Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New Car Insurance Policies/Rules

New Car Insurance Policies/Rules

Old Jan 5th 2017, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Car Insurance Policies/Rules

Just renewed my policy with AIG. 2010 Pajero 3.5, was 1,590 AED for 2016, had no claims, paying 2,340 AED this year. Was the cheapest of the 4 quotes I got.

Anyhoo, question I have is that AIG have specifically noted on the policy that neither a replacement hire car nor cash equivalent is included in the policy, however all the info I have read about the changes indicate it is a mandatory requirement for insurers to include this. Hopefully not an issue, however what's your thoughts on whether I'd be able to convince them to provide it if worst came to worst?

Higher insurance premiums to hurt 35% of UAE drivers | GulfNews.com

UAE announces new price limits for car insurance - Khaleej Times

Car insurance costs in the UAE set to rise in new year | The National
Old Jan 5th 2017, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Car Insurance Policies/Rules

I'd say you'd be pissing into the wind if it specifically say its not included even if it's a mandatory requirement. Then it would depend on how much fuss you'd be bothered to make.

As for the cost, thats crazy. Did you tell them it was too much and to reduce it. Several of my friends have got a healthy discount if you just say no, thats too much. They have loads of discounts they can add on. My friend used to work for one of the biggies so I used to get all the discounts straight off....

750 AED for a modified 4.0 Wrangler (an old girl admittedly)
750 AED for a 2yr old Suzuki GSX-R 750

You could also ask what the insured rate is. Normally the policy is a percentage of that.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I'd say you'd be pissing into the wind if it specifically say its not included even if it's a mandatory requirement. Then it would depend on how much fuss you'd be bothered to make.

As for the cost, thats crazy. Did you tell them it was too much and to reduce it. Several of my friends have got a healthy discount if you just say no, thats too much. They have loads of discounts they can add on. My friend used to work for one of the biggies so I used to get all the discounts straight off....

750 AED for a modified 4.0 Wrangler (an old girl admittedly)
750 AED for a 2yr old Suzuki GSX-R 750

You could also ask what the insured rate is. Normally the policy is a percentage of that.
2017 minimum premium on a 4x4 is now 2,000 AED, max premium is 7% of car value!

GSX R 750 sounds like a bike, so no idea what the rate for that is this year.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

all these frigging insurance changes.....does my goatee in.....my current premium cost me an arm and leg and so gawd knows how much it's gonna cost when I come to renew it in Oct!
Old Jan 5th 2017, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't get the idea of a minumum insurance cost! What's the logic in that?

Seems like the free market comes with a few quirks in the UAE.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Several of my friends have got a healthy discount if you just say no, thats too much. .
Do you know anyone who got a discount after Jan 1st, which is when the new "rules" came into place? Likely not
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
Do you know anyone who got a discount after Jan 1st, which is when the new "rules" came into place? Likely not
Wasn't aware of any changes so haven't discussed it if I'm honest.

As for me I still have a crappy hire car so currently have no need for insurance.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't aware of any changes so haven't discussed it if I'm honest.

As for me I still have a crappy hire car so currently have no need for insurance.
But of course the rental company wont hesitate to bring up the hiring costs to cover the minimum insurance cost
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maxima
But of course the rental company wont hesitate to bring up the hiring costs to cover the minimum insurance cost
They can try. We have a corporate rate. I've been hiring off them for years..... in fact I haven't paid their going rate for years. They know not to take the piss.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

They can try. We have a corporate rate. I've been hiring off them for years..... in fact I haven't paid their going rate for years. They know not to take the piss.
Do you mind me asking who you use? I'm in need of finding a monthly rental
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Do you mind me asking who you use? I'm in need of finding a monthly rental
Sure. Paramount.