Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Old Video of Dubai back in 1999 and 2000

Old Video of Dubai back in 1999 and 2000

Old Apr 8th 2018, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Video of Dubai back in 1999 and 2000

Originally Posted by Scamp
Respectfully disagree but not everyone seems to be bothered by the difference with vodkas. Perhaps some seem to see it as a drink to just do a job rather than one to enjoy like gin or whisky.
Re: Gin snobs. I'd say that while gins all taste a bit different, there is little difference in enjoyment between a cheap one and an expensive one. In fact, I prefer a beefeater to a hendricks.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 9:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Re: Gin snobs. I'd say that while gins all taste a bit different, there is little difference in enjoyment between a cheap one and an expensive one. In fact, I prefer a beefeater to a hendricks.
I don't know enough about gin but it's definitely the drink of the moment. I do know that I like a Hendrick's with cucumber and lime. Other gins may be nice with the same accompaniment but I know I like that gin.

Most of the time it's the mixer that makes the difference anyway.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Point taken.

So you're 18?
Respectfully disagree but not everyone seems to be bothered by the difference with vodkas. Perhaps some seem to see it as a drink to just do a job rather than one to enjoy like gin or whisky.
I don't know enough about gin but it's definitely the drink of the moment. I do know that I like a Hendrick's with cucumber and lime. Other gins may be nice with the same accompaniment but I know I like that gin.

Most of the time it's the mixer that makes the difference anyway.
Arguing against yourself young man?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 10:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Arguing against yourself young man?
Not really, but lets ignore the fact we were talking vodka and then gin. I think the mixer is definitely a big part of it. I was thinking with mixers along the lines of pepsi v coke, flat v fizzy, fresh v old.

Example: you and your 25dhs vodka with flat coke from a 2litre bottle is shit on both parts.

Second example: any gin with decent tonic is going to still be a pleasant drink.

Third example: decent vodka with shit mixer is a shame, as is the other way round. You're spoiling one element with the other.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

...I do know that I like a Hendrick's with cucumber and lime....
Agree with you on the gin. Never tried it with cucumber and lime - sounds like a weekend in Bahrain/Dubai is in order !
Old Apr 8th 2018, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I must respectfully disagree with Millhouse.

There are clear differences among gin. The better quality ones tend to be smoother and rounder in flavour and not so sharp. Henricks is quite nice.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Apr 8th 2018 at 10:46 am.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Gordons Gin have made a pink gin. You mix it with rose lemonade and it is lovely
I haven't seen the pink one here but managed to get the rose lemonade at 10AED a bottle in Choitrams
Old Apr 8th 2018, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I must respectfully disagree with Millhouse.

There are clear differences among gin. The better quality ones tend to be smoother and rounder in flavour and not so sharp. Henricks is quite nice.
In fairness, I'm normally so pissed before I'd even contemplate moving to gin, it could be Listerine for all I care at that point.

That said, a gin, mint, and lemon C and soda mix is quite drinkable. sort of like a cheap brunch mojito.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:01 am
Just Joined

abdul kadir is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice info
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Agree with you on the gin. Never tried it with cucumber and lime - sounds like a weekend in Bahrain/Dubai is in order !
Honestly, it's lovely. Especially if fresh ingredients and the cucumber is peeled rather than just a round slice.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
sort of like a cheap brunch mojito.
Nothing worse than a badly made mojito is there? Brunch ones with there piss-water spirits and tiny measures. Eurgh.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, it's lovely. Especially if fresh ingredients and the cucumber is peeled rather than just a round slice.

Nothing worse than a badly made mojito is there? Brunch ones with there piss-water spirits and tiny measures. Eurgh.
Bubbalicious in Doha only had one drinks station serving one drink: mojitos made with..... vodka that is likely even worse than the Tesco vodka. It was vile.

I did have a very nice gin mojito with mint and lime at the Grand Hyatt in Doha the other day. Hendricks
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

For all you gin lovers, my fav. gin cocktail, it's a version of a Negroni.

3 parts gin, 1 part Campari, 2-3 dashes of bitters shake with ice until cold, drain into a glass (I like a whisky glass), now add the rind of a very zesty orange, just the orange bit, not the white pith.

Plonk in one piece of ice and enjoy - the taste is amazing with the zest of the orange.

Thank me later.

Oh and just to add, the Vodka wasn't for me but wor lass.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:37 am
Account Closed

Bubbalicious in Doha only had one drinks station serving one drink: mojitos made with..... vodka that is likely even worse than the Tesco vodka. It was vile.
Mental. Either do it or don't, surely?

For all you gin lovers, my fav. gin cocktail, it's a version of a Negroni.

3 parts gin, 1 part Campari, 2-3 dashes of bitters shake with ice until cold, drain into a glass (I like a whisky glass), now add the rind of a very zesty orange, just the orange bit, not the white pith.

Plonk in one piece of ice and enjoy - the taste is amazing with the zest of the orange.

Thank me later.

Oh and just to add, the Vodka wasn't for me but wor lass.
Sounds very much like my favourite cocktail, the Old Fashioned, just with gin and Campari instead of whisky.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

What was that other hotel, the one that had Hard Rock Cafe (crossed guitars) adjoining it? That was a decent place - and bar - too.

Closed 2009 or so I think.

Edited - Palm Hotel, or Palm Court Hotel?
Finnegans was in there. It was a regular haunt of the guy i work with
I think i went there circa 2004 and sure there was a pool table
Old Apr 8th 2018, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds very much like my favourite cocktail, the Old Fashioned, just with gin and Campari instead of whisky.
I have to disagree with you .. Old Fashioned should be made with Burbon whisky - never with anything else.

Seems I will have to meet you and go for an afternoon of G&T and Oldies !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.