Reload this Page >

New car or used car - Muscat

New car or used car - Muscat

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

jinoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New car or used car - Muscat

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that this subject is not new and there must have been enough analysis done already but for the benefit of new comers like me, would appreciate if the more settled expats can advise/comment again from their experience so far.

I'n torn between buying a new car and an used car. Want to have a reasonable car like a Pajero. Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Confused...
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car or used car - Muscat

http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...muscat-826447/
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 11:58 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how long you are staying and if you want to sell when you leave.

We struggled to sell any of our cars over 6 years old.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks mike for reminding that there is an old thread already... The comments are much more meaningful when re-read after a period of time here.

Yes OS agree, not all cars have a good resale value especially if you don't buy it new is my opinion after seeing the market here for one month. However there are certain models and makes that seem to have place in the used market like for instance pajero is one of them.

Buying a brand new car is a tough decision, like you said the depreciation for cars are quick and rapid. So unless you know for sure you will be here for a long time, personally feel it may not be a good idea. I was approached by an Omani near Al Fair honestly said that he is doing a business by buying cars from UAE and selling them here in muscat. But, the cars don't have a warranty and free service like when you buy from a proper dealer, but still new car. So I'm confused now.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

If it appreciates, buy it..

If it depreciates, lease it!!
Old Oct 24th 2014, 1:24 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that's an option. Plenty of people lease.
Don't buy "new" from Dubai. It's not and you will pay 5% import tax.

Why a Pajero?
Old Oct 24th 2014, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

When I was new to the UAE I bought new. Most of my colleagues have bought used and have regretted it.

New with warranty is the way to go.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

OS, Pajero appears to be the one of the very few cars that are built for the conditions here and also possess a good resale value in the market plus I guess in a reasonable budget maybe!

FF1234, infact just returned from the Mitsubushi dealer here, all cars gone! even not one for display! but car stock arrived in port already and will be in stack in 2 weeks. Did all the maths, and considering the safety, peace of mind and the pleasure of driving a new car, it is probably the way to go as you say.

The depreciation however will be ~10-15% at the end of 3 years which I guess is reasonable... Personally after seeing used cars from private sellers and dealers it seems if you can afford then new car would be the best option.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 7:57 am
womble

Bewahahaha. Where did you get 10-15% depreciation after 3 years?!
Old Oct 25th 2014, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

I agree 100%, plus if you're an expat, keep the car nice and have fully documented service history with all receipts when it's time to sell another expat will snap it up!

I've tried dealing with non-westerners and I find it very difficult. I even sold cars back in the UK for a few years and can't adjust to the way business is done here.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

well OS, may be sorry I got it wrong but looking at the market now, these are the prices for a pajero 11500, 9500, 8000 respectively for the 1, 2, 3 years old respectively. so yes you are probably paying ~6000 to drive a new car for three years which I feel is still reasonable, given the kind of worries you may end up with, with an used car if you are unlucky!

Last edited by jinoman; Oct 25th 2014 at 8:20 am.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 9:04 am
womble

They may ask 8000 for. 3 yr old pajero, but they won't get it.
You are down to around 60% of original price after 3 yrs, 50% after 4 yrs, 40% after 5 yrs, and not much after 6 yrs.
Anyway, whatever. You seem to have your mind set. Enjoy the car
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

I finally ended buying a Ford Escape, for a reasonable 7 grand. Didn't like the idea of buying used big cars especially in a new place like Muscat. But, at the same time wanted some thing medium sized for a small family like us. And this model was pretty decent and fairly heavy with great safety features. Still with 6 years warranty and free services that incl. parts as well for 65K km was a good deal I thought.

And if our progress here looks long term then we can always treat this as our second car and by that time we would have enough understanding of the place and market, knowhows etc.. to invest in a PRADO or PAJERO.

So, right now enjoying our Fantastic FORD...

Thanks to all for your precious comments / suggestions..
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:08 am
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikewot
FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily
Not if it was new ......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.