Reload this Page >

Opening bank account from UK

Opening bank account from UK

Old Jun 26th 2017, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

JCoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening bank account from UK

Hi All,

Fiancée and I are relocating to Abu Dhabi within the next couple of months, and I was just wondering if it's possible to open a bank account from the UK so it's done/partially set up at least by the time we arrive?

I've heard it's a chore once you're out there so thought I'd try and do it earlier if possible.

Thanks !
Old Jun 26th 2017, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening bank account from UK

Originally Posted by JCoop
Hi All,

Fiancée and I are relocating to Abu Dhabi within the next couple of months, and I was just wondering if it's possible to open a bank account from the UK so it's done/partially set up at least by the time we arrive?

I've heard it's a chore once you're out there so thought I'd try and do it earlier if possible.

Thanks !
I can't speak of other banks but if you bank with HSBC Premier, you can set up a savings account from the U.K. but it's not quick or that easy, from memory your will need your formal offer of employment and possibly other documents.

From my own recent experience it's not a chore opening a bank account when you arrive providing you have all the required documents. Most banks will open a savings account when you arrive and convert to a current account once you have your visa stamp and emirates ID, mine was all done in a couple of hours.

I'm sure you are aware that as you are unmarried your banking arrangements will have to be separate.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

JCoop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UKMS
I can't speak of other banks but if you bank with HSBC Premier, you can set up a savings account from the U.K. but it's not quick or that easy, from memory your will need your formal offer of employment and possibly other documents.

From my own recent experience it's not a chore opening a bank account when you arrive providing you have all the required documents. Most banks will open a savings account when you arrive and convert to a current account once you have your visa stamp and emirates ID, mine was all done in a couple of hours.

I'm sure you are aware that as you are unmarried your banking arrangements will have to be separate.
Thanks for the response. We'll be married by the time we come out to AD so wouldn't be an issue, but I actually never even thought about that! Don't know whether it's better to have joint account or just keep two separate accounts, I'll do some digging and see if there are any pros/cons of both.

It seems it's not actually as much hassle opening a bank account as I was led to believe, so I'll probably just wait until I arrive.

Thanks for the help !
Old Jun 26th 2017, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

one step at a time... get here and get working first... plenty of other stuff to worry about at the moment... like spending as much time in the nearest beer garden as you can.

If your employer is not offering you a cash advance of some kind to tide you over until your first paycheque, stay in the UK and find a better employer.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

opening a bank account is dead simple and straight forward, assuming you have all the right documentation ie
passport with visa page
Employment contract
Salary Transfer Letter
And if your company is listed with the bank, it's even more easier
Old Jun 27th 2017, 8:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCoop
Thanks for the response. We'll be married by the time we come out to AD so wouldn't be an issue, but I actually never even thought about that! Don't know whether it's better to have joint account or just keep two separate accounts, I'll do some digging and see if there are any pros/cons of both.

It seems it's not actually as much hassle opening a bank account as I was led to believe, so I'll probably just wait until I arrive.

Thanks for the help !
Do it when you get here are it's a quick process and you should have separate accounts, ideally with different bank. Under local law all accounts are frozen in the event of death so you each need to have access to funds.

It take a very long time to unfreeze them so you just keep here what you need and move money out of the UAE. Let me know if you'd like info on the best way of moving between currencies and offshore bank accounts.