Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Location, location...

Location, location...

Old Feb 6th 2016, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light
Default Location, location...

I'm in the process of taking employment in Dubai. Now at the HR stage negotiating a package.

I found the sticky guides on living in the ME very useful and now have a better idea of costs, prices etc, so it would be good to get some ideas of suitable areas for residency.

I think 75,000 plus bills would be about right for myself. The office is in Marina, but I'll be flying out of Dubai during the week. Somewhere then within 15-30 minutes of office and airport.

Is living near the metro a real deal breaker like some cities in terms of getting around? I've heard taxis are plentiful.

I would prefer more of a culturally mixed neighbourhood. I'm not looking for a flash apartment, and would prefer more room rather than central location. It would a long term residency.

As with all things, the prices and information I'm getting through the net is probably not the best, and I would hope things would be more favorable on the ground. I have accommodation with the company for a month or so when I arrive.

Do people advertise accommodation privately as well as via agencies?
Old Feb 6th 2016, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location...

Originally Posted by Kakawax
I think 75,000 plus bills would be about right for myself. The office is in Marina, but I'll be flying out of Dubai during the week. Somewhere then within 15-30 minutes of office and airport.
I'm guessing you're single and content to live in a Studio.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

If it's large enough, yes. I'm wondering more about location rather than size or specific cost at this time though, do you have any suggestions?

Some other specifics for ideal location... near a good curry house and a local shop would be a bonus.
And a decent swimming pool. Not the garden sized variety. A 25 meter pool for proper swimming

Last edited by Kakawax; Feb 6th 2016 at 3:04 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

You can get one-bedrooms for 75K even in the Marina. Won't be the nicest buildings but they do exist.

Dubai is crawling with curry houses. Practically one on every corner and in certain parts of town as many as ten to a block. If you want authentic the proper Indian stuff is better here than in India. But if you want British Indian, they exist too.

25m pool? Good luck as they're pretty rare. In the Marina DEC Towers has a 25m pool and 1-bedrooms are around 80K. Park Island has a 30m pool but it's out of your budget. Fairways in the Greens has a 30m pool and Golf Towers in the Greens has a 25m pool, but both are out of budget. DEC is probably your best bet if you want a 25m pool in your building.

A decent location for you might be along Sheikh Zayed near DIFC. 15 minutes from the airport both by taxi and subway. 10 minutes from Karama with all its curry houses, and the WTC Hotel Apartments have a private pool club with a 25m pool, plus well equipped gym, tennis court and sauna that's available to the public at reasonable membership fees. Oh, and yes, a pool bar

If it's large enough, yes. I'm wondering more about location rather than size or specific cost at this time though, do you have any suggestions?

Some other specifics for ideal location... near a good curry house and a local shop would be a bonus.
And a decent swimming pool. Not the garden sized variety. A 25 meter pool for proper swimming
Old Feb 6th 2016, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Well the issue is that getting in and out of the marina at peak times is not easy (but better now they've finished the trams). You have set yourself the requirement of halfway between the airport and the marina so I suppose some of the places in Al Barsha would be suitable, potentially Al Khail gate, given your price range. Otherwise further out in Silicon Oasis but that takes you a long way from the Marina.

You would need to define what a decent curry house is for you, there are many here but not British Style given the local populace from the Indian sub continent. Many shops everywhere.
25 metre pool, hhhmmmm. Almost impossible in an apartment block. An estate might have but most likely you'd need a sports complex.
Your budget is the problem.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
You can get one-bedrooms for 75K even in the Marina. Won't be the nicest buildings but they do exist.
Good to know.
Dubai is crawling with curry houses. Practically one on every corner and in certain parts of town as many as ten to a block. If you want authentic the proper Indian stuff is better here than in India. But if you want British Indian, they exist too.
I knew there would be as soon as I checked the demographic there, luckily its one of my favorite foods.
25m pool? Good luck as they're pretty rare. In the Marina DEC Towers has a 25m pool and 1-bedrooms are around 80K. Park Island has a 30m pool but it's out of your budget. Fairways in the Greens has a 30m pool and Golf Towers in the Greens has a 25m pool, but both are out of budget. DEC is probably your best bet if you want a 25m pool in your building.
I'll definitely be taking a look at Marina DEC then. It may be worth some travel inconvenience to have that facility.
A decent location for you might be along Sheikh Zayed near DIFC. 15 minutes from the airport both by taxi and subway. 10 minutes from Karama with all its curry houses, and the WTC Hotel Apartments have a private pool club with a 25m pool, plus well equipped gym, tennis court and sauna that's available to the public at reasonable membership fees. Oh, and yes, a pool bar
Well my next question was going to be 'Any health clubs or hotels that allow access to the pool?' so that's great info, definitely an area I'll have a look around.

Originally Posted by mikewot
Well the issue is that getting in and out of the marina at peak times is not easy (but better now they've finished the trams). You have set yourself the requirement of halfway between the airport and the marina so I suppose some of the places in Al Barsha would be suitable, potentially Al Khail gate, given your price range. Otherwise further out in Silicon Oasis but that takes you a long way from the Marina.

You would need to define what a decent curry house is for you, there are many here but not British Style given the local populace from the Indian sub continent. Many shops everywhere.
25 metre pool, hhhmmmm. Almost impossible in an apartment block. An estate might have but most likely you'd need a sports complex.
Good info cheers. Al Barsha does seem to be a most likely location looking at what I can find on the internet. City life is a given in all locations, it's cost, convenience or otherwise and diversity. Dubai does have more sunshine than most though.
Originally Posted by mikewot
I have no doubt that expression is as much of a mantra in ME as 'you should have been here 30 years ago' is in SEA

Old Feb 6th 2016, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

For all the advice you receive on here nothing beats seeing the place for once.

Barsha is a perfect example. It is central, it's near the metro and a big mall, there are a bunch of curry houses but there are reasons why people don't live in Barsha. And you'll find out why soon enough.

Where is your office?

Good to know.

I knew there would be as soon as I checked the demographic there, luckily its one of my favorite foods.

I'll definitely be taking a look at Marina DEC then. It may be worth some travel inconvenience to have that facility.

Well my next question was going to be 'Any health clubs or hotels that allow access to the pool?' so that's great info, definitely an area I'll have a look around.

Good info cheers. Al Barsha does seem to be a most likely location looking at what I can find on the internet. City life is a given in all locations, it's cost, convenience or otherwise and diversity. Dubai does have more sunshine than most though.

I have no doubt that expression is as much of a mantra in ME as 'you should have been here 30 years ago' is in SEA

Old Feb 6th 2016, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I agree, I'd like to have a good feel for a neighbourhood, especially if I'm going to be there long term. The fact that Al Barsha comes up on the net so often already makes me think it may be way too transient. Good to have opinions of expats on the ground. Office is a central location, not entirely sure where, but will be heading to the airport more often I think.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The marina is no-where near the airport. Couldn't be further, actually.

Business Bay is probably the most central on your budget. Although I think you'd need to up it a just a little.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Barsha is a perfect example. It is central, it's near the metro and a big mall, there are a bunch of curry houses but there are reasons why people don't live in Barsha. And you'll find out why soon enough.
Which are?
Old Feb 8th 2016, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Many (most?) of the buildings are crap. Crap maintenance. Crawling with roaches and ladies of the night and bachelors living 10 to a room.

Not all buildings are like this but the ones closet to MoE tick those boxes. It's fairly overpriced for what it is, given that for a slightly higher budget you can get into Tecom or even the Marina.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Which are?
By the way, Marina to airport is under 30 minutes, so it's feasible.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Many (most?) of the buildings are crap. Crap maintenance. Crawling with roaches and ladies of the night and bachelors living 10 to a room.

Not all buildings are like this but the ones closet to MoE tick those boxes. It's fairly overpriced for what it is, given that for a slightly higher budget you can get into Tecom or even the Marina.

fair enough - can't say I've been to too many in Barsha - only villas which are nice.

As for Marina -airport in 30mins. maybe at 3am but forget about peak times.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

How often do you go from Marina to airport and vice versa?

If you're flying for work your flights will be taking off/landing at times that allow you to take the reverse commute directions.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
fair enough - can't say I've been to too many in Barsha - only villas which are nice.

As for Marina -airport in 30mins. maybe at 3am but forget about peak times.
But Downtown/Business Bay is certainly more central. As is Sheikh Zayed.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

30 mins to the airport , what in , an Apache Gunship ?
Old Feb 8th 2016, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How often do you go from Marina to airport and vice versa?
Thankfully, I've not been to the concrete hell that is called the Marina for almost two years. I intend to keep adding to that number, my previous record was four years.

But I know people who do daily commutes from there to DIFC and regularly book 40mins - and that's not as far as the airport.

while flights tend to leave in the morning, and arrive at night (i.e. the reverse commute - which I agree with), the issue is that if you land on a Thursday night at say 10/11pm, it can take 30-40mins to get the taxi at the airport, then you have to crack down to the marina that will take the same again, at least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.