Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Apr 15th 2015, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Let's talk about cars

Hello wise folks of the Middle East, I hope you've all had a wonderful day and didn't get caught up in various accidents as a result of irresponsible drivers.

I'm currently driving a rental. Nissan Tiida. From Thrifty. It's a perfectly fine car if boring, but does the job well enough. But it's costing 2300 AED a month, inclusive of the insurance. Not fun. So naturally I've started thinking about buying a car, probably during Ramadan to take advantage of the deals.

When I last lived in Dubai I drove the small Pajero. Great car. Very reliable. Never had issues. Great in the city and out in the wadis. I bought it in 2008, paid 95K for it, sold it in 2011 with 80k km for 62K. Not bad, eh?

I had thought I would get another Pajero but after looking at various dealerships I've soured on the Pajeros a bit, although I was surprised to discover that Pajeros are still selling for the same price as in '08, while most car prices have gone up substantially. Wranglers were 100K in '08, now up to 150K for the 2 door and nearly 200K for the 4 doors, which were only 140K in '08. Prados were once 140K and are now 180k. Audis A4 were 125 but are now 155K. Is the stagnant Pajero price something to be concerned about? If Pajeros are such good value then why are people buying other cars?

Part of me does want to try something different.

What about the Fortuner? Slightly more expensive than the Pajero and it'd be bigger than I'd need. But it's Toyota and that seems to invite an even better resale value down the road (true or not?) and Toyota is now saying that their cars only need to be serviced every 10K km, not 5K km, which is still the case for the Pajeros.

I'll be frank and admit that the Taureg stole my heart. What a fantastic car. Not too big, not too small, beautifully designed interiors, simple and not fussy. Free servicing up to 105K and free warranty with unlimited mileage up to five years! But 190K for a brand new one! I could do it, but that's a lot of money. Anyone know what the resale value on these Tauregs after a few years? Didn't care for the Tiguan, which starts at 110K.

I also liked the Jetta, even if it's not a 4x4. Straightforward car, uncomplicated. Brand new ones for 80K. Same warranties. But even though I don't go offroading often, it'd still be nice to have a 4x4 for the odd trip to the wadis or the dunes.

Aud A4 is a beautiful car, but similar downsides with the Jetta. This country cries for a 4x4. Didn't care for the Audi 4x4s.

What about buying second hand versus brand new? Obviously cheaper, but higher risk. Ideally a two-three year old car could be perfect but there's still the risk factor. Avoid?

Last but not least, finance or cash? I could pay cash, but that'd limit options.

Any suggestions for cars and feedback is heartily welcomed.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Stick with the pajero
Old Apr 16th 2015, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Mr. Millhouse.

Reasons for sticking with the Pajero instead of, say, the Fortuner, which seems to be its peer in the price category.

I'm still puzzled as to why Pajero prices have remained flat since 2008. Is that just to my advantage and nothing to be worried about in terms of car quality and specs?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Stick with the pajero
Old Apr 16th 2015, 6:01 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought a 9 month old motor, with service and maintenance plan till 2019, from a guy I know leaving AD...

Buying 2nd hand, with the coverage, I dont think is a gamble at all.....
Old Apr 16th 2015, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Thank you, Mr. Millhouse.

Reasons for sticking with the Pajero instead of, say, the Fortuner, which seems to be its peer in the price category.

I'm still puzzled as to why Pajero prices have remained flat since 2008. Is that just to my advantage and nothing to be worried about in terms of car quality and specs?
Actually, I have owned both. I have had two fortuners, and one small Paj.

The 4l Fortuner is the better car. The big Paj is an ugly, slow brute. The 2.7l fortuner is terrible. The small Paj is great (although it does look like a mobile hairdressers' car). Neither broke down despite lots of abuse on and off road.

Both were easy to sell (well the Paj was written off and sold to the insurance company )

Pajeros are cheap as they are dumped into the market here by Mitsubishi. But, parts are comparatively more expensive -- not that you will need many.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 8:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The 4l Fortuner is the better car. The big Paj is an ugly, slow brute. The 2.7l fortuner is terrible. The small Paj is great (although it does look like a mobile hairdressers' car). Neither broke down despite lots of abuse on and off road.

Both were easy to sell (well the Paj was written off and sold to the insurance company )

Pajeros are cheap as they are dumped into the market here by Mitsubishi. But, parts are comparatively more expensive -- not that you will need many.
Amen, it's ****ing hideous and bang average to awful inside.

I went in Millhouse's Fortuner and thought it was alright, but never drove one.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the feedback. Is the 2.7 that much worse than the 4l? I assume the latter has a more powerful engine? I'm not much into speed so does it really make much of a difference?

Mind if I ask what cars you've moved on to, and why you no longer own the Fortuner/Pajero?

Old Apr 16th 2015, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

It ain't the prettiest in the world but it seems a remarkable value for what it is. Compare it to, say, the American cars like the Ford Explorers or the Jeep. Interiors of those cars are hardly any different yet the cost is much higher. I often wonder what makes the Explorers/Cherokees worth the higher prices?

Originally Posted by Scamp
Amen, it's ****ing hideous and bang average to awful inside.

I went in Millhouse's Fortuner and thought it was alright, but never drove one.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the feedback. Is the 2.7 that much worse than the 4l? I assume the latter has a more powerful engine? I'm not much into speed so does it really make much of a difference?

Mind if I ask what cars you've moved on to, and why you no longer own the Fortuner/Pajero?
The thing I liked about the 4l fortuner was its power - not really its speed. Joining motorways, overtaking etc. it just felt in control.

I wrote the Pajero off, and replaced it with a Patrol (would have kept the Paj if it wasn't for the accident). I sold the Fortuner as I didn't need it anymore. Fortuners are great cars and I loved driving mine.

Now have an FJ and a 370z. I used the Pajero, Patrol and FJ in the desert on a regular basis. The Fortuner only occasionally went offroad and they are very very capable.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 8:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It ain't the prettiest in the world but it seems a remarkable value for what it is. Compare it to, say, the American cars like the Ford Explorers or the Jeep. Interiors of those cars are hardly any different yet the cost is much higher. I often wonder what makes the Explorers/Cherokees worth the higher prices?
I've got an old shape Explorer (2010), it's definitely no Rolls Royce inside, but I think it's nicer than the Paj. I have quite a high spec though with lots of extras I think.

The Pajero, Explorer, X-Trail etc are all very similar. Pick one up second hand for 80-100k and not worry too much.

I've had one major AC problem but got it fixed and that's it in 3 and a bit years.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 8:47 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Pajero, cheap and incredible value for money compared to its direct competitors.

Its looked down on hence the cheap price.

have run them now for almost 10 years here and am only now facing the first major mechanical bills on 1 of them. various gaskets, suspension etc are all now at the end of their life. Not bad for a car driven into the desert most winter weekends and hammered up and down gatch tracks constantly.

have forgotten to service one for well over 10,000km, oil was almost non existent and like tar, service made only minor difference to how it ran.

They are fugly (although i dont find them anymore so than most 4x4's) ridiculously reliable and spacious, underpowered but with enough that when driven sensibly its not really an issue although i did find out the other day there are a number of toyota V8's that will just slot in with a transmission adaptor!

they aren't a glamorous choice but are the financially sensible 4x4
Old Apr 16th 2015, 9:01 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Why not take another look at the Tiguan. We have a fleet of them here, and although I wasn't impressed at first they're actually good. Ours are 2.0D's, don't know what's available where you are, but if more powerful I hope they have better brakes--absolutely no feel on ours. Relatively good to drive, comfortable, well equipped, and everything works exactly as it should (dead brakes aside). Good off-road, although haven't dune-bashed one (yet).
Old Apr 16th 2015, 9:57 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Great, thanks to your thread title now I have
song stuck in my head!

I think buying a second hand car with coverage is a much better option. The initial depreciation on a new car just is not worth the smell of a new car.

All japanese cars will have good resale here, but as they say here 'sir ji toyota is toyota' *waggle waggle*
Old Apr 18th 2015, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Buzz126 is an unknown quantity at this point

How about the Outlander. Great vehicle. Bought mine new during Ramadan last year. Cracking deal. 3.5 Mivec engine heaps of grunt, great fuel economy, excellent all round visibility (not like the Fortuner with those hideous folding rear seats that block your view) and loads of goodies. It's a great car and can squeeze into those tight parking bays with ease. Just sayin...
Old Apr 18th 2015, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

The reality of owning a Pajero

Since they have become such good value brand new, they have become the weapon of choice for up and coming Jinglies

That explains their lack of road presence and why they get chopped up with impunity

Without doubt the best value 4x4 if you exclude my cheap favourite the Renault Duster top spec. Ace little car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.