Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Omani Driving License

Omani Driving License

Old Aug 18th 2014, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice
Default Omani Driving License

I have UK, UAE, Qatari and Thai Driving License...How do I get the Omani Driving Licence?
Old Aug 18th 2014, 1:34 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Omani Driving License

You'll need residency first as you'll have to show your ID card. Then go to the licence issuing place on the same road as the Golden Tulip opposite the airport (ie crom the Golden Tulip head towards Muttrah, Ghala). Make sure your photo has the right colour background - blue. If you wear glasses make sure you take them with you, too, as there is a basic eye test.

Can't remember if we showed our UAE licences or our UK licences, think it was probably the UK ones. Anyway, it was a couple of years' ago now so can't remember all the details but it was pretty straightforward and if we got stuck there was always somebody who could point us in the right direction.

Would have thought that this is the kind of thing the company PRO should help with. If not, as I say, it's really pretty easy to do oneself. If we could do it I'm sure anybody can
Old Aug 18th 2014, 3:18 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Take PRO - smile, get an eye test at the ROP, show UK licence, pick up Omani after about 10-15 minutes. bring credit card to pay for it. no cash.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

My UK license is the old type with no photo ID, but it is still valid...
The other licenses I have have photo IDs.

I don't really have a credit card though...but I do have a debit card.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 9:40 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Just needs to work in their machines. It's part of the anti-corruption drive - no cash in any government buildings. You'll find the same when you go to immigration to get your residency ID card (which I thought you needed first before the driving licence, but rules change).
Old Aug 19th 2014, 9:51 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

@ OS - yes, you do need your ID/residence before you can get a driving licence.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

jinoman is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand even to open a bank account, the residence card is required, is this true? If this is the case then how can they expect some one to have a bank card prior to pay their residence card fees?
Old Aug 20th 2014, 3:01 am
womble

Surely you have one from where you lived previously?
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

I wonder if the ROP accept the older style UK driving licences which have no photo....
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:26 am
womble

dunno - mine was new style card with photo
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

would it be easy to send the paper type license back to UK to get it exchanged for the new style with photo type?
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Talked to my lovely Omani PRO, he says that my UK license is not acceptable, in this outdated format, but the UAE license would do nicely thank you, of course it must be surrendered to ROP who will issue a new Omani License. I think I can live with that for now...
Old Aug 26th 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

I went today to the ROP with a co-worker who is Jordanian, we applied for the license exchange and we were successful. The Officers who examined my old style paper UK license were reluctant and there was a lot of consultations with their superiors but in the end they agreed to do it for me. I had to do an eye test, 2 blue background passport photos and that was it. I did not show my other licenses, (from Thailand, UAE and Qatar) lest they confiscated them. And of course my debit card did not work so we had to be nice to a heavy set Omani Gentleman who kindly offered his debit card and we paid him in cash....All in all a happy day...And my third-hand KIA sportage SUV from Dubai is being re-registered and rumour says it will be allocated to me...