash, I communicated directly with the landlord, I asked for his EID, passport copy and bank details and as they all matched I simply made a bank transfer once my daughter received the cheque back. This obviously cuts the agent out of the equation and minimises the risk a little.

As has been mentioned above you are in a strong position as you have already fulfilled your obligations by handing over cheques so if the landlord wants to deviate from that arrangement then he/she has to play ball or you simply tell him to cash the cheque.

Having said the above it also somewhat depends on the relationship you have with the agent etc etc

Last edited by UKMS; Jun 9th 2021 at 10:11 am.
Old Jun 9th 2021, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

I've made all rent payments by bank transfer last couple of years, mostly because both the landlord and I got fed up with my cheques being returned because the signatures didn't "match".
Old Jun 10th 2021, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies guys.
The only difference between the scenarios you all have described and mine is that you have paid the rent via bank transfer, my agent is asking for cash payment. Obviously with bank transfers you have an electronic record however for cash though nothing unless i ask for a receipt.
What I have done however is asked the agent to have the landlord send me an email instructing me to give the rent in cash to the agent (specifying the name of the agent). The email from the landlord has now arrived and I have checked to see if the email address of the landlord is the same as the one mentioned in the tenancy contract and also the one used during EMICOOL registration which in this case it is.
So now I have an electronic record of the instructions from the landlord which they cannot deny.
I have also asked for another email from landlord once I pay the agent the rent, to confirm that the rent has been received. This will again be evidence that the rent was paid.
I hope I have covered it from all aspects.
What are your thoughts?
Old Jun 10th 2021, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

I had exactly the same situation with my agent landlord a few years ago. First payment and deposit were in cash with the landlord present, further payments issued in cheques for when the landlord had opened a bank account. When the first cheque was due I was asked to buy it back, which I duly did on confirmation from that landlord. The agent promptly did a runner with deposit and three months rent - travelling to SA for "business", sending crap photo copies of a Pakistani girl's passport claiming she'd stolen all the cheques in his office and was blackmailing him etc etc. After that I simply wired the money to the LL's account in the UK every three months, which was a much better solution for everyone than some archaic reliance on cheques.

Old Jun 10th 2021, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

The only difference between the scenarios you all have described and mine is that you have paid the rent via bank transfer, my agent is asking for cash payment. Obviously with bank transfers you have an electronic record however for cash though nothing unless i ask for a receipt.
What I have done however is asked the agent to have the landlord send me an email instructing me to give the rent in cash to the agent (specifying the name of the agent). The email from the landlord has now arrived and I have checked to see if the email address of the landlord is the same as the one mentioned in the tenancy contract and also the one used during EMICOOL registration which in this case it is.
So now I have an electronic record of the instructions from the landlord which they cannot deny.
I have also asked for another email from landlord once I pay the agent the rent, to confirm that the rent has been received. This will again be evidence that the rent was paid.
What are your thoughts?
Presumably the landlord has a bank account somewhere - why not ask to make a transfer direct to that if you're concerned about handing over cash. It'll make it much harder to get the cheque back from the agent though.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cypselos
Presumably the landlord has a bank account somewhere - why not ask to make a transfer direct to that if you're concerned about handing over cash. It'll make it much harder to get the cheque back from the agent though.
Or literally do nothing. No need to make someone else's problem your own.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

What are your thoughts?
You are correct that others have made bank transfers and thats would be good advice to take. Its all well and good asking for various instructions by email but it doesn't stop the agent or anyone else doing a runner with the cash (and being ultra cautious emails can be spoofed)
I dont see why the agent needs to be involved in handling the cash ? or if you are that concerned do as Millhouse has suggested and do nothing.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.

Just to update, I had received the email from the landlord with the PoA and the agent cc'ed in the email to handover the rent as cash to the agent and he will return the cheque. Following this I had a meeting with the agent, and got my cheque back and handed over the cash.

I have then received an email from the landlord confirming that the rent has been received. I hope this is all good and well now.