Moving to Dubai

Old Nov 26th 2017, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Becki_s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubai

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I’m looking to move to Dubai to work and live. What should I expect and how would I go about this? And are they looking for certain jobs like teachers or is any job available?
Thanks
Old Nov 26th 2017, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai

Others will surely come along and be rude to you.

But I will give you the benefit of doubt. What do you do?
Old Nov 26th 2017, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Becki_s is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Others will surely come along and be rude to you.

But I will give you the benefit of doubt. What do you do?

I’m confused, why would people be rude?

I work in recruitment, I wouldn’t say any country is desperate for a recruitment agency but maybe teachers? I’m looking at training to be a teacher
Old Nov 26th 2017, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becki_s

I work in recruitment, I wouldn’t say any country is desperate for a recruitment agency but maybe teachers? I’m looking at training to be a teacher
Certainly you are confused, but if you spend enough time on here you will soon understand. Let's leave it for now.

Recruitment is big business in Dubai. Many firms. Plus in-house recruiters. We have a senior recruiter/headhunter active on here but he's in Australia on a work trip at the moment, but he'll surely be along at one point to offer some advice (his partner is a teacher).

The old saying is nothing ventured, nothing gained. You'd be surprised at who ends up moving to Dubai. Namely, all sorts of people. Some apply for a single position on a whim and a month later they're in Dubai. Others take years of applying to get a job offer.

Without knowing more about you, I'd only add the following: if young and single, you can make a go of it on 15k a month if you flatshare, if older, you need more. A lot more. With family? Quadruple your highest possible expected salary and it's still not enough.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

This has got Mr Millhouse's name written all over it
Old Nov 26th 2017, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Millhouse is a highly paid and very busy banker. He surely wouldn't have the time nor childish inclination to make fake posts on BE just to have ..... ah.... I see. Never mind.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You can be a recruiter in Dubai quite easily. What's your background? Where are you based? What sector do you recruit for?

Teaching - you need to be qualified (Degree and PGCE I believe) and then hammer the living daylights out of the schools to get a job. The perks are alright, the starting money is shit but you get 13 weeks holiday. Alright, that last bit was a dig and totally unfounded, the mrs works far harder and longer hours than I do so the holiday thing balances out.

Either are decent paths if you're desperate to be in Dubai. Former is easier initially but harder to sustain / be good at / not get sacked / survive the dickheads.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

If you are planning to enter as a teacher, then your move is YEARS away from happening. As the poster above said you need to be a fully qualified UK teacher (or a qualified teacher from another Western country), which requires a bachelor's degree and some kind of post-graduate qualification (for secondary).

Additionally the schools in the Middle East don't normally hire graduate teachers (those new to the field with no experience). You would need to work in the UK first before they would be interested in you (it can happen that you get hired with no experience, just not very likely, and often depends on the recruiter making an error - like not realising that ESL experience in Thailand isn't actually "teaching" and erroneously awarding you experience points, etc). You could probably start to put your CV out after just a year, and possibly get some interest, but 2 is more likely.

However, teacher turnover in the UAE is very, very high and jobs are always opening up.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 12:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by carcajou
You would need to work in the UK first before they would be interested in you (it can happen that you get hired with no experience, just not very likely, and often depends on the recruiter making an error - like not realising that ESL experience in Thailand isn't actually "teaching" and erroneously awarding you experience points, etc). You could probably start to put your CV out after just a year, and possibly get some interest, but 2 is more likely.

However, teacher turnover in the UAE is very, very high and jobs are always opening up.
Forgot to mention this, good points.

My better half got a role with only her NQT year as experience (1yr) when all schools in Dubai demand minimum 2. It was right place, right time to be quite honest.

Roles come up frequently but generally in the new year when schools have issued new contracts / received resignations.

Best way is the normal way, networking and getting someone to put your CV in the hands of a Principal when they need a new hire.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becki_s

Have you actually looked at any jobs in Dubai on the Internet, as being in recruitment you should know where to look??

Have you done any research on Dubai, or have you even been here??

What discipline in teaching do you want to do if you decide to train??
Old Nov 27th 2017, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not me fella. Wait until she get's here though and I'll be ready to collect her from the airport.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Have you actually looked at any jobs in Dubai on the Internet, as being in recruitment you should know where to look??

Have you done any research on Dubai, or have you even been here??

What discipline in teaching do you want to do if you decide to train??
Pop into Barasti on a Friday about 8pm , there's hundreds of them in the place .
Old Nov 27th 2017, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Not me fella. Wait until she get's here though and I'll be ready to collect her from the airport.
In the cut & shut Mustang ?
Old Nov 27th 2017, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

In the cut & shut Mustang ?
I'll even put on the seat warmer.