Reload this Page >

Medical insurance needed - Dubai

Medical insurance needed - Dubai

Old Oct 7th 2014, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Londoner123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical insurance needed - Dubai

Hello everyone

I've moved to Dubai to join my husband - I'm currently on a tourist visa as I don't have a residency visa as yet (hoping to get one when I find a job here. Getting residency through a spouse visa is difficult as we got married in Cyprus but I'm looking into getting our marriage certificate here attested at the Cypriot embassy).

I'm looking to sort out some medical insurance for myself ASAP - what's my best option? Should I take out tourist travel / medical insurance for now?

Unfortunately I can't be added to my husband's medical cover that he has through his employer because I don't have a residency visa here in Dubai as yet.

Any advice gratefully received! Thanks
Old Oct 11th 2014, 11:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical insurance needed - Dubai

Without residency it is virtually impossible to get proper medical insurance in the UAE so I'd suggest you get some travel insurance for the time being - just in case.

Once you have residency you may want to take a look at this article:
A guide to obtaining the right medical insurance | Financialuae's Blog
Old Oct 11th 2014, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yep as meow says, if you are a tourist still then you will need travel insurance, once you become resident then you can get insurance in uae.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Londoner123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for your replies
Old Oct 12th 2014, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Kulan is an unknown quantity at this point

In the event that you can be added to your husbands health insurance I would definitely not sign up for a 1 year contract with any of the insurance companies here in the UAE. Better to take out a travel insurance as you mention yourself

Another option is to take out a medical insurance that you can cancel within the contract period. To my knowledge there's only a few and the insurance companies that actually allows this are not too keen to pay your premium back

Good luck!
Old Oct 13th 2014, 8:56 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Wexas used to do long term travel insurance plans that were way better than the usual. no idea if they still do though
Old Oct 14th 2014, 2:51 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kulan
In the event that you can be added to your husbands health insurance I would definitely not sign up for a 1 year contract with any of the insurance companies here in the UAE. Better to take out a travel insurance as you mention yourself

Another option is to take out a medical insurance that you can cancel within the contract period. To my knowledge there's only a few and the insurance companies that actually allows this are not too keen to pay your premium back

Good luck!
That's fine for the short term and for minor medical issues, but no good if someone has something like cancer that requires expensive treatment for several years. It is better to be properly insured - just in case.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Kulan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
That's fine for the short term and for minor medical issues, but no good if someone has something like cancer that requires expensive treatment for several years. It is better to be properly insured - just in case.
Correct Meow, it's of course better to be properly insured in case of a major chronic condition or illness. I was just reasoning from my own perspective that a travel insurance would cover for major accidents.. But I wouldn't argue against the fact that illnesses that isn't covered by the travel insurance is of great importance before taking that decision