Reload this Page >

malicious phone call

malicious phone call

Old Jan 2nd 2018, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

anna_k is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry malicious phone call

Hi
I have been living in Haql Saudi Arabia for five years now. My husband is Saudi, a doctor and we moved back here after he finished his medical training in the UK. His mum and a few of his cousins live here and we get along quite well. I give some English tutoring to stop myself from getting too bored.

Hubbie is currently in Riyadh for the week and last night I received a call on our landline. At first no one spoke, and then they called back and asked in accented English if I am a Muslim. I said it is none of their business and they replied "What will happen when you die in this country then?". I have been terribly shaken up all day. Unfortunately my husband is dismissive of it and says it's probably just stupid young men playing about on the phone but I am a nervous wreck.

Is there any number I can call to get the number traced like 1471 in the UK and is it worth reporting it to the police? My husband says it's pointless calling the police because they won't even bother investigating it. Could the British Embassy help?

Sorry if it seems minor but I'm alone here right now and scared out of my wits.

x
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 10:56 pm
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: malicious phone call

Brace up - it's not the end of the world to get an anonymous phone call - it happens world wide. It may be someone who knows you or does not know. Anyway always hang up immediately if - a) the person does not say who they are or - b) says nothing. That is common sense. Foreign women married to Arab men are suspected of being non-muslim whether they are or are not. Sorry but it seems like you just got off the plane.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a phone that shows the number of incoming calls
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 7:51 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that I sympathise and from what you have told us it sounds like your husband is being a bit unsupportive - or perhaps in trying to reassure you he is being too dismissive. I totally get why you are rattled by this, but I suspect, as all others seem to be saying, that there really is nothing of substance here.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

How awful, sorry for you.

I disagree with Sabi Star. Always take these events seriously. Even if it's just bullying, it's not on.

What you need to do is let your husband's relatives know. Tell the mom, tell the cousins, and let them know that you are very upset and worried about it.

They will then spread the word and that will put the issue into the tribal system. Pranksters can't keep their mouths shut and so if that's what it is, the cousins will find out and it will (hopefully) be settled off-book. If it's a serious issue from bad guys, they will find that out too.

Unfortunately harassment of women - including Muslim women - is a common event by Gulf teenage boys. Let's hope that's all this is.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:28 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Might just have been an inexperienced sales man trying to sell Will making services!
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
Might just have been an inexperienced sales man trying to sell Will making services!
Ha. Yeah.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 3:26 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Probably some shabab thinking they're being funny.

If that's the worst that happens to you I wouldn't worry too much.

In my time in the kingdom my wife has been physically assaulted in the supermarket for not covering her face, had men rub themselves up against her in busy markets, and too many instances of general lechiness that I care to recall.

All of which contributes to her general feeling of happiness that 2018 will be her last year in KSA.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Usually in these cases it is a family member/close friend of the family.

Best advice is to keep a whistle by the phone and if the anon caller dials again blow long and hard !