Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Midwife moving to Doha

Midwife moving to Doha

Old May 13th 2014, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Solwaygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Midwife moving to Doha

I am hoping to be moving to Doha at end of August. Looking for general tips and advice please? Any info appreciated - ie are the electrics the same as uk, what do you recommend re offshore banking, social activities and meeting new people? Grateful for any help, thanx
Old May 13th 2014, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

JamesandTamsin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Midwife moving to Doha

Hey, I moved here at the end of March.

Plugs for electrical items are the same as the UK and appliances are 240V so you shouldn’t have any issues there.

Offshore banking from my limited experience is only really a benefit if in the event you pass away and want the money to be accessible to your beneficiaries. Someone more knowledgeable may pop up and correct me so take that advice with a pinch of salt until then!

Social wise - there’s quite a lot to do it depends on what you’re in to. Lots of Expat clubs, sports etc. Then there’s the Brunches whereby you pay a set price on a Friday afternoon and get to eat and drink as much as you like (Alcohol of course). Many westerners use this as an opportunity to get paralytic - I’m not much of a drinker so have resisted the urge thus far however I feel my resolve slowly draining away...

Hope that helps and good luck with the position

James
Old May 15th 2014, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stock with patience (and be ready to waste your time) for all the documents bureaucracy, ie, RP, QatarID, License, medical exams an so on.
That in my experience have been the annoying part of the journey, for the rest gladly I've had a good time so far.
Start researching for a place to live online... then when you come you have a shortlist to visit and make your decision. But don't fall in love for any place you see now, it wont be available in august.
Banking, I don't know about offshore, what I know is that depending on your sponsor, some banks have benefits and some don't. I was lucky with my bank choice in that way, i got credit card, loan offer, etc. But a colleague with some other bank, not even credit card.
You can have a normal life here... if you are a party animal, you'll suffer, or if you are nature/outdoorsy type you'll miss the color green, the rest seems OK
Old May 15th 2014, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys, that's helpful. Accomodation isn't a problem as that's provided and my employer (sidra) sorting out visa so that should be ok too. I do enjoy a good night out but dont party every night lol! Am looking forward to the new experience and meeting new people. Any other tips would be great.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 4:08 am
Just Joined

whitesandbeach is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Solwaygirl
Thanks guys, that's helpful. Accomodation isn't a problem as that's provided and my employer (sidra) sorting out visa so that should be ok too. I do enjoy a good night out but dont party every night lol! Am looking forward to the new experience and meeting new people. Any other tips would be great.
hi Ill be working in same area as you would like to catch up with you on how the process is going
Old Nov 7th 2014, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

umamani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Solwaygirl
I am hoping to be moving to Doha at end of August. Looking for general tips and advice please? Any info appreciated - ie are the electrics the same as uk, what do you recommend re offshore banking, social activities and meeting new people? Grateful for any help, thanx
Hi Solwaygirl,

I am also midwife who is soon to join Sidra and woul very much like to hear your experience thus far. I got the position of CNL postpartum. I would particularly like to know accommodation for nursing staff, where they are located as i am coming with 3 children an need to start looking for schools.

Many thanks
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Hi Umamani
I've got a CNL in low risk birth unit so no doubt we'll meet up once there! I'm at the stage where my paperwork has been sent to supreme health council for visa processing. Agency told me that it takes about 40days and I should be going about January.
I don't know yet where I'll be housed. My children are older so I'll be coming on my own.
Getting excited now!
Old Nov 11th 2014, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Oh i can imagine. I have younger children and naturally anxious about getting good schools for them. without knowing where the accommodation will be its difficult to plan ahead. I am just hoping they can give me an idea once i sign the contract.

Please keep me posted and look forward to meeting you in the near future!
Old Nov 16th 2014, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi Solwaygirl,

I wanted to ask couple questions, at what point did you had to do the prometric test? and the sample practice papers, how safe is it to buy then from that facebook group?

Many Thanks