Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to Qatar

Moving from UK to Qatar

Old Aug 23rd 2015, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

Originally Posted by Sarah_Jane
Thanks co durham boy, that's very helpful info.

We might have to go top end in villa's initially - got 3 sceptical kids (2 teens!) to keep happy ;-) But if we stayed we'd aim to downsize as they all move on.

Great to hear the grocery and utilities bill might not be as expensive though.

What about things like cinema, live entertainment and activities like ice skating and sports clubs - would you say they are comparable to the UK?

I feel more comfortable over estimating than under estimating to make sure we go for the right package - it feels so much more risky making the move when you're trying to provide for the kids needs as well!
If you're main fixed costs are covered then you will do fine . It's always better to err on the side of caution because like for like Qatar is still a very expensive place to live .

You'll find that all activities are pretty expensive but probably on par with the UK . finding an activity for the kids here without spending money can be difficult , choice is low and quality scarce so you'll find the good ones cost money. Some of the sports facilities here that the kids get to use are amazing to be honest . It's grade A stuff but it costs .

Remember all that is a variable cost as well as same as going out and entertaining yourself . Once you settle and find your feet then you will have a better idea of what you want to spend or do .

Accommodation / Schooling and Healthcare are your major costs , get those well covered and the rest is beer money
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Sarah_Jane is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank co durham boy - that's all sounding positive. I've heard it's quite expensive child wise and I've estimated a generous leisure and eating out allowance in my budget.

We're just waiting to hear from the employer now - my dh applied early Aug, but was told not to expect to hear anything until September. I've heard before that the HR process can be very slow compared to what we're used to in the UK - and it can seem slow in the UK, LOL!
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah_Jane
Thank co durham boy - that's all sounding positive. I've heard it's quite expensive child wise and I've estimated a generous leisure and eating out allowance in my budget.

We're just waiting to hear from the employer now - my dh applied early Aug, but was told not to expect to hear anything until September. I've heard before that the HR process can be very slow compared to what we're used to in the UK - and it can seem slow in the UK, LOL!
It's very quiet here because of the summer , a lot of people are away including any sort of decision makers plus you have an Eid holiday coming up around the 20th of September so you'll lose another week to 10 days here .

Nothing happens with any sort of urgency on a HR front at this time of year so don't sweat it .
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Sarah_Jane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
It's very quiet here because of the summer , a lot of people are away including any sort of decision makers plus you have an Eid holiday coming up around the 20th of September so you'll lose another week to 10 days here .

Nothing happens with any sort of urgency on a HR front at this time of year so don't sweat it .
Ah - all makes sense. We did wonder if a lot of people were away for the summer. We didn't know about Eid holiday though. Could easily be October then before we get a decision. That's cool. Thanks again for the info - very appreciated.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

bakerwe1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how much it cost to lease a car in Doha?
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bakerwe1
Does anyone know how much it cost to lease a car in Doha?
From 1800 QR per month upwards , depending on type and duration