Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Offshore Bank Account

Offshore Bank Account

Old Nov 27th 2016, 5:39 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Offshore Bank Account

In fact YOU may have to PAY the bank to have an account if it does not maintain a certain balance of I think it is GBP25,000 for Barclays IOM.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:05 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
In fact YOU may have to PAY the bank to have an account if it does not maintain a certain balance of I think it is GBP25,000 for Barclays IOM.
Then anyone would be mad to go to Barclays!

You can open a simple offshore account and pay no charges if you maintain a balance of GBP 4,000 or USD 6,000.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

The OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
No. There are no "reasonable" rates of interest anywhere these days. You know what UK bank base rate is, right?
You can get 1.75% to 2.5% or so in the UAE. Not great but a hell of lot better than the two thirds of bugger all that I get on my UK offshore account.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

The OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
The same is true for Barclays Channel Islands. It was a GBP20 monthly charge if the balance was below 25k. When I topped it up, they said you still have to pay until you've had 6 months at 25K

I closed the account of course. There was no attempt at all to keep a decades-long customer, which I thought odd, until I saw Sabi Star's post here that Barclays is closing down in Guernsey.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The OneEyedMan
This is a good reason why you shouldn't open a UK offshore account unless you really need to. Big Brother snooping into your affairs.
you'd rather keep it in the UAE?

if you are worried about FX losses with GBP, why not open a USD offshore account too?

I invest/save in a mixture of currencies.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 6:39 am
peterparker

The same is true for Barclays Channel Islands. It was a GBP20 monthly charge if the balance was below 25k. When I topped it up, they said you still have to pay until you've had 6 months at 25K

I closed the account of course. There was no attempt at all to keep a decades-long customer, which I thought odd, until I saw Sabi Star's post here that Barclays is closing down in Guernsey.
Barclays International in Guernsey closed in July 2016 - and seemed very disorganised!

Last edited by Sabi Star; Dec 1st 2016 at 6:43 am. Reason: incorrect year date
Old Dec 1st 2016, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You can get 1.75% to 2.5% or so in the UAE. Not great but a hell of lot better than the two thirds of bugger all that I get on my UK offshore account.
wow. Well I have never received a fill of interest in the UAE.

You either have a very good current account, or are locking up the money for a period of time.

In any event, you are nuts. I guess you were not here in 2008 when they put in place silent capital controls - ATMs limited daily withdrawals, and it suddenly became harder (although not impossible) to transfer large sums from the bank. It wasn't crisis for sure, but it did feel that liquidity was a bit tight.

In fact, my bank just lent me 150k AED interest free over 9mths. I took that and moved it straight to an offshore account.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 8:51 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

And be subject to Sharia law.

You really want the moon on a stick, don't you?
Old Dec 5th 2016, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Put the account in joint names and if you pop your clogs it will be difficult to freeze the accounts
Old Dec 5th 2016, 5:47 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Put the account in joint names and if you pop your clogs it will be difficult to freeze the accounts
Are you referring to UAE accounts? All accounts can be frozen on death; male female and joint. It happens fast too.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse

In fact, my bank just lent me 150k AED interest free over 9mths. I took that and moved it straight to an offshore account.
What interest rate are you getting on the offshore account?
Old Dec 10th 2016, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse

In any event, you are nuts.
And be subject to Sharia law.

You really want the moon on a stick, don't you?
No, it's a personal economic decision weighing up the pros and cons. For me, the offshore option is too expensive.

I'm quite willing to be enlightened by rational argument. Not getting that so far.

Last edited by The OneEyedMan; Dec 10th 2016 at 7:47 am.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 9:13 am
Bored liberal

No, it's a personal economic decision weighing up the pros and cons. For me, the offshore option is too expensive.

I'm quite willing to be enlightened by rational argument. Not getting that so far.
You have been told facts and apparently that's not good enough, even though the advice is free. Frankly keeping large sums in accounts here, knowing that all accounts are frozen in the event of death, (for a very long time with no guarantee as it how it is passed on unless you do a DIFC will) is plain daft.

It's not about arguments as it's no skin off our collective noses what you do, but many of us here are old hands and know what can happen.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 11:29 am
peterparker

Another annoying thing about the offshore banks - which I really think are diminishing - is their free phone line does not work from here and also if they send you tax forms to ''email us'' that does not work either.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

You have been told facts and apparently that's not good enough, even though the advice is free. Frankly keeping large sums in accounts here, knowing that all accounts are frozen in the event of death, (for a very long time with no guarantee as it how it is passed on unless you do a DIFC will) is plain daft.

It's not about arguments as it's no skin off our collective noses what you do, but many of us here are old hands and know what can happen.
Do you and your colleagues still recommend UAE National Bonds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.