Reload this Page >

Moving from Dxb back to the UK

Moving from Dxb back to the UK

Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:38 am
Just Joined

omair85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Dxb back to the UK

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm trying to convince the Mrs we should just stay too.

At the moment negotiations are at: New car for us (read: her) and a 2-bed.
*shudders*
'Commuter Train' - Just awful, all round. Packed, miserable, same people, same seats every morning, thousands in season ticket costs. Eurgh.
If it was purely down to me, I would never leave the sunshine here but it seems that ladies seem to miss spending at " john lewis" lol seeing us suffer with the commute, the bills and obviously the bite of the taxman.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by omair85
Folks I could almost feel the grief inflicted by the daily commute to your souls lol but how about living in:

1. Muswell Hill (North London) on the tube 30 mins to city

2. Eltham - 25-30 min commute on the tube

3. Sutton/Surbiton/Worcester Park - 45 mins to City
I lived in a lovely place called petts wood. 25 mins to London bridge.

It was still shit.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I lived in a lovely place called petts wood. 25 mins to London bridge.

It was still shit.
That's a fairly decent area so what made it shit? The commute? 25 mins can't be that bad right?
Old Jan 25th 2017, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
sicklyman, if you read scot47's post, you will see that he or she was speaking about one field in particular, which I concurred with. Not every field in general. In that particular field, he is correct.
and if you read my post, you will not see me mentioning every field in general.

In the particular field of education, no one can say anything "definitely" or "certainly" even if being here may very often result in moving backward in your career.

It's regrettable that your experience, like scot47's, makes you adamant otherwise.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 8:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Folks I could almost feel the grief inflicted by the daily commute to your souls lol but how about living in:

1. Muswell Hill (North London) on the tube 30 mins to city

2. Eltham - 25-30 min commute on the tube

3. Sutton/Surbiton/Worcester Park - 45 mins to City

I did the commute from both Surbiton and Worcester Park. It was an hour to my office, door to door, and invariably miserable.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

That's a fairly decent area so what made it shit? The commute? 25 mins can't be that bad right?
It's a very decent area. Best part of south London(ish) in my opinion.

Walking to the station in the dark with drizzle blowing against your face, only to have to stand and wait for 10mins as it was late, followed by standing all the way on the train. All individually manageable, but collectively I remember walking home mid-January thinking "I'm not doing this anymore"
Old Jan 25th 2017, 9:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

If it was purely down to me, I would never leave the sunshine here but it seems that ladies seem to miss spending at " john lewis" lol seeing us suffer with the commute, the bills and obviously the bite of the taxman.
I miss John Lewis but they deliver out here and are coming (apparently)....

My Mrs would like to be back in Blighty but also totally understands that we live a very, very nice life here that we wouldn't afford at home.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still living in Purley, south of Croydon, and have been doing the commute for years. i work at London Bridge and live near the station so in theory my commute is 45 mins door to door.

In reality, 1 hr 15 at best, crammed into a doorway, spilling out at East Croydon, crammed into another doorway, then disgorging into the rain at London Bridge to trudge across the bridge. And that's best case. Most of the last year the unions have made the journey even more of a misery so they can protect their pampered train drivers while us commuters quietly accept the grim normality of Southern trains

Apart from that, I do love London. And Purley.

I move to Abu Dhabi next week. Looking forward to it.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dominoman
I'm still living in Purley, south of Croydon, and have been doing the commute for years. i work at London Bridge and live near the station so in theory my commute is 45 mins door to door.

In reality, 1 hr 15 at best, crammed into a doorway, spilling out at East Croydon, crammed into another doorway, then disgorging into the rain at London Bridge to trudge across the bridge. And that's best case. Most of the last year the unions have made the journey even more of a misery so they can protect their pampered train drivers while us commuters quietly accept the grim normality of Southern trains

Apart from that, I do love London. And Purley.

I move to Abu Dhabi next week. Looking forward to it.
ah, Purley... lovely part of the world... you have the pleasure of being boxed in by IKEA commuters every weekend on the Purley way. My Nan is dusted around there somewhere.

My 25min train journey was inevitably an hour once the delays, walking, and missing of trains occurs.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

I used to travel from home to work on the bus in under 30 minutes and for the princely sum of £1.75.

Don't think I could live in/near London with the crappy commuting palava.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Dump London.

I lived in Edinburgh and that was brill.

Bristol is a great little city too.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Great to see interesting opinions. My wife is from Manchester but I cannot stand the city - Could it ever be an option worth considering? Although I would hate to be around City and United fans
Old Jan 25th 2017, 10:14 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see interesting opinions. My wife is from Manchester but I cannot stand the city - Could it ever be an option worth considering? Although I would hate to be around City and United fans
Out of curiosity why do you hate Manchester? I think it has a lot going for it.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Only been to London three times.

When I watched us lose at Arsenal 7-1 and beat Chelsea 3-0 (this is when I gave a damn about Wednesday). The last time was when I went to get my certs attested for my move over here.

A cliché, I know, but it does seem a very unfriendly place.

Just remembered, I won a hotel stay just before I got married. Was in Kingston Upon Thames I think. That was nice. The people were still mardy sods, mind.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 10:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I've been to Manchester once, to see Saints lose 5-0...or 5-1.

Other than that I've heard great things, meant to be a cool city and I'm assuming you can buy houses in the North for pocket change, right?

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1
Only been to London three times.

When I watched us lose at Arsenal 7-1 and beat Chelsea 3-0 (this is when I gave a damn about Wednesday). The last time was when I went to get my certs attested for my move over here.

A cliché, I know, but it does seem a very unfriendly place.

Just remembered, I won a hotel stay just before I got married. Was in Kingston Upon Thames I think. That was nice. The people were still mardy sods, mind.
I'm not London's biggest fan but...Sheffield or London is a no-brainer.

I've spent time in Steetley and visited Welbeck more times than any non-military lad should. Strange places, strange people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.