Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice.

Looking for advice.

Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:12 am
12th Man

Default Looking for advice.

Hi,

I am hoping to move from the UK to Dubai in 2005. My current plan is to travel to Dubai in March and commence my search for employment. I am an IT developer by trade, and I have spent the last six months searching websites for jobs using my skillset, but to no available. Therefore I am travelling to Dubai a little blind.

The majority of my (18 years!!) experience is as an IBM mainframe developer using Cobol, DB2 and CICS.

Are there employers in UAE/Dubai that require these skills or do I need to develop other skills or seek employement in a different field?

Any advice or help I can get before I travel would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:15 am
Dazed and Confused

Crying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant future
Default Re: Looking for advice.

Originally Posted by 12th Man
Hi,

I am hoping to move from the UK to Dubai in 2005. My current plan is to travel to Dubai in March and commence my search for employment. I am an IT developer by trade, and I have spent the last six months searching websites for jobs using my skillset, but to no available. Therefore I am travelling to Dubai a little blind.

The majority of my (18 years!!) experience is as an IBM mainframe developer using Cobol, DB2 and CICS.

Are there employers in UAE/Dubai that require these skills or do I need to develop other skills or seek employement in a different field?

Many thanks

Firstly let me welcome you to the board.

Have a look at the Dubai Internet City website, there's a directory of all the companies there it's worthing calling them and sending round CV's http://www.dubaiinternetcity.co.ae/html/dic_members.htm

Also there is a thread with loads of recruiter details, give that a try too.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:20 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Many thanks
Welcome to the forum,
I take it you have tried jobserve etc?
They normally only have a few jobs a week, and as you may have gathered, its very hard to find work here.

There are others on this board who have also come over here looking for work, all highly trained and skilled, they also have found it hard going.

Most IT based companies here will not see you and have cards on the door basically saying " no jobs/vacancies, dont even try" (im sure others here can vouch for this).

Some Agencies can be just as rude....CF, any advice ??
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:33 am
Dazed and Confused

Crying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Welcome to the forum,
I take it you have tried jobserve etc?
They normally only have a few jobs a week, and as you may have gathered, its very hard to find work here.

There are others on this board who have also come over here looking for work, all highly trained and skilled, they also have found it hard going.

Most IT based companies here will not see you and have cards on the door basically saying " no jobs/vacancies, dont even try" (im sure others here can vouch for this).

Some Agencies can be just as rude....CF, any advice ??
Yeah I forgot that, thanks JD. Kershaw Leonard and BAC Middle East are your best bet for Agencies. Contact KL directly they will interview you personally and take all your details etc, pester BAC and they will do the same but begrudgingly.

Most of the others I would just register online then search for the jobs. Clarendon Parker and Bayt didn't give me the time of day when I visited them, don't know if you get black marked for that, lets hope not!!
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:54 am
12th Man

Thanks for the welcome guys, much appreciated.

Crikey, bit of a gloomy outlook, not what I expected. Thanks for the feedback though.

I have been monitoring jobserve, et al, with no joy, hence I decided the best way to secure a job was by being in the right place. I will give the agency you mention a ring though.

Old Dec 19th 2004, 4:46 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Many thanks
Hi 12th man. Welcome to the forum.... JD and CF have pretty much answered ur questions and I am sorry to say that I have to agree with everything sed it pretty true. It looks like the Oracle has chosen the right One to take over once I am gone. lol

As for recruitment firms, I suggest looking at the list of agencies in the FAQ thread. There might be something useful there. Hope that helps u out.