Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving From UK to Dubai for New Job

Moving From UK to Dubai for New Job

Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Moving From UK to Dubai for New Job

Originally Posted by Ronnie294
i maintain, repair, test etc aircrew flying kit e.g helmets, liferafts, life preserver jackets, oxygen systems, night vision goggles etc!!

I am leaving the same job in the Royal Air Force for this job!
Sounds pretty cool.

Is it worth giving up the RAF pension for this?
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

i maintain, repair, test etc aircrew flying kit e.g helmets, liferafts, life preserver jackets, oxygen systems, night vision goggles etc!!
SE Fitter.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Is it worth giving up the RAF pension for this?
Wouldn't be giving it up necessarily. MY knowledge of current pension arrangements is not up to date but after 22 years service he would be entitled to a full pension wherever he is, at age 55 it will go up substantially. Mine is paid into UK and as its counted as income I pay tax on it ggggrrrr!!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Ronnie294 is an unknown quantity at this point

MOD has put final nail i coffin for a lot of people!!!! pension went crap last year and this year they re designed the pay system and its really bad!!

so in my opinion, yes it is worth it, plus i have always wanted to work somewhere abroad and i really enjoy my job so to get the chance to work in dubai without really needing to learn a whole new skill set, it was too good to ignore.

The one thing i haven't mentioned yet is that my mates who also work for this company have recieved emails stating that the company are aware that rental costs have increased and that they havent re-evaluated their employee allowances to reflect that and so will be doing so in the coming months, they mention increases to housing allowance and education allowance's!!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot
Wouldn't be giving it up necessarily. MY knowledge of current pension arrangements is not up to date but after 22 years service he would be entitled to a full pension wherever he is, at age 55 it will go up substantially. Mine is paid into UK and as its counted as income I pay tax on it ggggrrrr!!
when i get out i will have done just shy of 14 yrs, i get a immediate resettlement lump some of £10,000 tax free and then everything else is deffered until 65 yers old!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

SE Fitter.
yeah, are you ex forces? That is a pretty spot on name for my trade!!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

when i get out i will have done just shy of 14 yrs, i get a immediate resettlement lump some of £10,000 tax free and then everything else is deffered until 65 yers old!
OK I did 25 years so got a nice little earner Drop me a PM if you need more help but I only have 9 working weeks left before I head back to blighty, I am retiring
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

yeah, are you ex forces? That is a pretty spot on name for my trade!!
Ex Flight Sergeant ATC.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Ex Flight Sergeant ATC.
Ah fair one, i am leaving at the dizzy height of Cpl LOL!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

OK I did 25 years so got a nice little earner Drop me a PM if you need more help but I only have 9 working weeks left before I head back to blighty, I am retiring
Will do, cheers for all your advice and opinions!!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

One final thing, and we pretty much say this to everyone. If you do not come out here and try it you will always regret it. You've decided to bang out of your current career anyway, with all the upheaval that involves, so why not give it a go, if it doesn't work out you can always go home but knowing you tried.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

If it didnt work out, i would send the missus and kids home, sell our house in Scotland and buy near her parents in manchester and i would stay out there for a few years! not ideal as i hate not seeing my girls every day but wouldnt jack it in altogether!
Old Feb 1st 2016, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Ref Environmental Protection Nazi, I mean officer ;-)..... Has she looked at engineering consultancies? Agreed that AD is far and away in advance of DXB on all things Environmental but stuff is slowly starting to come up. We have a 'team' of 2 environmental engineers in my consultancy. They do site inspections, write EIA's etc etc. Also, I am soon to have refresher training on with regards to geo-environmental testing which I did for years in the UK as the company are predicting this is going to be a growth market. If this sounds like something she would be interested in I would advise contacting British and US engineering consultancies and possibly O&G gas companies.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info, she has a friend from her uni days working in dubai who has managed to get someone at the company he works for to look at her CV as there might be a position depending on her experience, not sure of company name!