Reload this Page >

Moving to Qatar - Job opportunities

Moving to Qatar - Job opportunities

Old Jun 24th 2016, 7:38 am
Just Joined

mauser1905 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Qatar - Job opportunities

Calum,

Don't worry. At least your wife has managed to put a foot in the GCC market. you can push it little more, in time. Everything to do here in ME requires patience. try using the "network" from within the wife's workplace to get help for your core job.

I have been out of work for some time, in oil and gas its deep wound this time. You might like to ponder over why they have recruited new staff when they are laying off left and right! firing expensive staffies and hiring cheaper one contracts. I am doing visa runs between Doha and Kuwait, staying at friends places.

Yes Al Khor to Doha in peak times will take as much time and you cant have Qatari licence until you get RP, but as one of your contacts advised bring IDP and use it should you require.

Best regards
Old Jun 24th 2016, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

gabryxi is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there is another huge round of layoffs coming in the Qatar Oil Sector, as history is evidence, I am sure other sectors will be affected yet again (
Old Jun 28th 2016, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Ladyinred is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I know, rules were changed very recently to allow female workers to sponsor their husbands if they meet the salary requirements (QAR 10K) so OP should be fine. He will not need to do visa runs, he will have to wait till his wife's RP is done, then his dependent visa can be applied for, paperwork can take time. The International Driving Permit is valid only for a month from first entry, after that technically you wouldn't be insured if you drive, so don't drive after that. But the International Driving Permit can be exchanged for a qatari license once the dependent visa is sorted.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 11:45 am
Just Joined

In terms of costs, accommodation is perhaps the most expensive thing next to alcohol. If you've accommodation sorted then that's one of the biggest expenses taken care of. Alcohol you can do without if you can't afford it :-P no children, so no school fees. I think OP would be alright, it's an experience, they could save some money if OP gets a job.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Imho Qatar market will pick up in the next year, so this is the best time to get into the market. ISIS on the decline means oil prices will go up, with Brexit it's a good time for people to get jobs outside and bring the money back to Britain.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ladyinred
Imho Qatar market will pick up in the next year, so this is the best time to get into the market. ISIS on the decline means oil prices will go up, with Brexit it's a good time for people to get jobs outside and bring the money back to Britain.
The Qatar market will be in constant decline , the booms has been and gone . Projects will be shelved and people jettisoned.

They will still be jobs in certain sectors but on poor deals . Doha is no place to be if you're struggling to make ends meet.

Drab , boring and oppressive .
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Calum123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the positive advice guys (and the negative lets just hope I prove you all wrong)

the next time I will be posting on here is when I have arrived in Qatar so wish me luck
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calum123
Thanks for all the positive advice guys (and the negative lets just hope I prove you all wrong)

the next time I will be posting on here is when I have arrived in Qatar so wish me luck
Good luck lad
Old Jul 4th 2016, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

all the best
Old Jul 4th 2016, 12:21 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck mate!
I visit Doha every few months for a few days and although I did find the place boring to begin with but now I have a nice friend network and we go out, play pool etc so its much more fun now. Just work hard to make a few friends who you can go out with and you should be fine
Ill let you know next time Im in doha and you are more than welcome to come along and have your ass handed to you in pool
Old Jul 11th 2016, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Booboosoul is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the terms and conditions of the furniture grants and any other items such as car, interest free loans. I have recently arrived in Qatar four weeks ago, house free, car for 6 months during probation but the cost of living is twice the UK i four weeks I have spent £1200 and that is not living the high life.

I am on more than 11,000, but finding it hard to have any life, lucky for me we have a company club and food is subsidised.

My family (Wife and Daughter) are hear on holiday with the view to moving here next year, however not happening now as we would be penny pinching all the time.

Then there is internet between 250-300 Riyals per month and that is if you can get a connection. currently after only 4 weeks I have spent Phone cars 300 QR and Media 200QR, I have now got a small box from Ooredoo although it is 100 QR per week unlimited, it is not tieing me to contract for 3 months, giving me breathing space.

If you do get interne, forget the TV and download My expat Network VPN, that gives you access to ITV and BBC, without these, I was going stir crazy for the first 2 weeks.

Really hope it works for you, but as mentioned above read all terms and conditions before taking furniture gants and interest free loans, you could be held in country until debts are paid back..

Last edited by Booboosoul; Jul 11th 2016 at 7:12 am.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Calum123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone,

Its been exactly 2 months since my last post and the time has flown by. My wife and I have both graduated, had a lovely summer saying goodbye to our family and friends and are pretty much ready to start our new life in Qatar. We fly out on the 29th of August which is only 7 days away.. buzzing!

In this time I have managed to get two job offers, interviewed for them both and accept a position. I start work as a relationship manager for financial services company on the 13th of September. Hopefully this will us enough time to settle in and get our head around Qatar life a little. The Salary is 10,000 QAR p/m plus bonus which I am happy to start on considering I am a 23 year old fresh out of university.

My next question to you guys is...... What is the best method for getting a car? I have done some research and at the moment I am leaning towards rental until christmas then a bank loan to purchase after that. Any input would be greatly appreciated I was hoping I would come across an option to lease but so far my search has come up trumps..

Last edited by Calum123; Aug 21st 2016 at 8:57 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Calum123
Hello Everyone,

Its been exactly 2 months since my last post and the time has flown by. My wife and I have both graduated, had a lovely summer saying goodbye to our family and friends and are pretty much ready to start our new life in Qatar. We fly out on the 29th of August which is only 7 days away.. buzzing!

In this time I have managed to get two job offers, interviewed for them both and accept a position. I start work as a relationship manager for financial services company on the 13th of September. Hopefully this will us enough time to settle in and get our head around Qatar life a little. The Salary is 10,000 QAR p/m plus bonus which I am happy to start on considering I am a 23 year old fresh out of university.

My next question to you guys is...... What is the best method for getting a car? I have done some research and at the moment I am leaning towards rental until christmas then a bank loan to purchase after that. Any input would be greatly appreciated I was hoping I would come across an option to lease but so far my search has come up trumps..
Get a cheap rental mate , don't get involved in debt at an early stage if you don't need to . Find a cheap rental that'll get you from A to B for 6 months then re look at it.

Get in get settled get some work under your belt then take a look at it next year. Debt is easy to get but the consequences of default are horrendous .
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 5:05 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Is QAR money the same as AED?
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by iggle
Is QAR money the same as AED?
As near as dammit. Exchange rate was around QR1040 to 1000AED when I was over last weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.