Moving to RAK

Old Jul 24th 2016, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to RAK

I don't mean to hijack the thread....but I was wondering if the drive from RAK to Dubai, and vice versa is as bad as people make it out to be?

A colleague of mine is moving to RAK (due to cheaper rental), fortunately for him he doesn't have to be in the office on a daily basis...he can work from home.

My lease is up in Dec, and so I was just toying with the possibility of moving to RAK, since I will save an arm and leg in rent....but not if the drive is as bad as what I've heard.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you have to deal with the Sharjah traffic if you live in RAK and commute to DXB?

My guess is 1.3 hours from Al Hamra to somewhere on the creek/Downtown side of Dubai.

I remember chatting with a teacher who was temporarily living in Al Hamra and commuting to her school in Nad Al Sheba and she said it was 90 minutes.

Originally Posted by mission
I don't mean to hijack the thread....but I was wondering if the drive from RAK to Dubai, and vice versa is as bad as people make it out to be?

A colleague of mine is moving to RAK (due to cheaper rental), fortunately for him he doesn't have to be in the office on a daily basis...he can work from home.

My lease is up in Dec, and so I was just toying with the possibility of moving to RAK, since I will save an arm and leg in rent....but not if the drive is as bad as what I've heard.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Don't you have to deal with the Sharjah traffic if you live in RAK and commute to DXB?

My guess is 1.3 hours from Al Hamra to somewhere on the creek/Downtown side of Dubai.

I remember chatting with a teacher who was temporarily living in Al Hamra and commuting to her school in Nad Al Sheba and she said it was 90 minutes.
I have bo idea about having to join the sharjah traffic, but I suspect you are right, which is probably why not many do the rak-dxb-rak commute.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 3:26 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to rak a few times (well barracudas to be honest) and there is no way anyone in their right mind can do rak-dubai-rak on a daily basis
maybe twice a week is doable and to be honest if my work would allow that, I would as well
Ive been to Alhamra a few times as well and I love the laid back vibe of it all
Having said that, IF someone makes a direct road that bypasses Sharjah / Ajman / Deira area of Dubai and somehow hits you directly onto the Jumeirah area, you will see a lot more people opting to shift to RAK
Has anyone tried Ajman-dubai-ajman commute on a daily basis? or not worth it either?
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I used to do DXB - RAK - DXB very often and (3-4 times a week). Going that way is fine as you are going against the traffic. As such, this should be a realistic option to the OP. Villa in Midif, straight onto the 611 and boom you'd be there in 45 mins with minimum traffic.

Going the other way would be a complete shitemare!
Old Jul 25th 2016, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
I have been to rak a few times (well barracudas to be honest) and there is no way anyone in their right mind can do rak-dubai-rak on a daily basis
maybe twice a week is doable and to be honest if my work would allow that, I would as well
Ive been to Alhamra a few times as well and I love the laid back vibe of it all
Having said that, IF someone makes a direct road that bypasses Sharjah / Ajman / Deira area of Dubai and somehow hits you directly onto the Jumeirah area, you will see a lot more people opting to shift to RAK
Has anyone tried Ajman-dubai-ajman commute on a daily basis? or not worth it either?
Problem with Ajman is that you cannot avoid Sharjah, at least with Al Hamra (and yes, I've lived in both places) you can get on the 611 easily, the only problem is really with the point the Shj Airport road joins the 611, that can be a nightmare.

However if you work weird hours (like you start in Dubai at 6am and finish at 2pm, both are easy.

BTW, Barracuda is in Um Al Qwain, not RAK....
Old Jul 25th 2016, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Problem with Ajman is that you cannot avoid Sharjah, at least with Al Hamra (and yes, I've lived in both places) you can get on the 611 easily, the only problem is really with the point the Shj Airport road joins the 611, that can be a nightmare.

However if you work weird hours (like you start in Dubai at 6am and finish at 2pm, both are easy.

BTW, Barracuda is in Um Al Qwain, not RAK....
my colleague who is moving to RAK said he will be taking the E611 (some kind of bypass road) and that from Al Hamra to the Palm (which is where he currently lives) it takes him just over an hr.

Does this E611 avoid the sharjah traffic?

I guess from RAK to Jebel Ali (which is where my office is) and back, would be a total nightmare?
Old Jul 25th 2016, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

If working conventional hours, yes.

my colleague who is moving to RAK said he will be taking the E611 (some kind of bypass road) and that from Al Hamra to the Palm (which is where he currently lives) it takes him just over an hr.

I guess from RAK to Jebel Ali (which is where my office is) and back, would be a total nightmare?
Old Jul 25th 2016, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Women and maps eh?

No, you cannot avoid Shj, (it is the only Emirate that has both east and west coast beaches).

As mentioned, where airport roads joins the 611 heading from RAK is a nightmare, where the SHJ/Dubai border is, coming from Dubai, is also a nightmare - well, from 7-11am (from RAK) and 4-9pm (from DXB), the rest of the time it's fine.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers DXB & IKNOW....well I guess in that case I might as well stay in JLT/Marina...unless, miraculously, a new road from RAK to DXB is created between now and Dec