Reload this Page >

new expat in Riyadh

new expat in Riyadh

Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

di_hb is on a distinguished road
Default new expat in Riyadh

Hi to all expats in Riyadh
I have now been in Riyadh for 2 weeks and would like to hear from people about what they do as entertainment. The adjustment of living in a compund is not too bad however getting out to meet people is a challenge particularlywhen I cant drive anywhere... How do you meet people, are there any events on that I can go to? Any clues would be great
Thanks
Di
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new expat in Riyadh

Originally Posted by di_hb
I have now been in Riyadh for 2 weeks and would like to hear from people about what they do as entertainment. The adjustment of living in a compund is not too bad however getting out to meet people is a challenge particularlywhen I cant drive anywhere... How do you meet people, are there any events on that I can go to? Any clues would be great
Thanks
Di
Hi de hi, Di,

Welcome - not many of us around these days. I'm here and so is rdan0209 but he's not a regular poster. Typical is in and out of Riyadh every week, and Nottmbantam has just relocated to become Our Man in Jeddah.

Two big changes in the sixteen years I have known Riyadh......

1 - much easier for women these days, more relaxed, with the feared 'muttawa' no longer the bloody nuisance they once were.
2 - socially, much quieter here now, unfortunately - my early years in the Al Wadi (Villas Rosas) were some of the most debauched of my life, but things are quieter now. Most compounds used to have 'social clubs' but many of them are now closed, for whatever reason.

Which compound are you living on? Are you here alone?

Good luck - overall, Riyadh is a fascinating cultural experience. Enjoy.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
Thanks for responding. I am the Romazin compound and yes I am on my own
Sounds like not much is happening which is disappointing. I will have to investigate further. I was hoping that there would be events listed on the Australian Embassy web site, unfortunately no such luck.
Thanks anyway
Regards
Di
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

melb_ksa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Di

Did you register with Australian embassy? When I was there last there were functions organised fairly regularly - bot in Australian and other embassies.

Hi
Thanks for responding. I am the Romazin compound and yes I am on my own
Sounds like not much is happening which is disappointing. I will have to investigate further. I was hoping that there would be events listed on the Australian Embassy web site, unfortunately no such luck.
Thanks anyway
Regards
Di
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Di, welcome to the Kingdom. Things will start to pick up when Ramadan ends. Embassies will start up again with their 'do's' and many of the compounds have 'welcome back' parties - not sure about your compopund.
As a single woman in Riyadh you could find yourself in huge demand at parties - not sure if this is a comfort or not really ?

Enjoy
Nicola
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nicola
That sounds promising...have just joined up to learn ballroom dancing.
Should be fun. Maybe that will provide a spring baord to meet others. Have attempted to join the AUS embassy but system kept going down. Will keep trying. Where are you located?
Regards
Di
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm on Kingdom Compound - fairly quiet here too just now . . Well, actually it's always quiet . . . . LOL

Cheers
Nicola
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

wrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nice

Hi Di,

I am on Ranco compound waiting for my wife and little one to join me. Let me know how you get on at the Aussie embassy. I have to join both the Oz and Swiss embassies (dual nationality has it's advantages). The Oz embassy had a thing before ramadan as did the US embassy.

I'll keep an ear out if I hear of any more.

Cheers,

Bryn
Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Hale1948 is just really niceHale1948 is just really niceHale1948 is just really niceHale1948 is just really niceHale1948 is just really niceHale1948 is just really niceHale1948 is just really niceHale1948 is just really nice

Thanks
Di
Another newbie here. Been here 2 months, 10 to go. Entertainment? Europe I suppose. Have found nothing here. Would like to be in a compound. Looking. Would like to make western acquaintances too. American environmental engineer putting 2 through college.
Attached Thumbnails new expat in Riyadh-kh72.jpg  
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

slapshot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Di

Hi Di,

I'm an American guy. I've been here for about the same amount of time you have. I've worked my way into the embassy parties already. Send me a message if you're still looking to meet westerners.

Slapshot.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: new expat in Riyadh

Hi Slapshot (and your name is?)
Since posting my message I also have found a few events....lots of dance classes, jazz, the Aussie embassy. Plus have found other expats looking to do things
However in saying all of the above we are still on the look out for events. It would be great to hear from you.....have you an email? I can send you details on what I know.
Regards
Di
Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:39 am
Just Joined

slapshot is an unknown quantity at this point

Since posting my message I also have found a few events....lots of dance classes, jazz, the Aussie embassy. Plus have found other expats looking to do things
However in saying all of the above we are still on the look out for events. It would be great to hear from you.....have you an email? I can send you details on what I know.
Regards
Di
Thanks Di. Were you at the British Embassy Jazz Concert last week? Send me a private message with your email and I'll send you an email.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:17 am
Just Joined

amy1417 is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards
Di
Hi Di_hb and all expats in Riyadh,

I am also a newbi, a single female, been here since Sept. this year for two years. Haven't found any thing about events, parties or anything. I heard its only if you know the right people on the know. I learned about the aussies' - I am sure Brits will have similar. please I add my voice to your and let me know what and where to go. I don't live in a compound- all teaching staff live in a block of flat and this is why we don't get to know of these things. I am going home tonight but back in 10 days. send me an email - anybody if you could help.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:26 am
Just Joined

amy1417 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
Hi de hi, Di,

Welcome - not many of us around these days. I'm here and so is rdan0209 but he's not a regular poster. Typical is in and out of Riyadh every week, and Nottmbantam has just relocated to become Our Man in Jeddah.

Two big changes in the sixteen years I have known Riyadh......

1 - much easier for women these days, more relaxed, with the feared 'muttawa' no longer the bloody nuisance they once were.
2 - socially, much quieter here now, unfortunately - my early years in the Al Wadi (Villas Rosas) were some of the most debauched of my life, but things are quieter now. Most compounds used to have 'social clubs' but many of them are now closed, for whatever reason.

Which compound are you living on? Are you here alone?

Good luck - overall, Riyadh is a fascinating cultural experience. Enjoy.
Hi the Dean,
I read your message to Di_hb, useful information. I live in Al Wadi also- in a block of flates. with the rest of the teaching staff (Brits, Aussies, South African...) working in a nearby college. We are pretty free to go out, only that I haven't been successful to find events. I also found that men get invited more often than single females. it will be good to know of only one or two regular events here. Thanks - Amy
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:55 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by amy1417
Hi the Dean,
I read your message to Di_hb, useful information. I live in Al Wadi also- in a block of flates. with the rest of the teaching staff (Brits, Aussies, South African...) working in a nearby college. We are pretty free to go out, only that I haven't been successful to find events. I also found that men get invited more often than single females. it will be good to know of only one or two regular events here. Thanks - Amy
i was recently pointed to this site... http://www.britishcommunityservices.com as a good reference for things to do. haven't tried it myself yet but will do over eid.

(and i add my voice to the 'let-me-know-if-there-is-something-on' crowd - except i'm a bloke)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.