Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Life in Morocco compared to life in Turkey

Life in Morocco compared to life in Turkey

Old Sep 12th 2017, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in Morocco compared to life in Turkey

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Anyone who converts is...........
...........generally doing a 10 stretch.

That said, I did nearly convert a few years ago and two of my friends have actually done so. This was nothing to do with religion and more to do with broads but thats another story.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
...........generally doing a 10 stretch.
Nah, but probably on a list somewhere
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:49 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Interesting.

I applaud Richard Dawkins for continuing to stand up to religion. I don't agree with some of his supporters who are nastier than he, but I do agree with the general point.

Anyway. Totally different topic.

Ah, cool, just misunderstood.
It will be hard to totally integrate anywhere but I'd suggest any of your options would be a potentially good pick. Malaysia is lovely and probably the easier of the three to get work? Not sure, guess it depends what you do.

But the OP doesn't want the expat style life so compound living in Saudi is hardly ideal?
I'll explain what I meant a bit better.To me your post implied that because the OP was Muslim, it wouldn't matter where in Saudi he would be living.

I get your point about the compound lifestyle as the OP has said that that isn't what he's looking for.

But at the same time, Saudi is a vast country and there are huge differences from one place to the next.

Putting aside the geographical climate differences, and things relating to schools, social life, shopping etc, and just going on Muslim issues only, there would be huge differences within the country that the OP would have to consider when considering a location.

On the one hand, you have Jeddah, a city where women freely walk around without abayas, and on the other hand you have my own current location in Qassim where I could go weeks without seeing a woman's face. We don't know what kind of Muslim the OP is, or what he's looking for.

Personally, I think the OP is being a bit idealistic about the whole thing. Looking for some idyllic Muslim land where everyone knows each other and is friendly to each other etc etc.

Saudis, although friendly, tend to keep themselves to themselves at home. Generally speaking, the lower down the social scale you go, the less you have in common. And I certainly wouldn't want to be living in a block with a load on Pakistanis, Indos etc for some kind of enriched cultural experience.

Anyways, I'm rambling now, but my point about the many different kinds of Muslims, their lives, and their living standards applies.

Hope that makes sense. Who knows what the OP is looking for. I think it will be hard to find in Saudi though.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

What work do you do ? I cannot imagine that much employment would be available in Morocco apart from teaching. Would teaching pay enough for you to have a family life ? I am doubtful. As for living in Saudi, most companies will pay you a housing allowance in lieu of providing accommodation. It is then up to you to find accommodation - probably in an area full of other migrants, not necessarily from the Arab world. many professional and white collar jobs in Saudi are held by Indians and Pakistanis.

I worked in Saudi Arabia for 17 years, spread over 4 decades in different regions of the country, and feel that i have some understanding of the country. The place has its attractions and I particularly liked Jeddah.

I am not now, and I never have been, a Muslim !
Old Sep 13th 2017, 8:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I'll explain what I meant a bit better.To me your post implied that because the OP was Muslim, it wouldn't matter where in Saudi he would be living.

I get your point about the compound lifestyle as the OP has said that that isn't what he's looking for.

But at the same time, Saudi is a vast country and there are huge differences from one place to the next.

Putting aside the geographical climate differences, and things relating to schools, social life, shopping etc, and just going on Muslim issues only, there would be huge differences within the country that the OP would have to consider when considering a location.

On the one hand, you have Jeddah, a city where women freely walk around without abayas, and on the other hand you have my own current location in Qassim where I could go weeks without seeing a woman's face. We don't know what kind of Muslim the OP is, or what he's looking for.

Personally, I think the OP is being a bit idealistic about the whole thing. Looking for some idyllic Muslim land where everyone knows each other and is friendly to each other etc etc.

Saudis, although friendly, tend to keep themselves to themselves at home. Generally speaking, the lower down the social scale you go, the less you have in common. And I certainly wouldn't want to be living in a block with a load on Pakistanis, Indos etc for some kind of enriched cultural experience.

Anyways, I'm rambling now, but my point about the many different kinds of Muslims, their lives, and their living standards applies.

Hope that makes sense. Who knows what the OP is looking for. I think it will be hard to find in Saudi though.
Thanks for this, bit misunderstood, I wasn't clear but glad you posted this anyway. Hopefully useful for the OP too.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Converts are usually the worst. They talk about being enlightened but are usually the most dogmatic of them all because they'll drag all sorts of issues into the faith, usually the same issues other people from that faith try to escape. For example, I'm not sure why the OP had to lump Theresa May in with Marine Le Pen or Islamaphobia and that holds many implications. And as someone who's read the Quran there's quite a bit of weird and uncomfortable stuff in there that's not compatible with someone looking for tolerance.

Anyhow, the dude's best off staying in France. He'll likely find that Muslims in the Muslim world will either ignore him because he's still not of the local culture, or find him annoying because he's trying to be a good Muslim while they're out drinking and whoring.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Taz786 is an unknown quantity at this point

taistealai - As most people have mentioned, practicing your faith is sometimes easier and better in the Western world.

Being a Muslim and having lived in a conservative Muslim country previously and now Dubai, I have enjoyed both places but won't move just due to the fact its a Muslim country. If its better either for your kids education or employment, than make the move.

I don't want to put you off your dream move and hope it works out with whatever decision you make.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 1:59 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

On the one hand, I can see the advantages of living in a Muslim country for the OP. You can do Muslim things like wear trousers exposing your ankles and no one thinks you're a wierdo....

But on the other hand, most of the converts I've come across try to be more Muslim than the locals. Most Saudis I know and work with would quite happily have a drink if they could. Converts are just too pious a lot of the time.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

On the one hand, I can see the advantages of living in a Muslim country for the OP. You can do Muslim things like wear trousers exposing your ankles and no one thinks you're a wierdo....

But on the other hand, most of the converts I've come across try to be more Muslim than the locals. Most Saudis I know and work with would quite happily have a drink if they could. Converts are just too pious a lot of the time.
Bit like ex smokers!
Old Sep 14th 2017, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Lol I didn't know ankle bearing was a Muslim pursuit. Most young fellas in London have been rocking the look every Summer for the past few years!
Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:52 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Life in Morocco compared to life in Turkey

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
I'd say Oman might give the best balance of GCC comforts with genuine and accessible local culture. As with most of these places, getting decently paid employment (and sponsorship) will be the main difficulty.
I agree about Oman - most expats love it - also Al Ain. In some places you might get ''culture shocks'' that change your mind about realities of other cultures and religions.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 8:23 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
... In some places you might get ''culture shocks'' that change your mind about realities of other cultures and religions.
Absolutely. I walked down Lewisham High Street yesterday...
Old Sep 14th 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Absolutely. I walked down Lewisham High Street yesterday...
What's wrong with Lewisham? got a great market, friendly people, not a hipster in sight.

One of my old stomping grounds. I was on holiday a few years ago with my family and we stayed just up the road in Deptford.
Had a great time.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
Lol I didn't know ankle bearing was a Muslim pursuit. Most young fellas in London have been rocking the look every Summer for the past few years!
Have a read of that!
https://islamqa.info/en/762
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:21 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

What's wrong with Lewisham? got a great market, friendly people, not a hipster in sight.

One of my old stomping grounds. I was on holiday a few years ago with my family and we stayed just up the road in Deptford.
Had a great time.
That whole area is really'' up and coming'' now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.