Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Qatar with family....help!

Moving to Qatar with family....help!

Old May 23rd 2017, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Taz786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Qatar with family....help!

Hi,

From reading this thread, Qatar sounds similar to my experience living in Kuwait. I personally didn't mind the experience for the first 2 years but I was living by myself and had the same routine as most people mentioned. Which was home, work, gym, home.

I was content though and managed to save enough for a property deposit back home. I'm now living in Dubai and can't see myself moving to Kuwait/Qatar/KSA unless I was getting paid more than double my current salary.
Old May 23rd 2017, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds about right. I've been to Kuwait also, though not for very long. I'll take Qatar over Kuwait anytime.
Old May 23rd 2017, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taz786
Hi,

From reading this thread, Qatar sounds similar to my experience living in Kuwait. I personally didn't mind the experience for the first 2 years but I was living by myself and had the same routine as most people mentioned. Which was home, work, gym, home.

I was content though and managed to save enough for a property deposit back home. I'm now living in Dubai and can't see myself moving to Kuwait/Qatar/KSA unless I was getting paid more than double my current salary.
I lived in Q8 too and found it OK. Just a bit lonely as you can't nip out for a pint and talk to random folk.

Couldn't see myself moving back tho.....
Old May 24th 2017, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Vajizz is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Qatar and find I am "content"... early 30s and as I grew older I realised I was quite introverted and didn't like to go out much.

Just like the previous posters my routine is home, work, gym, home. The advantages are living very near to work and so minimal commutes, good work-life balance and minimal stress (I rarely drive remember and Uber is affordable and quite reliable here).

Plus to the extent you isolate yourself in an expat bubble, it is not that conservative. I date (Qatar Airways stewardesses not sleeping over is great!), I can drink, I can party etc. if I want too... But most of the time I like to stay in, read, exercise and see a girl every once in a while so it works out well!
Old May 26th 2017, 8:03 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I had a number of different jobs in many parts of Saudi over a long period. I first went there in 1970 and left in 2010. In total I worked for 17 years in that country.

I lasted for 2 weeks in Qatar. Ghastly place.
Strangely enough, a guy I worked with in Saudi for a couple of years left for Qatar and lasted 3 months. He said he much preferred Saudi.
Old May 26th 2017, 8:04 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Qatar is dull , dreary and boring but it's not impossible . There's loads of people that prefer it over Dubai or other places which i do find strange .You're basically there to earn money and to eventually move on . The culture is shite and so are most of the people.

It's also relative to where you're coming from and far different for someone who has more overseas experience in far more salubrious places .

Doha is not Dubai but it's not Riyadh either . Just make sure you walk away with plenty money in the hip pocket because it's a shit place to be skint.
I'm in Buraydah right now, I would love to be based in Riyadh.
Old May 31st 2017, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Nonthaburi - keep on trucking man. Buraydah and Qassim are a reminder of how nice the rest of the world is !
Old Feb 7th 2018, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Mrsc1963x is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MamaG
Just seen your post and was wondering how do you find Qatar .Weve also just had the opportunity to move to Qatar and was wondering if you could give me some information please.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by scot47
Nonthaburi - keep on trucking man. Buraydah and Qassim are a reminder of how nice the rest of the world is !
It's growing on me like a dodgy rash. Funnily enough the Saudis I've met here have been the best guys I've met in KSA.

There are some very nice floral displays around town at the moment.

I just got a payrise.

Just signed a new contract.

I live walking distance to the airport, which I've actually done before.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

ReesanDemha is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a big gap in the posts from when the blockade kicked in till now. Is the job situation with lay offs etc still as bad ? I've been in Q 4 years almost and its improved in many ways, but it does depend on what you want and what stage of life you are at. Education is also a big factor once you get to A levels and University as the choice for UK expats is pretty shite. So family needs to go back next year
Old Feb 11th 2018, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ReesanDemha
There was a big gap in the posts from when the blockade kicked in till now. Is the job situation with lay offs etc still as bad ? I've been in Q 4 years almost and its improved in many ways, but it does depend on what you want and what stage of life you are at. Education is also a big factor once you get to A levels and University as the choice for UK expats is pretty shite. So family needs to go back next year
It's never acknowledged (same as in UAE) but things are in a recession. Rents falling sharply, loads of expats leaving, tendering minimal or very slow, outstanding invoices hammering the overhead.

Embargo has worsened an already declining situation so one can't blame it entirely on the embargo.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
It's never acknowledged (same as in UAE) but things are in a recession. Rents falling sharply, loads of expats leaving, tendering minimal or very slow, outstanding invoices hammering the overhead.

Embargo has worsened an already declining situation so one can't blame it entirely on the embargo.
What’s the chatter around the World Cup related projects? All moving along swiftly?

We had a job pulled because it won’t be done by the time Expo happens, which was odd I thought for a resi tower in business bay....
Old Feb 12th 2018, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
What’s the chatter around the World Cup related projects? All moving along swiftly?

We had a job pulled because it won’t be done by the time Expo happens, which was odd I thought for a resi tower in business bay....
clearly they want to sell it our ahead of the expo as they believe there is nothing post.

we have an investment we plan to sell late 2019.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Not much that I'm aware of. Stuff is still going on but the only tendering I've seen recently are for minimal things like travel management and "research services to understand sports management" crap. On the whole people aren't talking much about the WC.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 6:02 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Had it actually started? The job I'm on is in some delay (what's new) and they're wanting it done by the end of next year (can't see it).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.