Maid in Muscat

Old Apr 19th 2015, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

jinoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maid in Muscat

Hi,

We are looking to hire a maid to help us with domestic work. As this is our maiden attempt, would really appreciate if people can share their experience and do's and don'ts list.

We have a 7 year old girl and expecting our second child in Dec. The house we live in is huge and would require quite an effort to maintain. Plus since my wife doesn't drive, we were also considering a driver to help us out with school runs and after school activities as otherwise it is very interruptive for my work as it is now! Ideally a maid who can drive would be perfect!

Based on our few months here so far, we see there are mostly Filipinos, srilankans and Indians doing this profession. We have moved from UK (6 months now) and are little concerned about this whole exercise as it is hard to imagine to have someone not part of the family and yet live with us, would we loose our privacy. We are reading a lot of stories and other things about the maid business here.

Also i understand that there are visa formalities that we need to go through, is this normally straight forward. What sort of remuneration should we agree, are there any proper contracts that the ministry recommends.

What other obligations are we expected to fulfil...

Appreciate your comments and any advice, all will be greatly received.

Cheers