New to Abu Dhabi

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

abudhabinewbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to Abu Dhabi

EGGS is for people who work within the Emirates group only. Can anyone else recommend any other golf societies?
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

ColinAD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by abudhabinewbie
Scamp i dont normally call it soccer but everyone else seems to here and I didnt want to confuse people in case they thought i was talking about american football!
Hey,

I'm due to move to AD at the end of the month for a new job, and very interested in my rugby and golf! Can't play rugby now due to a bad knee injury but thought I might get involved with some coaching. Have you tried AD harlequins and Saracens?
Would like to get a membership for golf though as the buggy can do most go the leg work. Heard there are some good links courses around.

What's ethiad towers like? I will need to find a place once I'm over although was thinking of perhaps the corniche or Al Reem Island.

Colin
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

EGGS is for people who work within the Emirates group only. Can anyone else recommend any other golf societies?
no it isnt anybody can join up. who told you that?
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

thats a different one which is emirates airline in dubai this is for auh.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622496
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 5:45 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Just arrived to Abu Dhabi just a few weeks ago and so far i am loving it (especially the weather).

Been busy trying to find an apartment, furniture, mobile phones, internet etc but thats all done now and i have realised i havent had an opportunity to meet people.

Whats the best way to meet people here? Any good groups? Im a 28 year old guy who enjoys all kinds of sports especially rugby, soccer and golf. Anyone fancy a round of golf or know of any societies i could join? would love to play some 5-a-side soccer as well. Will join a rugby team in september when the season starts again but thats too far away to play sport and meet people.

Im going to be living in Etihad towers if anyone is around there who fancies a pint or three.

Thanks for reading
I run the The Abu Dhabi Social Lubrication Via Inebriation Association which is basically a social drinking group of friends in Abu Dhabi. You can find us on facebook - you may need to drop me a PM before I add you as it's a closed group. I plan to arrange an after work drink later this month.

N.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Originally Posted by ColinAD
Hey,

I'm due to move to AD at the end of the month for a new job, and very interested in my rugby and golf! Can't play rugby now due to a bad knee injury but thought I might get involved with some coaching. Have you tried AD harlequins and Saracens?
Would like to get a membership for golf though as the buggy can do most go the leg work. Heard there are some good links courses around.

What's ethiad towers like? I will need to find a place once I'm over although was thinking of perhaps the corniche or Al Reem Island.

Colin
I live on Reem Island and it's still mostly a building site. The Shams towers are nice with a Waitrose store, Gyms and Pool area. If you want a beer then it's a 20 Dir Taxi ride (Taxis need to be booked as they are rare around Reem).
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Hi Colin

Etihad is nice,new, modern and its on the corniche. We originally planned to move to reem island when we were still in the UK but when we got there we quickly decided no way! its a building site and nothing much to do there. Personally i think its 12-18 months away till i would consider living there.

Busbybee - can you send me a link for EGGS - i went to that thread you sent but its closed and i emailed the guy a few days ago as i also stumbled across that thread a while back - still waiting to hear back from him

thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Quackers
I live on Reem Island and it's still mostly a building site. The Shams towers are nice with a Waitrose store, Gyms and Pool area. If you want a beer then it's a 20 Dir Taxi ride (Taxis need to be booked as they are rare around Reem).
Hi Quackers,

Thanks for the reply and info. I guess I will reconsider the Reem island option then. That's where work will be for me but sure it's easy enough to commute. Don't really fancy being stuck in a building site especially if it doesn't have a place to drink.

Abudhabinewbie:

Thanks for reply also, I might even look at ethiad towers now then although prices start around 110000 I hear. Still doable although only get 90k allowance but could add rest as job is pretty well paid. Did you have much trouble getting furniture? Or did you just do ikea? Easy enough to get furniture upto apartment?

Colin
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

there are loads of furniture places to choose from and the process is fairly simple. we didnt buy anything from ikea as we found the furniture prices reasonable here plus my mrs isnt really into ikea

it is quite expensive but not that much more than al reem. al reem a decent 1 bed is 80k and we are paying 110k - 30k is like 5 grand over the year so nothing really to live beside 2 5 star hotels which have really good restauarants and bars. Plus hilton beach club is just down the road and marina mall u could walk in 15 mins.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 11:16 am
Just Joined

there are loads of furniture places to choose from and the process is fairly simple. we didnt buy anything from ikea as we found the furniture prices reasonable here plus my mrs isnt really into ikea

it is quite expensive but not that much more than al reem. al reem a decent 1 bed is 80k and we are paying 110k - 30k is like 5 grand over the year so nothing really to live beside 2 5 star hotels which have really good restauarants and bars. Plus hilton beach club is just down the road and marina mall u could walk in 15 mins.
Great, seems like I will have to have a look once I'm there. Just waiting for security checks and visa application. Shouldn't have any issues asi have just left military.
Will keep in touch and perhaps once I'm over can give you a shout for that golf and a beer. My Mrs will look to come over after a while I believe. Although has no work there at present so perhaps can find something.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:26 am
Just Joined

vickibowen5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: New to Abu Dhabi

Hi Newbie

Al Yasmina School do a football night for men, I think its on a Tuesday night. You can just drop in and meet people and its only down the road from where you are x
Old Apr 14th 2013, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

thanks Viki, i will check it out

still havent found any contacts for golf or golf societies if anyone has numbers/emails i can use

thanks