Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dealing with heat...

Dealing with heat...

Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of
Default Dealing with heat...

It dawned on me this morning as I dawned my woollen suit, and my heavy overcoat to head for the office in the Snow that I'd clearly melt like ice cream wearing that kind of stuff in Dubai.

Obviously you go from aircon to aircon most of the time but What does everyone do to deal with the heat, any secrets or top tips?

Daz
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dealing with heat...

same as you deal with the cold in the uk...you get on with it and dress appropriately. It's really not an issue...

MM, xx
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

yea avoid it when possible..

If not, drink loads and loads of water and always (being a jock!) were sun protection...

You will forget one Friday im sure and you will learn...

Last friday at midday i went for a 1 hour cycle with factor 50 on my neck. As i was sweating loads, it burnt my neck quite bad.

That is why you still see lots of dark skinned folk fully covered up from the sun!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:15 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, in Japan you can buy SPF 100+. I want some...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
Apparently, in Japan you can buy SPF 100+. I want some...
i need some
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of

My wife tans like leather and hardly ever burns...I on the other hand burn thinking about the sun and take ages to Tan. I could live over there for years and still look like I'd been to the south of france for the Glasgow Fair.

When I was last out in October I kinda got into the routine of SPF spraying before going anywhere but did manage to have a wee glow when going home.

Daz

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
yea avoid it when possible..

If not, drink loads and loads of water and always (being a jock!) were sun protection...

You will forget one Friday im sure and you will learn...

Last friday at midday i went for a 1 hour cycle with factor 50 on my neck. As i was sweating loads, it burnt my neck quite bad.

That is why you still see lots of dark skinned folk fully covered up from the sun!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:22 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Me too! DH says I'd burn under a lightbulb!!

lochdaz-of-blantyre, when you're here during the summer you'll notice the only people mad enough to sit on the beach or around a pool are the tourists!

It's not the heat so much, it's the humidity which is the worse thing.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

I've been in July before. No it wasn't an experiment! It was 37 degrees at 5 am when I got off the plane from Amsterdam and was hitting 46/47 during the day. I know it can get higher but on the grand scheme of things if i lived there I'd be at work during the day during the worst of it.

Just to make you all feel cooler...its currently snowing outside my office and is 2 degrees! remember Snow? Oh of course you do! The arabs make their own!

Daz

Originally Posted by Zannie
Me too! DH says I'd burn under a lightbulb!!

lochdaz-of-blantyre, when you're here during the summer you'll notice the only people mad enough to sit on the beach or around a pool are the tourists!

It's not the heat so much, it's the humidity which is the worse thing.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
I've been in July before. No it wasn't an experiment! It was 37 degrees at 5 am when I got off the plane from Amsterdam and was hitting 46/47 during the day. I know it can get higher but on the grand scheme of things if i lived there I'd be at work during the day during the worst of it.

Just to make you all feel cooler...its currently snowing outside my office and is 2 degrees! remember Snow? Oh of course you do! The arabs make their own!

Daz
Ill be in Arbroath on Saturday...Just been sent a photo of the Abbey covered in Snow...

Actually cant wait..
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather deal with it being too hot than too cold.

lived through one Norwegian winter and minus 25 deg is no joke!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I'd rather deal with it being too hot than too cold.

lived through one Norwegian winter and minus 25 deg is no joke!
Last year i flew from DXB to Vaasa in Finland....It was -49 at 1am when i was waiting for the taxi...(with snow spikes as tyres)

My mate called me whilst i was at munich awaiting a connection and casually asked if i had a hat and gloves....

Que some panic shopping.....
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

It will be fab! Was climbing up north at the weekend and it was awesome...once the wind died down.

I was once doing some outdoor training in Canada and it was -25 during the day. Made knot tying difficult!

Is there good rock climbing in UAE indoor or outdoor?

Daz

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
Ill be in Arbroath on Saturday...Just been sent a photo of the Abbey covered in Snow...

Actually cant wait..
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
My job requires me to spend at least one-third of the day outside, hence my perpetual grumbling about the climate here. Give me Scottish weather any day...so long as I can escape 2-3 weeks a year.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

so do you wear proper office attire.... suits, ties, skirts or pants..... or is it a little more relaxed where you could wear a nice t-shirt etc.....? AND how do you get to work without sweating........
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

In some offices- and shopping malls- you need to put a jumper on when you go indoors, the a/c is so enthusiastic. Other than that normal lightweight office attire is the normal thing, like you would wear during a heatwave in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.