Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving from Dxb back to the UK

Moving from Dxb back to the UK

Old Jan 25th 2017, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Dxb back to the UK

Originally Posted by Scamp

Sports? At Primary Schools in the UK?

Stay here. Kids and parents seem to forget very quickly how lucky they are.
What about sports day ☺
Old Jan 25th 2017, 3:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
What about sports day ☺
Sorry, you're right. Forgot that.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to fee paying schools there will be plenty of sports at the primary level.

Kiddo is leaving Dubai at age 7 no matter what (so it seems) so we're talking about 2 years of primary in Dubai versus the UK. In the general scheme of things that's a minor consideration.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 4:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
If you go to fee paying schools there will be plenty of sports at the primary level.

Kiddo is leaving Dubai at age 7 no matter what (so it seems) so we're talking about 2 years of primary in Dubai versus the UK. In the general scheme of things that's a minor consideration.
Agreed, but OP said this: "So hopefully back in the UK they would see people playing and enagaging in all sorts of different sports".

Not unless you go looking for it and joining the clubs. Here it's on a plate. Depends what's important.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 4:39 am
Just Joined

omair85 is an unknown quantity at this point

@ scamp - lol I know that they won't be prepared to compete at Olympics at the primary level, but what I see here in dxb is the lack of interest in sports in general as back in the UK I used to watch my dad play cricket at the local club and that used to get me so interested in playing but here the lifestyle is very much confined to indoors. But I do get your point though.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH

You are right that it's a minor consideration as it's a question of just two years. Having said that, taking the southwest train into waterloo is not something that makes me want to jump out of bed with joy, but I suppose sometimes we just have to do it.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

No need to do that, mate.

Drop out of the rat race. Move to Dorset and set yourself up as a modernist cabinet maker working with 'reclaimed' wood or start your own yoghurt label (organic and only from the most premium jersey cows grazed on a local estate owned by the same family since 1066). Problem sorted.

Originally Posted by omair85
You are right that it's a minor consideration as it's a question of just two years. Having said that, taking the southwest train into waterloo is not something that makes me want to jump out of bed with joy, but I suppose sometimes we just have to do it.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:22 am
Account Closed

SWT into Waterloo. I've got that horrid, horrid badge.

0715 from Southampton Central. *shudders*
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:46 am
Just Joined

SWT into Waterloo. I've got that horrid, horrid badge.

0715 from Southampton Central. *shudders*
It sends shivers down my spine to even think about it and I have absolutely no clue how am I going to do it. I think I should just go and do it for two weeks as a trial.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:48 am
Account Closed

It sends shivers down my spine to even think about it and I have absolutely no clue how am I going to do it. I think I should just go and do it for two weeks as a trial.
**** that. Just stay here.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

**** that. Just stay here.
Pretty much the main reason I'm staying here. Thankfully the job is good too.

The thought of the 7.30am train in the dark, -1C for 3 months, and coming home at 7.30pm, walking in the dark, drizzle. I go to the UK every month, and parts I love, but jezze, life is not easy.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The thought of the 7.30am train in the dark, -1C for 3 months, and coming home at 7.30pm, walking in the dark, drizzle. I go to the UK every month, and parts I love, but jezze, life is not easy.
I did the Surrey to London commute for 10+ years. Never again.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough

I rarely had any problems with the line into Stratford, but as soon as that sodding Metro got involved it turned into a lottery...
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:32 am
Account Closed

I'm trying to convince the Mrs we should just stay too.

At the moment negotiations are at: New car for us (read: her) and a 2-bed.

Originally Posted by Meow
I did the Surrey to London commute for 10+ years. Never again.
*shudders*
'Commuter Train' - Just awful, all round. Packed, miserable, same people, same seats every morning, thousands in season ticket costs. Eurgh.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Folks I could almost feel the grief inflicted by the daily commute to your souls lol but how about living in:

1. Muswell Hill (North London) on the tube 30 mins to city

2. Eltham - 25-30 min commute on the tube

3. Sutton/Surbiton/Worcester Park - 45 mins to City

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.