Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Old Video of Dubai back in 1999 and 2000

Old Video of Dubai back in 1999 and 2000

Old Apr 8th 2018, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Old Video of Dubai back in 1999 and 2000

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
I have to disagree with you .. Old Fashioned should be made with Burbon whisky - never with anything else.

Seems I will have to meet you and go for an afternoon of G&T and Oldies !
Oh I agree completely, it was more the bitters and orange peel that gave it the likening for me.

Don't disagree it should be Bourbon though, it should. But I do like it with real whisky too.

Come over, let's do a BE cocktail meet up.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reddiva
Finnegans was in there. It was a regular haunt of the guy i work with
I think i went there circa 2004 and sure there was a pool table
yep, that was the chappy, bar on the left, pool tables top to the right, stage on the right.

We're showing our age.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Big fan of G&T's and I can echo what you're saying about the need for decent tonic... something like Fevertree and it should always be a fresh bottle / can. Crap out of the gun can kill even the nicest gin.

Not a massive fan of Hendricks, with or without cucumber. Tanqueray 10, Sipsmith, No. 38 etc etc with lime. Boom! Some of the Manchester gins are awesome. The selection you can get now is phenomenal.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
yep, that was the chappy, bar on the left, pool tables top to the right, stage on the right.

We're showing our age.

Speak for yourself. i came here at a very young age
Old Apr 8th 2018, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Big fan of G&T's and I can echo what you're saying about the need for decent tonic... something like Fevertree and it should always be a fresh bottle / can. Crap out of the gun can kill even the nicest gin.

Not a massive fan of Hendricks, with or without cucumber. Tanqueray 10, Sipsmith, No. 38 etc etc with lime. Boom! Some of the Manchester gins are awesome. The selection you can get now is phenomenal.
Have you tried Bulldog? (Any flavour I guess, just curious).

Fevertree is unreal when you consider the cash you'd have made investing in it's IPO.

I need to market a new tonic or lemonade or something. Easy money.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

Originally Posted by Millhouse
ah, bless.

I actually stayed in the Oasis Beach Hotel - the first one in the picture. It was lovely, sadly destroyed to make way for the monstrosity that is JBR.
I stayed there in 2008, JBR was already there. If I remember correctly, it was demolished to make way for a tower replacement on the same plot, then the downturn hit and no-one touched it for years. The new Rixos Premium hotel is now in its place I think.

Can't remember too much about it other than the bar was full of hookers and it had a surprisingly good Italian restaurant.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack

I love Fevertree. Worth every penny.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Shaikh
Brings back fond memories and nostalgia. Sad to see what has become now of the beautiful Jumeirah beach which is now overshadowed by mega structures.

https://youtu.be/1Fn_rJaVDeE
Thanks for posting - brings back good memories for me. We lived in Abu Dhabi at this time and used to love visiting Dubai at weekends. The "new" Ritz Carlton and the One and Only hotels were my favourite as they were miles away from everywhere!
We stayed at the Ritz Carlton a couple of years ago and it was so different with all the JBR development towering over it.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by Millhouse
ah, bless.

I actually stayed in the Oasis Beach Hotel - the first one in the picture. It was lovely, sadly destroyed to make way for the monstrosity that is JBR.
I remember going past it daily while holidaying in Dubai at the Radisson SAS (now Sheraton Jumeirah) back in 2000 & 2003. It was on a narrow road which joined Shaikh Zayed Road further down the road leading towards Bur Dubai and Deira.

No Emirates Mall, Dubai Mall or Marina Mall back then, it was either Deira City Center, Bur Juman and Oasis Mall (the original one before it got burnt down).

Last edited by Desert Shaikh; Apr 8th 2018 at 7:04 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

When the Palm Hotel was closed in 2007, the Hard Rock lost it's booze licence and slowly died, closing a year or so later and left rotting for 4 or so years before it got flattened - in 2012 if I recall.
Did now know that building actually had a hotel. I remember the nightclub called "Amnesia".
Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I remember going past it daily while holidaying in Dubai at the Radisson SAS (now Sheraton Jumeirah) back in 2000 & 2003. It was on a narrow road which joined Shaikh Zayed Road further down the road leading towards Bur Dubai and Deira.

No Emirates Mall, Dubai Mall or Marina Mall back then, it was either Deira City Center, Bur Juman and Oasis Mall (the original one before it got burnt down).
They used to run a shuttle to mercato. I stayed 2003. One night we got involved in a car crash (our coach hit a car). I jumped off the bus and took a taxi back and seem to recall going via the a large hole in the ground that later became the marina.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Did now know that building actually had a hotel. I remember the nightclub called "Amnesia".
A very apt name if I recall.

First nightclub I went into was Zinc with an old member from here Mr. Dodgers in 2005.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:45 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember right the hotel was called the desert palm and had a great Irish pub called Finnegans. Used to be our local as we lived at Chicago Beach Village before it was flattened to make Madinat Jumeriah
Old Apr 9th 2018, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

A very apt name if I recall.

First nightclub I went into was Zinc with an old member from here Mr. Dodgers in 2005.
Zinc brings back memories. Also called the "Star Wars Bar"
I also remember a club that was close to the Millenium Aiport Hotel in Garhoud. it closed due to the metro being built. For the life of me i cannot remember the name of it though
Old Apr 9th 2018, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh the days of old

Double Decker brunch AED79 then onto Waxys in Bur Dubai. Strips of drink tickets for AED50, then if you could handle it Rocky B's in Bur Dubai. I lived in Al Garhoud back then and used to walk to Terminal 1 through the car park.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.