Moving to Muscat

Old Dec 29th 2016, 2:06 am
Just Joined

QS29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Muscat

Hi, I will be starting my new job in Muscat in Jan'17 and would appreciate if any advice can be offered on the following queries:

1. I am planning to use my international drivers license until I get an Omani license sorted. Can anyone advise on any reasonable car rental/leasing companies?
2. I am looking for any decent residential letting agents, as I will need to find permanent place to live after the first month. Any contact details of agents or landlords would be greatly appreciated.
3. I am led to believe that Bank Muscat is the best option for opening a bank account. Again, any thoughts would be of help.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

asjglx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to Muscat

You can drive on your International Drivers License for only 30 days once you have received your Omani Residents ID card. If you hold a UK (or European) driving license then you can do a straight swap for an Omani license once you have your Residents ID card. It involves a VERY quick eye check and then you're done. You will need your company PRO for this though because the form you will need to fill in is in Arabic. You might find a nice Omani willing to fill in the form for you but it's not always the case. You will also need to know your blood type and 3 or 4 passport photos with a blue background.

For a letting agent, check out OLX (https://olx.com.om/en/) and Brix Properties (https://www.facebook.com/Brix-Proper...78419/?fref=ts)

I 100% recommend Bank Muscat. They are probably the most common here, there are branches in all the major areas and their ATMs are the ones I see the most often. Their online banking isn't as snazzy as we're used to in the UK but I can do everything I need to - pay my water, electricity, broadband and transfer money back to the UK.

Andrew
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

QS29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks Andrew. I think i'll stick with Bank Muscat as some of my colleagues consistent issues with HSBC.

Originally Posted by AndrewGrant
You can drive on your International Drivers License for only 30 days once you have received your Omani Residents ID card. If you hold a UK (or European) driving license then you can do a straight swap for an Omani license once you have your Residents ID card. It involves a VERY quick eye check and then you're done.

You will need your company PRO for this though because the form you will need to fill in is in Arabic. You might find a nice Omani willing to fill in the form for you but it's not always the case. You will also need to know your blood type and 3 or 4 passport photos with a blue background.

For a letting agent, check out OLX (https://olx.com.om/en/) and Brix Properties (https://www.facebook.com/Brix-Proper...78419/?fref=ts)

I 100% recommend Bank Muscat. They are probably the most common here, there are branches in all the major areas and their ATMs are the ones I see the most often. Their online banking isn't as snazzy as we're used to in the UK but I can do everything I need to - pay my water, electricity, broadband and transfer money back to the UK.

Andrew
Old Jan 4th 2017, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Moalsahli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey
Use car rental, they got best offers.

Good luck with your new journey and remember you'll be around great people and they'll make you feel at home.

beat wishes
Old Jan 5th 2017, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

As for Estate Agents I used Saville's they were good avoid Cluttons and yes OLX may have some good listings. Currently there is an over supply in the Market so u can negotiate the prices down by about 10-15%

For car rental I used Towell Leasing – 2449 4103they had better rates I got a Mazda3 for around 195OMR / month

Yes Bank Muscat is decent and has a lot of ATM's and branches

ER