Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mobile and internet in Jeddah...

Mobile and internet in Jeddah...

Old Jul 17th 2011, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough
Default Mobile and internet in Jeddah...

I, along with my wife and two teenagers arrive in Jeddah next month after disconnecting our mobiles from their Vodafone contracts, kids are thinking of reporting us to Childline for this act of abuse alone...

I believe, rightly or wrongly, that we will not be able to get mobile contracts in KSA and so it will have to be a PAYG sim

What is your advice please on the best operator for us to go with? In total I will be looking for four sims, all smartphones, (2 BB's, 1 HTC and 1 Apple)

As well as the phones, I am also needing to sort a wireless internet contract, nothing to special, wireless, Xbox and of course capable of the obligatory Skype.

O, yes and looking to bundle all this with a decent satellite package, British channels, and the footie for the son...

Any ideas,

thanks.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Stealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Mobile and internet in Jeddah...

Originally Posted by 1967tazz
I, along with my wife and two teenagers arrive in Jeddah next month after disconnecting our mobiles from their Vodafone contracts, kids are thinking of reporting us to Childline for this act of abuse alone...

I believe, rightly or wrongly, that we will not be able to get mobile contracts in KSA and so it will have to be a PAYG sim

What is your advice please on the best operator for us to go with? In total I will be looking for four sims, all smartphones, (2 BB's, 1 HTC and 1 Apple)

As well as the phones, I am also needing to sort a wireless internet contract, nothing to special, wireless, Xbox and of course capable of the obligatory Skype.

O, yes and looking to bundle all this with a decent satellite package, British channels, and the footie for the son...

Any ideas,

thanks.
I think you'll need an Iqama to get the t'internet - not sure about PAYG or Contract sims though as work provided me with one.
Check out Zain, GO, STC or Mobily for mobile and internet deals (all .com/sa addresses)- they're all pretty good, at the moment I think Zain has the best international call rates.
Be prepared for slow internet speeds - the wimax options available usually perform around the 1mbps mark although they're allegedly higher. You can get sims/dongles that will give you higher speeds but they'll fluctuate according to demand. STC are doing a good deal on 20mbps fibre connection but you need to check with them whether you are near enough to the network.

We're all constantly looking for better internet speeds as skype can be pretty crap at times so if you find anything better than I've outlined above let us know...feel free to pm me if you want any further info
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mobile and internet in Jeddah...

[QUOTE=Stealth Otter;9501407]I think you'll need an Iqama to get the t'internet - not sure about PAYG or Contract sims though as work provided me with one.

Sorry, should have said that I have an Iqama from a previous visit.
Thanks for that!