Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Manchester bomb thread

Manchester bomb thread

Old May 27th 2017, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manchester bomb thread

Terrorism is a political act.

Islamic terrorism is both a political and religious act.

As long as one side keeps wanting to treat it as tragedy while the other side keeps treating it as politics the problem will continue to fester and persist. It's not a *****ing tragedy. It's *****ing terrorism.
Old May 27th 2017, 1:43 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
How do you propose to strip the passport of someone born in the UK as was the case with this guy, and all of the guys behind the London bombings?

And many people in pubs up and down the country spread hate just the same.

It's as daft a thing as saying 'send them home." At least that's cheap as bus fares aren't much.
Old May 27th 2017, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
It's as daft a thing as saying 'send them home." At least that's cheap as bus fares aren't much.
Tell me Meow, you know what is said in mosques here, I KNOW you do, so what should be done about the total HATRED of the West?

Come on, get off the fence, how do YOU think we stop the hatred? Give us some ideas as you try to be the all knowing here - with MAT.

Or are you just the lefty liberal who wrings her hands and does nothing?
Old May 28th 2017, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

White supremacist attack in Boston has left two dead - one vet and a recent college graduate. Those with Aryan leanings on here have done nothing to stop it and from past postings, I'm in no doubt they support it.

1 - Is it not time to banish the like of "I Know Nothing" to Stormfront. Freedom of speech is one thing but it shouldn't allow the unequivocal support of murder.

2 - What's the solution, long term for these people in society? These ranty righties are only ever one bad day away from waking up and doing a Thomas Mair.
Old May 28th 2017, 5:51 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Tell me Meow, you know what is said in mosques here, I KNOW you do, so what should be done about the total HATRED of the West?

Come on, get off the fence, how do YOU think we stop the hatred? Give us some ideas as you try to be the all knowing here - with MAT.

This is more rubbish: feeding on feel-good prejudice and doing absolutely nothing to address the real source of the problem. What is said in mosques here (and everywhere) is mostly prayers which are recitations from the Quran. Only the Juma'a prayer (Friday midday) is followed by a sermon. In the UAE, the subject of the sermon and the allowable themes arising are rigorously dictated by the government every week. It is the government alone that decides what is acceptable and unacceptable to say in the weekly sermon. There is a huge administrative infrastructure involved with ensuring this is carried through to the letter (check out the size, scale and reach of the federal and local Ministries of Islamic Affair/ Awqaf). The subject is generally on some point of religious observance which the government deems relevant. It sounds pretty medieval sometimes - after all, consider the source material - but the mosques here do not and simply could not get away with preaching hatred of the west.

You may have noticed that the UAE government (in particular the leader of that government) have a singular obsession with security. Islamic fundamentalism and, in particular, what is said in - and around - the mosques is the number one security priority. Any loose speech will be reported by the network of informants and undercover CID police that attend every mosque. How do you think they were able to arrest so many people so quickly just for being associated with the Ikhwan (Brotherhood), which is hardly Daesh? The Al Manara group, which was monitored for months before being rounded up, was associated with that mosque but all of the radical discussions took place in private meetings (of which the authorities had full transcripts).

Of course it's a different story in Saudi where the Faustian pact between the Al Sauds and the Wahhabist establishment has led to a very distorted education. Even worse is the situation in the Saudi funded madrassas in the poorer Muslim countries. But as compelling a prospect as it may seem that hate-spewing madrassas have given rise to Islamic terrorism, the evidence does not paint such a clear picture. Especially in Europe it is clearly not the case. Instead half-assed uncredentialed "religious" preachers online seem to be the ones bringing weak-minded outsiders under their sway.
Old May 28th 2017, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Instead half-assed uncredentialed "religious" preachers online seem to be the ones bringing weak-minded outsiders under their sway.[/QUOTE]

The term I have heard is "backyard prayer halls."

In the UAE, imams are government employees. As MAT notes, in the UAE there are eyes and ears everywhere - though some posters on this forum can get very complacent and forget that at times.

Last edited by carcajou; May 28th 2017 at 6:07 am.
Old May 28th 2017, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

why don't you tell us - i am intrigued to know
And wouldn't it be the highest level of hypocrisy IF hatred for the west was lectured in the mosques here, given there is such a large community of western expats out here, it just doesn't make sense - total horse sh*t
Old May 28th 2017, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
This is more rubbish: feeding on feel-good prejudice and doing absolutely nothing to address the real source of the problem. What is said in mosques here (and everywhere) is mostly prayers which are recitations from the Quran. Only the Juma'a prayer (Friday midday) is followed by a sermon. In the UAE, the subject of the sermon and the allowable themes arising are rigorously dictated by the government every week. It is the government alone that decides what is acceptable and unacceptable to say in the weekly sermon. There is a huge administrative infrastructure involved with ensuring this is carried through to the letter (check out the size, scale and reach of the federal and local Ministries of Islamic Affair/ Awqaf). The subject is generally on some point of religious observance which the government deems relevant. It sounds pretty medieval sometimes - after all, consider the source material - but the mosques here do not and simply could not get away with preaching hatred of the west.

You may have noticed that the UAE government (in particular the leader of that government) have a singular obsession with security. Islamic fundamentalism and, in particular, what is said in - and around - the mosques is the number one security priority. Any loose speech will be reported by the network of informants and undercover CID police that attend every mosque. How do you think they were able to arrest so many people so quickly just for being associated with the Ikhwan (Brotherhood), which is hardly Daesh? The Al Manara group, which was monitored for months before being rounded up, was associated with that mosque but all of the radical discussions took place in private meetings (of which the authorities had full transcripts).

Of course it's a different story in Saudi where the Faustian pact between the Al Sauds and the Wahhabist establishment has led to a very distorted education. Even worse is the situation in the Saudi funded madrassas in the poorer Muslim countries. But as compelling a prospect as it may seem that hate-spewing madrassas have given rise to Islamic terrorism, the evidence does not paint such a clear picture. Especially in Europe it is clearly not the case. Instead half-assed uncredentialed "religious" preachers online seem to be the ones bringing weak-minded outsiders under their sway.
Old May 28th 2017, 9:32 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Please do not claim that I agree with you in any way. Miss Ann has explained the monitoring that goes on here and the authorities acted before anything happened in respect of the Al Manara mosque.

As for 'total hatred of the West' that is scaremongering. Are you really trying to suggest that the majority of Muslims hate the West? We all know that is not the case. As ever a minority ruin it for others and given all your apparent hatred for Islam and the ME I really have no idea why you stay in this part of the world.

I have never claimed to be 'all knowing' and you are simply being rude and attempting to be inflammatory. Many times I have said I don't know the answer, no one does, but killing more people is not the answer. It never is.
Old May 28th 2017, 9:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Have you had your passport taken off you or something?

I can't understand why you still live here.....
Old May 28th 2017, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Meow,

Think about a few years back and what you posted (not on here) about the Friday sermon and what was said.

I have a memory even if you choose to forget.

(and I never claimed you agree, or will ever agree with me on a lot of issues).
Old May 28th 2017, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arnold S
White supremacist attack in Boston has left two dead - one vet and a recent college graduate. Those with Aryan leanings on here have done nothing to stop it and from past postings, I'm in no doubt they support it.

1 - Is it not time to banish the like of "I Know Nothing" to Stormfront. Freedom of speech is one thing but it shouldn't allow the unequivocal support of murder.

2 - What's the solution, long term for these people in society? These ranty righties are only ever one bad day away from waking up and doing a Thomas Mair.
The experience of the USA in dealing with extreme right wing groups may be instructive in how to deal with radical Islamic fundamentalists. In the 1990's there were a lot more terrorism and criminal activity by these groups- the government directed the FBI to deal with it and gave them the resources to do so. Some groups ended up having 30% of their members FBI informants, the government worked with the Southern Poverty Law Center and other groups ( often informally), increased monitoring of the groups etc etc. By the new century the thread declined considerably.

It may be a complex threat being faced today, but more resources for intelligence agencies and police certainly would be a step forward.
Old May 28th 2017, 10:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Meow,

Think about a few years back and what you posted (not on here) about the Friday sermon and what was said.

The Westboro Baptist Church is in America but probably not representative.
Old May 28th 2017, 10:37 am
Bored liberal

Meow,

As I don't speak Arabic I very much doubt that I could have told anyone what was being said in the sermon. You need more than my few words to translate.
Old May 28th 2017, 11:46 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
As I don't speak Arabic I very much doubt that I could have told anyone what was being said in the sermon. You need more than my few words to translate.
My local mosque has an English language sermon every Friday. Some of the stuff is eye-watering but more in the old testament literalist type of way. However, it's resolutely (you might say religiously) apolitical. Regardless of how dull some of the points are (don't steal, be kind etc), they are invariably delivered in a shrill hysterical rant which does also give it quite a dissonant flavour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.