Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Yanbu. Any pointers?

Moving to Yanbu. Any pointers?

Old Jan 13th 2015, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Riches is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Yanbu. Any pointers?

Hi all. I'm moving to Yanbu shortly to take up a two year contract there. I'm a UK expat and I've worked overseas for years, including a previous spell in Riyadh KSA, and more recently Hong Kong. so I am au fait with the KSA expat life and I have eyes wide open about moving to Yanbu.

I've drawn a bit of a blank in respect of finding much out about social opportunities there. Any Yanbuites here who could fill me in on expat hashing, diving, camping, motorcycling clubs or groups, sailing etc there?

Or am I destined to read a lot of improving books?

Many thanks

R

Last edited by Riches; Jan 13th 2015 at 5:54 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Yanbu. Any pointers?

There is one main compound in Yanbu which is out on the way to Marafiq. they do have a social room on there, I am sorry I cannot remember the name of the place.
Yanbu is a sleeppyy place a few hotels so if you are into diving then it might be a little quite for you. Jeddah is a good 5-6 hours drive on a good day.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Riches is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Yanbu. Any pointers?

Yanbu is better than I was led to believe. I'm in the Royal Commission and it is pretty quiet.

US grid type town planning, a fairly recent Hyperpanda & SACO, with Jarir and Extra in the old town.

Theres quite a few US expats here, regular diving and snorkelling on the reefs and wrecks, and some good desert expeditions possible from here such as Wahba, the Hejaz railway, the mountains and Medain Saleh.

Pleasantly suprised. Ditto with the salary package for working here too haha.