Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Maternity Leave in the Middle East (Dubai, Qatar, UAE)

Maternity Leave in the Middle East (Dubai, Qatar, UAE)

Old Nov 23rd 2015, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Mehaja is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Maternity Leave in the Middle East (Dubai, Qatar, UAE)

Hi all,

Can anyone shed any light on the maternity leave standards whilst living and working in the Middle East? Here in the UK my wife would be able to take the 6 weeks of full-pay at her current employer with an additional 33 weeks at half pay and I would have paternity leave options with my employer - is the same true in the ME?

We're considering a move to the ME next year through our current employers however as we're also at the stage in our lives when we're considering starting a family 1-2 years down the track it's something we need to consider!

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 11:53 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maternity Leave in the Middle East (Dubai, Qatar, UAE)

Google tells you all you need. In most cases pot luck with employers above the statutory 45 days paid. Don't even think about paternity leave.
Maternity leave in UAE among lowest in world | GulfNews.com
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Mehaja is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikewot
Google tells you all you need. In most cases pot luck with employers above the statutory 45 days paid. Don't even think about paternity leave.
Maternity leave in UAE among lowest in world | GulfNews.com
Thanks mikewot - I just wanted to check to see if there were any employer differences.

I know some firms in any country will stick with the bare minimum legal requirement but am interested to see if any MNC's will match / have a global standard for their maternity/paternity leave that they apply regardless of the country?

Has anyone heard of a larger firm i.e. a professional services firm offering a longer leave / benefits period?
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mehaja
Thanks mikewot - I just wanted to check to see if there were any employer differences.

I know some firms in any country will stick with the bare minimum legal requirement but am interested to see if any MNC's will match / have a global standard for their maternity/paternity leave that they apply regardless of the country?

Has anyone heard of a larger firm i.e. a professional services firm offering a longer leave / benefits period?
Given the job market, I'm not sure you will have the luxury of selecting your employer based on the level of maternity leave.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Lmao we recently recruited an Asian HR lady who promptly revised the maternity allowance as she wishes to breed. So everything is possible here.