Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lack of Clothes - again

Lack of Clothes - again

Old May 14th 2012, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of Clothes - again

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Nah, on a couple of occasions now when the wind has caught, I've seen an expanse of leg almost up to the fur....
Old May 14th 2012, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Hmm. Well I obviously didn't get the memo as I was asked to leave the Dubai Municipality Public Health building on the borders of Sharjah last week, by Security, for being 'inappropriately dressed'. I asked him to consult with his colleague behind the counter, she confirmed that my dress was inappropriate and I should not be allowed in. I was eventually allowed to plead my case with the head of the municipality building, he said I could come in this time, but next time - no.

I guess you're all dying to know what I was wearing... it was a very mumsy, below the knee, Boden dress, not low cut, with sleeves. I am also very obviously pregnant.
Boden yummy mummy. Like
Old May 14th 2012, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Can I remind you of the dreadfully dressed Russians? A bit like some Brits but shinier, cheaper, more sequins and animal print.
we can spot a russian a mile off, but not everyone else can tell us apart.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
So wide of the mark
That's why I said 'why do it?". The people I described only have avatars with teddy bears or dolphins. Anyway, isn't everyone being unpleasant? And does the "she's had surgery" phenomenon not exist?
Old May 15th 2012, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Interesting discussions but it's kind of going towards the perversion (natural?) of men who are desperate to catch a glimpse of a woman's body in order for them to discuss and rate them at the pub or something like that...SURELY, women realise this and by wearing modest clothing, you are less likely to be spoken about and looked at purely for how 'beautiful' or not you are?

However, how long are women outside in the heat in order for an abaya to be considered the most uncomfortable thing since sliced bread? Going out to the car, stepping into the mall etc... hardly a ride in the desert is it?

I can also understand the mixed messages being sent out by the 'flirty' females with high heels and open abayas, showing their clothing and the mixed messages by billboards / mall adverts too.

Many contradictions which don't make things clearer here...
Old May 15th 2012, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mathematist
Interesting discussions but it's kind of going towards the perversion (natural?) of men who are desperate to catch a glimpse of a woman's body in order for them to discuss and rate them at the pub or something like that...SURELY, women realise this and by wearing modest clothing, you are less likely to be spoken about and looked at purely for how 'beautiful' or not you are?

However, how long are women outside in the heat in order for an abaya to be considered the most uncomfortable thing since sliced bread? Going out to the car, stepping into the mall etc... hardly a ride in the desert is it?

I can also understand the mixed messages being sent out by the 'flirty' females with high heels and open abayas, showing their clothing and the mixed messages by billboards / mall adverts too.

Many contradictions which don't make things clearer here...
Out of interest, where are you from? What century did you form your opinions about women's dress?
Old May 15th 2012, 6:22 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

that's a rather strange comment, I assume you must be somewhat mixed up if you equate the clothes a woman is wearing with a desire to flirt with men in malls. Attention seeking behaviour maybe but anything further is making a quantum leap on your behalf.
Old May 15th 2012, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Out of interest, where are you from? What century did you form your opinions about women's dress?
Speaking about yesterday's article.

Very little clothes / flesh = Problem in GCC

non-revealing clothes (abaya or not) = no problems.

Simple enough equation for you don't you think Biggsy?

With the heels things, read Ms. Trotters (fashion editor) article in the National about flirting with heels if you think otherwise, her words, not mine!
Old May 15th 2012, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
that's a rather strange comment, I assume you must be somewhat mixed up if you equate the clothes a woman is wearing with a desire to flirt with men in malls. Attention seeking behaviour maybe but anything further is making a quantum leap on your behalf.
Yep, meant attention seeking...
Old May 15th 2012, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking about yesterday's article.

Very little clothes / flesh = Problem in GCC

non-revealing clothes (abaya or not) = no problems.

Simple enough equation for you don't you think Biggsy?

With the heels things, read Ms. Trotters (fashion editor) article in the National about flirting with heels if you think otherwise, her words, not mine!
A simple enough equation for a backward society that is controlled by men, yes. Any argument that assumes men can't handle looking at a woman without her being draped head to toe in black is somewhat 14th century (at best.)

Last edited by Ronnie Biggs; May 15th 2012 at 8:13 am.
Old May 15th 2012, 9:21 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

A simple enough equation for a backward society that is controlled by men, yes. Any argument that assumes men can't handle looking at a woman without her being draped head to toe in black is somewhat 14th century (at best.)
It's really only one step away from saying 'she's revealing flesh, she must be asking for it'.

It's really very simple. You've either got it or you've seen it. It's just a human body, a very natural thing (albeit some are prettier than others).

Last edited by Meow; May 15th 2012 at 9:31 am.
Old May 15th 2012, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Maybe, but I think this type of society doesn't want to look like the average UK town on a Friday night or anytime of day for that matter.

Just a question though, why are people complaining IN the UK and other parts of the developed world about the over sexualisation of society, in particular, the type of attire available to very young people nowadays, what they watch etc...

My very own, British neighbour, WWII veteran also says she'd hate to be a young girl these days, but what does she know? Old bag, right Biggsy?

I suppose everyone is free to decide how they want to dress there, what they watch etc...

Case closed from my point now...
Old May 15th 2012, 9:32 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe, but I think this type of society doesn't want to look like the average UK town on a Friday night or anytime of day for that matter.

Just a question though, why are people complaining IN the UK and other parts of the developed world about the over sexualisation of society, in particular, the type of attire available to very young people nowadays, what they watch etc...

My very own, British neighbour, WWII veteran also says she'd hate to be a young girl these days, but what does she know? Old bag, right Biggsy?

I suppose everyone is free to decide how they want to dress there, what they watch etc...

There is a massive difference between dressing appropriately (although not draped in black from head to toe) and dressing as if you are a teenage clubber. No one is saying that flashing flesh all the time is a good plan, but similarly a bit of sense wouldn't go amiss from all parties.
Old May 15th 2012, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't put words in my mouth.

There's a difference between walking around a mall in a bikini (which you don't see over here anyway) and requiring that a section of society walk around in cloaks, gloves, face masks etc. Get a grip on a balanced reality.
Old May 15th 2012, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

over weight people should NOT be allowed to wear anything tight and too small that causes folds of flesh to hang out - like seriously - did they not look at themselves in the frigging mirror before stepping out.

my colleague was telling me that his barbar who's a syrian geezer, was going to a beach bbq on Al Mamzar beach...he decided to wear shorts while driving there...on the way he had to pick up his mate who lived in sharjah....he parked up his car and when he got out to go get his mate a copper clocked him...told him he was inappropriately dressed.....the dude got fined AED 3k on the spot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.