Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Online Grocery shopping in Abu Dhabi

Online Grocery shopping in Abu Dhabi

Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Online Grocery shopping in Abu Dhabi

Back in the UK we use Tesco delivery service a lot. Same price, and just loads more convenient.

Does anyone use online shopping in the UAE? The cost of groceries seems to be really high, so I'm looking to see how we can avoid spending too much. My wife will be giving up her decent job to come here so we'll be living off just one salary.

What online shopping is available? Is fulfilme.com any good, and does it save money compared to going to Geant or Waitrose?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online Grocery shopping in Abu Dhabi

carefour/geants is the cheapest out here...but the food quality is shyte. I wouldn't even contemplate ordering online.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Did it once, was alright. Did it again, was a disaster.

Until Waitrose do it, I wouldn't bother.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Carrefour is common and it's not shyte, despite what Mission says. I'm fussy about food and find their stuff mostly fine (though I can't comment on their meat or seafood, but they have a high turnover so it should be fine). They have both regular and organic produce, mostly sourced from Europe, Australia and elsewhere in Middle East. Excellent cheese counter. Big range of store-brand products just as you find in France. Carrefour can be quite busy so go early. Note that there's the big Carrefour hypermarkets and the smaller Carrefour express, the expresses have the leftover stuff and lower turnover for the produce, so be mindful.

Spinneys and Waitrose are the same supermarkets with different names (don't be confused by it, Spinneys is the local supermarket that bought the right to the Waitrose branding for the UAE). Looks like a proper Western upscale supermarket, which is why people pay over the odds for their stuff even though it's not really that better than Carrefour and most of the stuff found at Spinneys/Waitrose are also found at Carrefour but at a stiffer mark up. Neither are quite like the actual Waitrose in the UK.

As for online shopping, your wife isn't working, tell her to go to the market at 9 AM on Tuesday morning and she'll be fine.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 11:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Carrefour is common and it's not shyte, despite what Mission says. I'm fussy about food and find their stuff mostly fine (though I can't comment on their meat or seafood, but they have a high turnover so it should be fine). They have both regular and organic produce, mostly sourced from Europe, Australia and elsewhere in Middle East. Excellent cheese counter. Big range of store-brand products just as you find in France. Carrefour can be quite busy so go early. Note that there's the big Carrefour hypermarkets and the smaller Carrefour express, the expresses have the leftover stuff and lower turnover for the produce, so be mindful.

Spinneys and Waitrose are the same supermarkets with different names (don't be confused by it, Spinneys is the local supermarket that bought the right to the Waitrose branding for the UAE). Looks like a proper Western upscale supermarket, which is why people pay over the odds for their stuff even though it's not really that better than Carrefour and most of the stuff found at Spinneys/Waitrose are also found at Carrefour but at a stiffer mark up. Neither are quite like the actual Waitrose in the UK.

As for online shopping, your wife isn't working, tell her to go to the market at 9 AM on Tuesday morning and she'll be fine.
I'm ending this once and for all.

Meat quality in Carrefour is OK. But almost none at all is fresh, all defrosted so can't be frozen.
Meat in Spinneys / Waitrose is better. Better tasting, better quality.

Rest of the shit is comparable. I don't buy the expensive flown in cucumbers, so if it's slightly different in price then meh. It may not be as nice as Waitrose in Salisbury but it's still a lot nicer than other supermarkets out here.

Carrefour and other cheaper are good for cleaning products and that sort of thing but if you want to go to Carrefour at the weekend in MoE you need your head testing. It's hell on earth.

Honestly don't get the issue with going to a nicer supermarket, whether perceived or you find real difference. It's like saying do you want to drive a BMW or a Lancer. If you can afford either then why driver a Lancer?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing wrong with refreezing food that's already been frozen before.

It's an urban myth. I suspect it's because some people thinking that freezing "resets the clock", so for meat that lasts a week you can leave it defrosted 5 days, freeze it, unfreeze it a month later and leave it another 5 days. Too hard to explain to people, so they just say do not refreeze.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Best meat is in the organic shop, or LuLu. Forget the other places.

Spinney's sell chicken breasts the size of footballs. Would love to see those chickens... or the machine that pumps in all the salty water that comes out of it when it's cooked.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 3:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dominoman
There's nothing wrong with refreezing food that's already been frozen before.

It's an urban myth. I suspect it's because some people thinking that freezing "resets the clock", so for meat that lasts a week you can leave it defrosted 5 days, freeze it, unfreeze it a month later and leave it another 5 days. Too hard to explain to people, so they just say do not refreeze.
Genuinely didn't know / have never looked into this. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Best meat is in the organic shop, or LuLu. Forget the other places.

Spinney's sell chicken breasts the size of footballs. Would love to see those chickens... or the machine that pumps in all the salty water that comes out of it when it's cooked.
Good point, I think I'll go and buy some stacked salmonella from the overflowing puddles of chicken juice on the shelves in Carrefour.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

How many people do you know got salmonella from Carrefour chicken?

I've never bought their chickens but I see all the shoppers loading up on chicken and plenty of mates who buy chicken there and no one has ever complained....

Originally Posted by Scamp
Genuinely didn't know / have never looked into this. Thanks.

Good point, I think I'll go and buy some stacked salmonella from the overflowing puddles of chicken juice on the shelves in Carrefour.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 5:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
How many people do you know got salmonella from Carrefour chicken?

I've never bought their chickens but I see all the shoppers loading up on chicken and plenty of mates who buy chicken there and no one has ever complained....
Loads probably. Maybe none. Maybe 34. I don't know....but picking up a packet of cling-filmed chicken covered in raw chicken juices off a supermarket shelf is rank.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Just before pay day: Geant
Just after pay day: Park n Shop

Best for...
Fresh meat: Geant
Fresh veg: same same (P&S prices are surprisingly comparable)
Cheese: Park n Shop (I'm partial to a nice piece of Wensleydale)
Toiletries/boring house stuff: Geant
Lovely expat things: Park n Shop (35 dibs for Monster Munch but hey ho)

Best times to go:
Geant: Friday at 9.00am. Any later and it's destruction derby near the fruit and veg but you do get free coffee and croissants.
Park n Shop: Any time. There may be a few spoiled, noisy brats but in the whole, not bad.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Loads probably. Maybe none. Maybe 34. I don't know....but picking up a packet of cling-filmed chicken covered in raw chicken juices off a supermarket shelf is rank.
Petal