Living in Al Ain

Old May 5th 2013, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

clickwhitaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

After pacing myself at 10 pages or so per day, I've managed to finish reading this Al Ain mega-thread. I've taken plenty of notes and I'm grateful for the informational tidbits that have been shared. I'm not in dire need of any information just yet, but I figured I should introduce myself. I'm sure I'll be asking for a bunch of opinions/recommendations/advice once I get settled in later this year.

A bit about myself:

I recently accepted a job offer this spring that should have me starting in Al Ain at the end of the summer. Judging from numerous comments in this thread, my contract is certainly above average and I feel very fortunate to have this chance.

I've spent the past few years working abroad. One of my previous contracts was in Saudi Arabia. Since I was able to survive KSA, I know I'll do quite well in the UAE. I've spent some time in Dubai before, but never made it down to Al Ain.

Judging from what I've read, I'm guessing my demographic is slightly different from most of the regulars in this forum. I'm 32 years old, single, with no kids. I'm well-aware of the slower-pace/sleepiness of Al Ain, and I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm currently in a metro area of 26 million and have finally exhausted any desire to live in huge cities. I'm an introvert at heart and prefer to spend my free time exploring nature and using my imagination to map out new adventures.

My new employer has been very supportive and will be helping get hooked up with housing, vehicle, and a myriad of other things. I'm mainly signed up on BE to hopefully make some friends, network, and absorb all the information I can about life in Al Ain. I was unfortunately living/working around a lot of negative folks in KSA, so I'm hoping things will be different here in Al Ain. Life in the Gulf is much more bearable when you have a solid support system of positive people.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

officially killing a thread: CHECK!
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by clickwhitaker
officially killing a thread: CHECK!
Don't be offended but this is possibly the worst time to be arriving in Al Ain or trying to communicate as it is not only summer but we are in the middle of Ramadan and most people have left for the summer. I'm sure you will make many friends when you arrive in AA it is a very small and friendly community. Head to The Palm Resort, Pacos at the Hilton and The Horse and Jockey at The Danat to hook up with people and in no time at all you will have a circle of friends. There are lots of outdorsey type people in Al Ain! Have fun.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Casta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really nice

Originally Posted by kiwigirlinalain
Don't be offended but this is possibly the worst time to be arriving in Al Ain or trying to communicate as it is not only summer but we are in the middle of Ramadan and most people have left for the summer. I'm sure you will make many friends when you arrive in AA it is a very small and friendly community. Head to The Palm Resort, Pacos at the Hilton and The Horse and Jockey at The Danat to hook up with people and in no time at all you will have a circle of friends. There are lots of outdorsey type people in Al Ain! Have fun.
She's got a point. It's pretty quiet here right now. Pub quiz at the Rugby Club is still ongoing on a Wednesday not sure about the other venues although there'll no doubt be something going on.

When the weather cools down and as you said you liked to spend your free time exploring nature then you might want to check out the Emirates Natural History Group Al Ain Chapter: http://www.enhg.org/Home.aspx and Al Ain Weekends: https://www.facebook.com/alainweekends. There's also a keen rockclimbing community as well as divers.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Casta
She's got a point. It's pretty quiet here right now. Pub quiz at the Rugby Club is still ongoing on a Wednesday not sure about the other venues although there'll no doubt be something going on.

When the weather cools down and as you said you liked to spend your free time exploring nature then you might want to check out the Emirates Natural History Group Al Ain Chapter: http://www.enhg.org/Home.aspx and Al Ain Weekends: https://www.facebook.com/alainweekends. There's also a keen rockclimbing community as well as divers.
Don't forget offroading adventures
Www.oasis-offroad.com
Old Oct 26th 2013, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for the info. My employer tells me there has been some delays with the UAE government signing off on some things, so I haven't made the transition yet. Once all that red tape gets sorted out, I'll hopefully be on my way. Until then, I'll be soaking up the perks of the western world.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 1:06 pm
Banned

realestateagent is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to visit Al Ain its seems a nice city
Old Oct 27th 2013, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by realestateagent
I would like to visit Al Ain its seems a nice city
Thanks for sharing that little gem with us. I'm sure we are more enlightened ....
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

roro19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
I'm an Arabic girl,moved with my husband five months ago to live in Al Ain.
I used to help foreign people in the Arabic language..
So here is my invitation for you all who have the curiousity to understand and be introduced to the Arabic language ..
I'm ready to help anyone in Arabic and also intoduce him/her to the Arabian world;their life,food,places,customs,etc.

p.s.I'm an excellant English speaker and also know some french..
Don't hesitate to contact me.
With all my pleasure
Old Jul 1st 2014, 8:29 am
Just Joined

nevine is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, my husband moved to Al Ain this month ,he is a neurosurgan in Al Ain hospital and i am an architect but currently a stay at home mom .me and the kids are to follow next month . We are from Egypt and i've been following your threads for quite a long time and found it very usefull in helping me with accomodation and schools.I wanted to ask you guys if there is any place where i can give my daughter ballet lessons in Al Ain ,thanks in advance

Last edited by nevine; Jul 1st 2014 at 8:31 am.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:33 am
Just Joined

docbob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nevine
Hi all, my husband moved to Al Ain this month ,he is a neurosurgan in Al Ain hospital and i am an architect but currently a stay at home mom .me and the kids are to follow next month . We are from Egypt and i've been following your threads for quite a long time and found it very usefull in helping me with accomodation and schools.I wanted to ask you guys if there is any place where i can give my daughter ballet lessons in Al Ain ,thanks in advance
Welcome to Al ain, in simple words it's a family friendly town(not a city by standard measures)
We have been here for almost 4 yrs now (physician and egyptian) the Mrs and the kids like it here too.
As for the ballet I think House of Arts is a good option but not sure if they have summer classes;try giving them a ring (03 7626651)
Again welcome to AL AIN
Old Jul 7th 2014, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

nevine is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much, we are looking forward to joining the Ain community will give them a call and see
Old Jul 14th 2014, 6:39 am
Just Joined

surgeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone
I have been offered a job in alain hospital
would like to know about housing and schools for kids
I have 2 daughters class 5 and class 10
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:06 pm
Banned

Tkstana is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi someone. Do you know if the Carfourr is open at Mezyad ye
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

AusInAlAin is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, this sure is a super thread! It has given us plenty of info- however I am a little worried about whether some of it is out of date due to the thread being somewhat dormant these days.
My husband is moving over in 4 weeks to start work on the New Hospital with us to follow in December. My primary concern being a mother is choosing a school. I would love to have her in to start the Spring term in January if possible.
Could anyone give me some feedback on AAESS and Al Ain International School, Brighton looks good but a little out of our price range. Here in Australia you can get great education for free so moving to the UAE and paying private school fees is new to us!
Also if there is any mums to girls similar to my daughters age (8) who would like to offer any info on activities or perhaps meet up for coffee once we arrive please do let me know.
To be honest my husband and I have already done a ton of research on Al Ain and we are very excited about our new adventure! We love camping and 4wd so we can not wait to join oasis off road (we regularly go camping at a local island and love sand dune driving).
One other question, being that we need a lease agreement to get our residence visas, and us wanting to take our time looking and possibly stay for an extended period of time in a hotel does anyone have any info or experience with this? signing a contract with the hotel and or the general cost of long term letting with them? I have seen a forum thread that mentioned long term at the intercontinental(now danat?).
Thank you in advance!

Until my next question,
Cheers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.