Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Off to Doha, part 2...

Off to Doha, part 2...

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

enfant_teribl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Off to Doha, part 2...

Well, I started this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...f-doha-799013/ about a year ago, and still haven't gone.

However, things are shaping up, and I hope to be going in Jan. A few questions on the package. I will go with my wife and 4 yr old (though not initially). It seems we should be getting about 17000 QR for accommodation. I was hoping that should get us a decent 3, maybe 4 bed place in Abu Hamour or Al Wabb. Is that a reasonable expectation at the current state of play?

Also, I will need a car to get to Al Wakra, but my wife will probably need to drive. There is a transport budget of 3000/mth. I would like to get 2 small-medium SUVs - is there a way of doing that on that budget (i.e. buying using loans, selling up after 3 yrs, or leasing)?

Thanks for any info
ET

Last edited by enfant_teribl; Jul 2nd 2014 at 8:13 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

JamesandTamsin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Off to Doha, part 2...

Originally Posted by enfant_teribl
Well, I started this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...f-doha-799013/ about a year ago, and still haven't gone.

However, things are shaping up, and I hope to be going in Jan. A few questions on the package. I will go with my wife and 4 yr old (though not initially). It seems we should be getting about 17000 QR for accommodation. I was hoping that should get us a decent 3, maybe 4 bed place in Abu Hamour or Al Wabb. Is that a reasonable expectation at the current state of play?

Also, I will need a car to get to Al Wakra, but my wife will probably need to drive. There is a transport budget of 3000/mth. I would like to get 2 small-medium SUVs - is there a way of doing that on that budget (i.e. buying using loans, selling up after 3 yrs, or leasing)?

Thanks for any info
ET
17k is a decent enough budget you should see a fair amount of properties in your price range for that. A word of caution however is that demand far outstrips supply here. I have been on a waiting list for three months for an appartment in West Bay and am still waiting. (The Hilton is wearing a bit thin nowadays)...

Car wise, 2500QAR p/m will get you a Jetta / Passat. A 4x4 will be 3500 minimum. That being said, second hand cars are cheap here so the riskier option is to purchas a car and offset the cost over the term of your contract. My budget is 3k pm so every month my car has cost me 3k less, and at the end of my contract it essentially owes me nothing so anything I get when I sell it is a bonus!

Most of the banks etc. seem to offer loans but i'd personally stay away from any sort of credit in Qatar if you can help it. It's set up very differently to the UK...

Hope that helps

James
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha ha The Hilton is wearing a bit thin , first world problems bonny lad . Get yourself up to the Industrial Area housing complex , you'll never dismiss The Hilton again
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JamesandTamsin
17k is a decent enough budget you should see a fair amount of properties in your price range for that. A word of caution however is that demand far outstrips supply here. I have been on a waiting list for three months for an appartment in West Bay and am still waiting. (The Hilton is wearing a bit thin nowadays)...

Car wise, 2500QAR p/m will get you a Jetta / Passat. A 4x4 will be 3500 minimum. That being said, second hand cars are cheap here so the riskier option is to purchas a car and offset the cost over the term of your contract. My budget is 3k pm so every month my car has cost me 3k less, and at the end of my contract it essentially owes me nothing so anything I get when I sell it is a bonus!

Most of the banks etc. seem to offer loans but i'd personally stay away from any sort of credit in Qatar if you can help it. It's set up very differently to the UK...

Hope that helps

James
Thanks for the info. The accommodation does sound in short supply - same for the schools I hear.

As for cars, roughly speaking, what would a Toyota 4runner size SUV cost that is say 4 yrs old and in good nick (very approximately)?
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. The accommodation does sound in short supply - same for the schools I hear.

As for cars, roughly speaking, what would a Toyota 4runner size SUV cost that is say 4 yrs old and in good nick (very approximately)?
17 K is an above average budget for accomadation here , you'll have no worries finding something , yes places are in tight demand but you'll get a decent place for that in Al Waab / An Khalid / Al Rayyan / Abu Hammour.

Used cars are a difficult one , contact BritExpat on here as he's in the game , he'll put you right or might even sell you one that works everyday

Good Luck
Old Jul 6th 2014, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Used cars are a difficult one , contact BritExpat on here as he's in the game , he'll put you right or might even sell you one that works everyday

Good Luck
Oasis Cars - Used Car Showroom
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Ha ha ha The Hilton is wearing a bit thin , first world problems bonny lad . Get yourself up to the Industrial Area housing complex , you'll never dismiss The Hilton again
I realise how flippant that comment looks and it wasn't intended in any way to look ungrateful (though I subsidise my stay here )...

It wears thin as i'm waiting for an apartment to come available after being told "next month" three months in a row. No apartment = no family. A wife and a 1 year old boy in a 1 bedroom hotel room just isn't feasible.

So in that context, it's wearing thin though I do appreciate the relative luxury compared to many others.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't have much luck - you may fare better. Of the 12 enquiries I sent out (9 different agents) I had one reply and that was to show me a property I hadn't enquirer about!

As others have said, speak to James (British Expat 76). Failing that, check out www.qatarsale.qa to gauge what second hand cars cost. I hired for 6 weeks and have just bought a used car which gradually pays for itself over my 18 month contract. Obviously you take the risk of things going wrong / maintenance etc. so bare that in mind...

I'd definitely get some experience on the roads in a hire car first if at least to find your way around a little.

Good luck

James
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

It wears thin as i'm waiting for an apartment to come available after being told "next month" three months in a row. No apartment = no family. A wife and a 1 year old boy in a 1 bedroom hotel room just isn't feasible.

:
save some money - either a Temporary apartment in Ezdan towers - massive crappy complex, but cheap or if you are staying in a hotel stay across the road in the Retard (they have suites and will negotiate on price) and use the bars and restaurants in the Hilton. Eat before 9.0 in the Trader's Vic and get a free cocktail plus happy hour half price drinks till 8.0pm.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

I realise how flippant that comment looks and it wasn't intended in any way to look ungrateful (though I subsidise my stay here )...

So in that context, it's wearing thin though I do appreciate the relative luxury compared to many others.
Drive round compounds and developments and pop in and enquire , agents tell lies and just string you along , you could be sitting there for 3 years and still be hearing next month , next month , after Ramadan , after Eid and all the other bullshite you hear out here, it'll drive you mental in the end . Nothing will happen in Qatar unless you drive it unfortunatley.

Dont rule anything out and keep an open mind when looking for a place .
Old Jul 14th 2014, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies. I will go through the cars sites, and see what looks good/affordable. Driving around in a rental car for a while is also a good idea.

As far as actually getting the property, I think we are assisted by the organisation that holds the contract etc - I don't think we have to deal directly with agents etc. At least ,I hope we don't....
Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Looking at a few sites, something like a Qashqai could be had for 75000QRs, so two of those could be bought outright for 3000/mth over 4 years (approx). So, if they could be sold at about half that value at the end of 4 yrs (maybe a little optimistic?), then that sounds a pretty good deal.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 5:44 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Half?! That's the first year depreciation on a Qashqai.
You'll get up to but not much more than 30% after 4 years in the GCC. Cars get breasted here.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

OK, still better than leasing I guess Sounds like I am somewhere btw £6000-8000 better off than if I leased, based on no crashes/repairs etc....

I am intrigued about cars getting breasted!

Last edited by enfant_teribl; Jul 18th 2014 at 7:05 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 3:21 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Lol
iPad typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.