New or used car

Old Jul 3rd 2017, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Taz786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New or used car

Hi,

I know there is another thread related to type of car to purchase and whether Japanese vs. German brand, etc.

I want to buy a second car but not sure whether to buy a brand new or second hand. I will be in Dubai for at least the next 5 years (if I continue to have a job) due to other reasons and have already lived in Dubai for afew years.

My choices at the moment is:-
- Jeep Grand Cherokee - Looks awesome but not sure on resale value
- Prado VXR - Was surprised how good the interior is as I previously thought it was a boring dull car.

What do others prefer or suggest in terms of purchasing a brand new or used car?
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New or used car

Dude, not meaning to have a go but there are loads of car threads on here and they always turn into a bit of a bun fight..... so maybe have a crack at a search.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Dude, not meaning to have a go but there are loads of car threads on here and they always turn into a bit of a bun fight..... so maybe have a crack at a search.
No they don't.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

@ Scamp - lol.

@jam25mack - will do a search now
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Being honest, I was sensible and went boring to start with. Glad I did.

Now I'm looking at possibly changing, but having missed the Ramadan deals, I'll probably wait until January for the next round of deals.

I bought used but 18mths old, felt like a smart move.
Buying off the forecourt spanking new has never been a good plan has it? Unless I'm missing something, you get in, turn it on and chuck money out the window for the yards until you're on the road.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp

Now I'm looking at possibly changing, but having missed the Ramadan deals, I'll probably wait until January for the next round of deals.

Buying off the forecourt spanking new has never been a good plan has it? Unless I'm missing something, you get in, turn it on and chuck money out the window for the yards until you're on the road.
Guess purpose of the new car is peace of mind as most drivers are crazy in the region and therefore not sure what to expect from a second hand car.

Most car brands offer 3 or 4 years service package and you don't need the stress of the MOT equivalent.

Next Eid (around Aug/beg Sept) have have deals. Think there may be a push as well before VAT is introduced next year.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having a look at the moment, thought I would have missed the Ramadan deals but those that I've been in touch with seem to have extended them into July.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Taz786
Guess purpose of the new car is peace of mind as most drivers are crazy in the region and therefore not sure what to expect from a second hand car.

Most car brands offer 3 or 4 years service package and you don't need the stress of the MOT equivalent.

Next Eid (around Aug/beg Sept) have have deals. Think there may be a push as well before VAT is introduced next year.
Didn't think of Eid, but good shout. Also on the VAT. I expect the January deals will lead with 'we pay your VAT' or something.

Mine was 18 months old, wouldn't want to buy much older than that but also know people who have and have no problems. Buying nearly-new also means you might get the end of someone's service package and / or warranty.

Originally Posted by UKMS
I'm having a look at the moment, thought I would have missed the Ramadan deals but those that I've been in touch with seem to have extended them into July.
Fair enough. I should be looking but this pay review at work is never ending apparently. I'm either in the market for a Range Rover or a Duster.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Cannot beat the smell of a brand new car and the feeling that you are its first proper driver (I know quite a few have been in it shunting it around), it is quite magical!!!

I remember when I first arrived here 17 years ago my boss asked me what I wanted, so jokingly I said a Range Rover, and he agreed!! Promptly ordered it, full range of specs, and waited 8 weeks for it to arrive. It duly arrived and I went to the showroom to collect it, and reveled in its luxury on the drive back to the office, I was like a dog with two knobs!!

Walked into the office and reported that I had collected it and was extremely pleased, so my boss said leave your keys and let me take it for a test run, which he duly did and then dropped of his keys for an ancient Tahoe and announced he was keeping it!! I was crestfallen, it was my baby, I had chosen it`s colour etc...but hey ho ordered another one and I still hate Tahoes!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

. I should be looking but this pay review at work is never ending apparently. I'm either in the market for a Range Rover or a Duster.
Gotta be the Duster surely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
I was like a dog with two knobs!!
Only ever had one brand new car and it was my first. I was the same....even though it most definitely wasn't a Range Rover.

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Gotta be the Duster surely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
They're very good looking. I assume the ride is fantastic and the optional extras are on point?
Old Jul 4th 2017, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taz786
Hi,

I know there is another thread related to type of car to purchase and whether Japanese vs. German brand, etc.

I want to buy a second car but not sure whether to buy a brand new or second hand. I will be in Dubai for at least the next 5 years (if I continue to have a job) due to other reasons and have already lived in Dubai for afew years.

My choices at the moment is:-
- Jeep Grand Cherokee - Looks awesome but not sure on resale value
- Prado VXR - Was surprised how good the interior is as I previously thought it was a boring dull car.

What do others prefer or suggest in terms of purchasing a brand new or used car?
You have lived here a few years and can't decide if you want a new or secondhand car?
Old Jul 4th 2017, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You have lived here a few years and can't decide if you want a new or secondhand car?
Its going to be my second car as the wife will need a car going forward. And yes, I still can't decide.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

oh jeeze not ANOTHER thread on frigging cars!!!
Old Jul 4th 2017, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
oh jeeze not ANOTHER thread on frigging cars!!!
quite... although marginally more interesting than holiday ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.