Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving from Dxb back to the UK

Moving from Dxb back to the UK

Old Jan 25th 2017, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Dxb back to the UK

Originally Posted by Meow
Out of curiosity why do you hate Manchester? I think it has a lot going for it.
I went to manchester to stay with a girlfriend. The dirty weekend was going really well then she dumped me out of the blue. Strange girl.

I went to see the cricket. It was ok.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 10:42 am
Just Joined

omair85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate manchester because it's a completely dull place, shit weather plus add the mancunian accent lol
Yes, 500k could buy a decent house, but for me, nothing beats London because of career/business opportunities - and also because I am gooner (hopefully no spurs fans here)
Old Jan 25th 2017, 10:44 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I really wouldn't call Manchester dull. There is loads going on and the city centre is vibrant.

Sorry you're a Gooner. I'm a Fulham fan although that's nothing to shout about these days.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 11:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by omair85
I hate manchester because it's a completely dull place, shit weather plus add the mancunian accent lol
Yes, 500k could buy a decent house, but for me, nothing beats London because of career/business opportunities - and also because I am gooner (hopefully no spurs fans here)
I genuinely agree with this. London or don't bother / work for a regional firm are the best alternatives. Some but not many majors outside London.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scamp
I've been to Manchester once, to see Saints lose 5-0...or 5-1.

Other than that I've heard great things, meant to be a cool city and I'm assuming you can buy houses in the North for pocket change, right?

I'm not London's biggest fan but...Sheffield or London is a no-brainer.

I've spent time in Steetley and visited Welbeck more times than any non-military lad should. Strange places, strange people.
Nottingham/shire is a strange place indeed.

I'm proud of been a Sheffield lass and the feeling of it being a large village, which has been often quoted.

I can understand some folk wanting it to be more like Manchester or, heaven forbid, Leeds, but rightly or wrongly "We don't like change".
I know that sounds mad in this day and age but the thought of having steel bars fitted to front doors like Leeds (homes, not shops BTW) is not a great prospect.

However, the fact that we are the "City of Sanctuary" (thanks SCC) will be detrimental to the city. In just the 6 years we've been here, my parents say how much it's affecting Sheffield already.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 11:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1
Nottingham/shire is a strange place indeed.

I'm proud of been a Sheffield lass and the feeling of it being a large village, which has been often quoted.

I can understand some folk wanting it to be more like Manchester or, heaven forbid, Leeds, but rightly or wrongly "We don't like change".
I know that sounds mad in this day and age but the thought of having steel bars fitted to front doors like Leeds (homes, not shops BTW) is not a great prospect.

However, the fact that we are the "City of Sanctuary" (thanks SCC) will be detrimental to the city. In just the 6 years we've been here, my parents say how much it's affecting Sheffield already.
I'm only teasing, I'm sure it has lots of positives.

I've been to Leeds once and thought it was quite pleasant. Bradford wasnt.

Every single place in the UK has scumbags somewhere, sadly.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm only teasing, I'm sure it has lots of positives.

I've been to Leeds once and thought it was quite pleasant. Bradford wasnt.

Every single place in the UK has scumbags somewhere, sadly.
Yep, scumbags everywhere.

To totally contradict my last post, I went to Leeds in 2010 for the Rocky Horror Show (bearing in mind I'd been to see it in Sheff and Bradford previously) and had the most brilliant time. The people were great, the pubs were fantastic and the costumes... well! Still got the photos