Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Oman visit - getting visas in advance?

Oman visit - getting visas in advance?

Old Apr 29th 2016, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold
Default Oman visit - getting visas in advance?

Hi all,
we go to Oman quite often, and always get the visas at the border. On quite a few occasions, when it is busy, the queues have been hideous. I know one can get visas in advance from the Omani embassy - but does anyone know if these then enable one to skip the queues? Or do they still make you queue up with all the people needing visas (as I was once told is what happens)?
thanks.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oman visit - getting visas in advance?

No idea mate. I'd imagine the 2 trips to the Oman embassy would be the same or more amount of time than at the border, but I guess if you have a PRO from work that can do the running without you attending, then it may save some time.

My money would be on you still having to queue though.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

The embassy is close to us, and twice we've had queues of over 3 hours at the border, so worth trying if someone can confirm that one doesn't nevertheless still have to get out and join the hordes of visas-on-arrival people... But would definitely prefer to hear from someone who has tried this!
Old May 1st 2016, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

You're better just picking a quieter border post or going at a time likely to not be as busy. Last few times I have been through it was a 15 min stop.
Old May 1st 2016, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jam25mack
You're better just picking a quieter border post or going at a time likely to not be as busy. Last few times I have been through it was a 15 min stop.
I don't have that choice, hence my question. I've had many long queues...

Still, I guess no-one has tried this from the lack of comments so far!
Old May 1st 2016, 3:08 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say with any certainty but I would guess that you wouldn't have to queue if you already have your visas in your passports. If I were you I would just head straight ahead (don't turn into the car park in front of the main building) and look for the green lights indicating 'open' immigration windows. Present your passports, open at the visa page (or stick a piece of paper on that page - which will be blithely ignored) and see what happens. All they can do is send you back into the car park to join everyone else.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old May 2nd 2016, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Going to be interesting to see how slow the lanes get when GCC nationals forget to get visas online before heading to the border.
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
Going to be interesting to see how slow the lanes get when GCC nationals forget to get visas online before heading to the border.
Do GCC Nationals even need visas for GCC travel?
Old May 3rd 2016, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Do GCC Nationals even need visas for GCC travel?
UAE e-visa mandatory for expats in Oman: Report - Khaleej Times
Old May 3rd 2016, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

1.5 million expatriate residents of Oman... Not 1.5million Oman Nationals.
Old May 3rd 2016, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brains1983
1.5 million expatriate residents of Oman... Not 1.5million Oman Nationals.
Yeah, this one is different. The first article I remember reading, that I can't find anymore, stated nationals. I think it was removed due to errors.
Old May 21st 2016, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Sue_M is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by archie159
The embassy is close to us, and twice we've had queues of over 3 hours at the border, so worth trying if someone can confirm that one doesn't nevertheless still have to get out and join the hordes of visas-on-arrival people... But would definitely prefer to hear from someone who has tried this!

We used to get one year multiple entry visas for Oman a couple of years ago. We just filled in the paperwork, dropped our passports at the Oman embassy and picked them up a few hours later.

Then at the border crossings we would stay in the car and drive up to the windows, couple of stamps, job done. No need to park and go into the building, it saved so much time.
Old May 21st 2016, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue_M, thank you very much for that. You're the first person to actually confirm that it does enable one to avoid the inside queues. We've had such long queues (inside the building) on our past few crossings that it has really put us off going again.