Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Package info on Oman

Package info on Oman

Old Feb 20th 2017, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Package info on Oman

I needed some info. on Oman. what is a good package to live on for a husband wife and 2 year old in Muscat.
The offer I am enquiring specifically is for working on Masirah Island, Oman.
16,000 Omani riyal per year, accommodation, medical and annual leave of 3 weeks after every 20 weeks work with return flights provided.
Although I am not seriously considering moving to an Island, I needed to know for future reference what a good package would look life if was interested to work in mainland Oman.

P.S. I am currently on £53K p/a in the UK.

Last edited by Tahir84; Feb 20th 2017 at 8:30 am.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Package info on Oman

I'm sure you've already done your current conversions and realised that's a bit of a drop from what you're on now. Having said that, I'd seriously consider moving to Oman - it's a little but different to the other GCC countries in my view, less hustle and bustle, and a lot more laid back. However, I probably wouldn't go if it meant such a big drop in cash.

I think Oman does tend to pay a little less than the other GCC countries, but then all depends on the industry.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tahir84
I am not seriously considering moving to an Island...
you do realise you're living on one, right?

Masirah? interesting location. Didn't think there was much there, let alone a job. What kind of job is it?
Old Feb 21st 2017, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
I'm sure you've already done your current conversions and realised that's a bit of a drop from what you're on now. Having said that, I'd seriously consider moving to Oman - it's a little but different to the other GCC countries in my view, less hustle and bustle, and a lot more laid back. However, I probably wouldn't go if it meant such a big drop in cash.

I think Oman does tend to pay a little less than the other GCC countries, but then all depends on the industry.

yes, it seemed a bit of a drop. however my yearly take home is around 34K which is what I am being offered. Then I am getting accom, med and flights paid for etc. Not sure how much I might spend on food, transport, entertainment in Oman as info on this forum is limited. Not that I read my response, the offer doesn't sound too bad unless I am blatantly missing the obvious.

Originally Posted by sicklyman
you do realise you're living on one, right?

Masirah? interesting location. Didn't think there was much there, let alone a job. What kind of job is it?
I do, actually, thanks for reminding me

Google maps don't show much population on the island, 12 small villages. There is an airforce base and role is engineering/maintenance.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:13 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tahir84
yes, it seemed a bit of a drop. however my yearly take home is around 34K which is what I am being offered. Then I am getting accom, med and flights paid for etc. Not sure how much I might spend on food, transport, entertainment in Oman as info on this forum is limited. Not that I read my response, the offer doesn't sound too bad unless I am blatantly missing the obvious.

I do, actually, thanks for reminding me

Google maps don't show much population on the island, 12 small villages. There is an airforce base and role is engineering/maintenance.
Masirah island is high on my to do list: last major destination in Oman that I haven't yet got to from Dubai. Some of my friends have been, more than once. It is fairly remote from anything much, connected by ferry to the mainland though that is now a scheduled regular service rather than the take your chances "depart when full" affair of yore. There is one hotel (2 star-ish) and nowhere to get booze... It is very unspoilt though that is changing apparently. Lovely deserted beaches which are major turtle nesting sites and you can see them in a natural environment unlike the chelonian circus around Ras al Hadd. Err, and that's about it.

There is a plan to build a bridge to the mainland and encourage development though the Oman government is broke so that is unlikely to see the light of day for some time...
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, Oman is pinching the pennies at the moment and there is uncertainty over what will happen when the Sultan departs. Many are predicting a power struggle.

As for wages, its not great but you're unlikely to have much to spend it on when living on the island.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

well, although the salary is pitiful, it's one of those life experiences which I don't think you would regret if you took the job. After all, there are riches in more things than money.

I spent two years working on linguistic survey expeditions in the Papua New Guinean rainforest in my early forties. Salary? Ha! I had to raise my own money to do the work! But, boy, I will never forget those two years. Best job I've ever had... probably ever will have.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Aye. Can see that. It must have been like this

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Originally Posted by sicklyman

I spent two years working on linguistic survey expeditions in the Papua New Guinean rainforest in my early forties. Salary? Ha! I had to raise my own money to do the work! But, boy, I will never forget those two years. Best job I've ever had... probably ever will have.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone earning £53,000p.a. in the Yookay think of moving to the ME ? For religious reasons ?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

asjglx will become famous soon enough

The salary looks a little low to me. Remember that the exchange rate back to GBP is good at the moment, I think I got £2.09 for my Omani Rials the other day. When I first arrived here 3 years ago I was getting more like £1.75, probably even less. I don't expect the exchange rate to stay like this forever, so be careful when negotiating to make sure that you could still afford everything should it drop significantly.

Masirah Island is beautiful. I didn't realise the air base was that busy, I thought it was just used for fuel stops.

It's a bit of a drive to Muscat, and I would expect that you would want to visit civilisation every now and again. There's a few places nearby but they don't have much.

As mentioned above, the government here is broke, so don't expect that bridge any time soon! I'm not so concerned about a power struggle when the Sultan does one day pass, I think expat life will continue as normal. I can't see it changing too much because the country would crash and burn without us. If anything the country would embark on more modernisation which would eventually bring in more tourism and business.

Feel free to PM me any direct questions.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scot47
Why would anyone earning £53,000p.a. in the Yookay think of moving to the ME ? For religious reasons ?
living north of the border it might be hard to envision a world where people do anything for neither God nor money...
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Aye. Can see that. It must have been like this

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
pretty much
Old Mar 1st 2017, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

scot47, It was just something I was contacted last week about. Oman is not on my radar so a call with an offer got me confused hence I turned to BE forum for advice.
I will try to specifically answer your question by saying it is not for religious reasons, I have enough religious freedom in the UK (currently). WHY I am considering to move to GCC, because I think I can save some money over there.
Based on advice on this thread, I will pass on the offer to someone else.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

I dont understand this comment.

Surely the majority of people moving from the UK will be earning substantially more than 53k p.a before leaving for the ME. This place wants the highly skilled.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
I dont understand this comment.

Surely the majority of people moving from the UK will be earning substantially more than 53k p.a before leaving for the ME. This place wants the highly skilled.
Ehhh, I earned way less than 53k when I left the UK as a 26yr old.... And if I am honest, the majority of the folk I know would be in a similar boat. More like half that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.