Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Muscat to Dubai LDR involving an Argentinean. Visa problems?

Muscat to Dubai LDR involving an Argentinean. Visa problems?

Old Jan 4th 2016, 10:09 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Muscat to Dubai LDR involving an Argentinean. Visa problems?

Originally Posted by oneshandyandy
One more thing... might it be ill advised to travel across the border together in a car as an unmarried male and female?
Only if your residency permit states you are Muskim or one of you has a Muslim sounding name. Otherwise it's not an issue. Neither place is Saudi
Old Jan 4th 2016, 11:12 am
Just Joined

oneshandyandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Only if your residency permit states you are Muskim or one of you has a Muslim sounding name. Otherwise it's not an issue. Neither place is Saudi
Great, thanks, that'll come in very handy! If she gets the job of course.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 11:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
on a completely side note - how do you manage to have any kind of relationship with someone who literally lives on the other side of the world to you....gotta be having loads of phone sex
Trust me, its possible. Many couples in the US and Aus forums have sustained relationships for months - or even years - while wating for visa grants to allow them to live in the same country.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Trust me, its possible. Many couples in the US and Aus forums have sustained relationships for months - or even years - while wating for visa grants to allow them to live in the same country.
It can be very tricky! Especially with our countries of nationality, moving to either wasn't really an option without getting married.

She's got the job, though no contract just yet, so we're not completely at ease. I'm optimistic that it will come through as it's with a fairly well reputed company within the region. Now we just need to work out how to narrow the 4-5 hour gap, but it's a big improvement on 31 hours in planes!
Old Jan 26th 2016, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by oneshandyandy

Thanks, that would be very helpful if you could ask when you next meet them! It would certainly make life easier knowing that border runs are an option.
!
Sorry for the delay. I asked my Argentinian friend this question last weekend, and he thinks that she could come here for 30 days, extend for 30 days, but would then have to be out of the country for 30 days (ie she cannot do a simple out and in border run). But he was not certain. He's offered to ask the embassy, as he is now curious to know also, but this might take a week or so. I'll let you know if he gets an answer (unless you post to say that you have found it yourself).
Old Jan 26th 2016, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by archie159
Sorry for the delay. I asked my Argentinian friend this question last weekend, and he thinks that she could come here for 30 days, extend for 30 days, but would then have to be out of the country for 30 days (ie she cannot do a simple out and in border run). But he was not certain. He's offered to ask the embassy, as he is now curious to know also, but this might take a week or so. I'll let you know if he gets an answer (unless you post to say that you have found it yourself).
Thank you very much for your reply, it is appreciated! I couldn't find a solid answer anywhere, all I found seemed out of date and said 30 days in UAE, 30 days out, so if she could stay for 60 that would be amazing. If your friend is able to ask at the embassy without too much trouble I would be very grateful.

We're still in a bit of an uncertain situation - I'm now in Dubai but she's still stuck in Argentina with a contract signed for work in Muscat which is taking suspiciously long to materialise. If she could stay for 60 days that should hopefully be long enough to secure a job out here, but at the least it would be long enough to catch up with each other and be apart for another month or two before she does find something.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:22 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Ah crap. MoM might be playing silly buggers with work visas for females again.
She may well have the job, but then her work visa is dependent on Ministry of Manpower not having a falling out with their cousins aunts uncle from Nizwa who looked at their sister niece in a funny way at the wedding in Salalah last month who is high up in Ministry of Immigration and has decided to make life difficult for the MoM official in charge of the work visas for a particular job.....
Sometimes they take a week, sometimes they literally can take a year, to materialize. You're on Muscat speed now, yanni. It will transpire, inshallah.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Ah crap. MoM might be playing silly buggers with work visas for females again.
She may well have the job, but then her work visa is dependent on Ministry of Manpower not having a falling out with their cousins aunts uncle from Nizwa who looked at their sister niece in a funny way at the wedding in Salalah last month who is high up in Ministry of Immigration and has decided to make life difficult for the MoM official in charge of the work visas for a particular job.....
Sometimes they take a week, sometimes they literally can take a year, to materialize. You're on Muscat speed now, yanni. It will transpire, inshallah.
Haha I hope this isn't the case! She spoke to her employer the other day and they seem fairly calm about it, and said that the visa should hopefully get approval in the coming week. Indeed, inshallah!
Old Mar 21st 2016, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Update!

We're both over here now, as described originally! Still unsure about the visa situation. I have been able to make the trip there a number of times, the drive isn't too bad (except when it rains). She has not yet had the opportunity to come here, but will have her passport returned to her soon. Having looked online it seems like she must apply for the visa, even though she is a GCC resident? It's not very clear, looking in different places you seem to get different answers. Does anyone have an official link with clear information on this - or maybe a link to some contact details I can use to ring up and ask please?

Cheers!