Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

KSA - Exporting a car?

KSA - Exporting a car?

Old Oct 24th 2016, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KSA - Exporting a car?

Originally Posted by Scamp
Shipping / Flying it somewhere easier might be wise....

Big difference between driving to UK from Turkey than from Greece.

Greece has the option of hopping to Ancona, then it's just a pootle up through Italy and France, the only difficult bit is whether you go Mont Blanc tunnel or not - which I always wanted to as it's fun.

Maybe going through Turkey and the Eastern Bloc will be a laugh though.

We never booked hotels for parts of the trip, just stopped when we saw one, but in reality if you're up early and beyond Paris before rush hour we might not have even needed to stop for the night before Italy. Depends how we went.

Will you blast it or take your time and drive a bit and stop for the day / night?

I'm getting more and more jealous.
The plan is to take our time and use it as an extended holiday, stopping off wherever takes our fancy. Hence having a big truck that we can sleep in if needed, or just book into a hotel / B&B or campsite. I do fancy the Eastern Bloc but I think I'll probably bottle it and stick to Western Europe. Did want to drive up through the Alps into Germany. We have friends in central France and Munich so would like to spend a few days in each.

Step son is in Lisbon, so that's also on the agenda.

Original plan was to exit KSA, fly back to Blighty , buy a VW Type 2 and then go on the European Road Trip. This kind of meets that requirement, but without the Type 2. Just a big SUV instead.

Off to look at an Expedition later today. It's a big f**ker.

Sent an email to an ex-work colleague who worked in Customs here in Riyadh. He's going to hunt around for some contacts to see how I get the necessary export papers for KSA.

It's all a grand plan at the moment, loads to research, but the hardest bit so far is all centred around the Middle East,. Once we clear that and into Europe, should be far easier.

On another note - was thinking of buying a dedicated Sat Nav Unit - anyone any suggestions?

Don't want to rely on my smart phone, as I'll need data connection and will get hammered on roaming charges. Need one that I can download maps for Middle East as well as having Western Europe already installed. Probably buy it from Amazon and have it shipped out here via Aramex.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 7:19 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam

On another note - was thinking of buying a dedicated Sat Nav Unit - anyone any suggestions?

Don't want to rely on my smart phone, as I'll need data connection and will get hammered on roaming charges. Need one that I can download maps for Middle East as well as having Western Europe already installed. Probably buy it from Amazon and have it shipped out here via Aramex.
Try an app called Navmii, it is based on your smartphone but you can download all the maps prior to using it. It will then work off your gps so no need for a data connection. You could see how it works in KSA before ordering a dedicated unit
Old Oct 24th 2016, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Try an app called Navmii, it is based on your smartphone but you can download all the maps prior to using it. It will then work off your gps so no need for a data connection. You could see how it works in KSA before ordering a dedicated unit
Another good tip. Where's the 'Like' button....

:-)

Edited to add:
Having said that, just searched for it on the iOS Store, loads of maps available to buy and download, but none for the Middle East. Sent them an email!

Last edited by nottmbantam; Oct 24th 2016 at 7:47 am.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 7:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The plan is to take our time and use it as an extended holiday, stopping off wherever takes our fancy. Hence having a big truck that we can sleep in if needed, or just book into a hotel / B&B or campsite. I do fancy the Eastern Bloc but I think I'll probably bottle it and stick to Western Europe. Did want to drive up through the Alps into Germany. We have friends in central France and Munich so would like to spend a few days in each.

Step son is in Lisbon, so that's also on the agenda.

Original plan was to exit KSA, fly back to Blighty , buy a VW Type 2 and then go on the European Road Trip. This kind of meets that requirement, but without the Type 2. Just a big SUV instead.

Off to look at an Expedition later today. It's a big f**ker.

Sent an email to an ex-work colleague who worked in Customs here in Riyadh. He's going to hunt around for some contacts to see how I get the necessary export papers for KSA.

It's all a grand plan at the moment, loads to research, but the hardest bit so far is all centred around the Middle East,. Once we clear that and into Europe, should be far easier.

Get it to Greece for example, ferry to Italy, up the eastern coast, through San Marino, Bologna, Milan, swing a right, Switzerland (Liechtenstein, may as well), Austria and into Germany for Munich. I'd then head back to Switzerland / Austria to get into France through the Alps as it'll be beautiful. Head to France to see friends, down through Andorra (just for shits and giggles), Barcelona, Valencia, inland to Madrid / Toledo, then across to Lisbon. From there up to Santander / Bilbao and ferry home or go through northern Spain, up the west coast of France (surf a bit), then ferry to UK.

OH. MY. DAYS.

Nottm, just get the middle east bit sorted, the rest sounds absolutely amazing potentially.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"The Eastern Bloc" ? You might like to check out certain changes since 1989.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Thought about driving to through west coast of Greece, through Albania and Montenegro as I'd like to get to Croatia for a bit. From there to Slovenia, Italy , Austria - over the Alps into Germany and Munich. Then Switzerland, into France. Then Spain, Portugal and Lisbon, and then back up to France. Rough plan so far.

Don't fancy Albania though after watching Taken. Would have to take Liam Neeson with me. Or I'd have to acquire a special set of skills....
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Thought about driving to through west coast of Greece, through Albania and Montenegro as I'd like to get to Croatia for a bit. From there to Slovenia, Italy , Austria - over the Alps into Germany and Munich. Then Switzerland, into France. Then Spain, Portugal and Lisbon, and then back up to France. Rough plan so far.

Don't fancy Albania though after watching Taken. Would have to take Liam Neeson with me. Or I'd have to acquire a special set of skills....
That road up from Greece would be awesome. Croatia is meant to be fantastic, we'd always bottled it as either a van full of furniture or in a Jag that Dad didn't want on Albanian crimewatch. Either way, we bottled it and it's probably fine.

Northern Italy is stunning. Switzerland was boring but beautiful.

Sounds like a fantastic route.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

That road up from Greece would be awesome. Croatia is meant to be fantastic, we'd always bottled it as either a van full of furniture or in a Jag that Dad didn't want on Albanian crimewatch. Either way, we bottled it and it's probably fine.

Yeah, my sister went to Croatia this summer for a two week break, pics looked amazing, would definitely be a place to stop off somewhere. Albania and Montenegro could be quite "interesting" too if we manage to make it.

Loads of useful stuff on the Trip Advisor Forums.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine recently sold his car to a German chap who was exporting it back to Germany. While not massive I believe the following were required: under seal, coolant / antifreeze change and the changing of some of the gaskets in the coolant system as the new coolant / antifreeze wasn't compatible with the existing gaskets.

His was a Porsche GT3 though so quite exotic, I'm not sure a yankie truck would be Spec'ed all that different in the Middle East to back in the US of A.

Sounds like a wicked trip. I'd go via Iran. I've been looking at doing the Mongol rally for a few years (London - Mongolia via any route you like in a 1.0L banger).
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:49 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Would you be able / willing to re-call the process of getting the export papers sorted? Thanks.
Actually have no idea as I got the PRO to sort it out. Sorry.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Looks like it could be a go-er. Apparently 6-7 hrs to drive from the Greek / Albanian border to the Albania / Montenegro border. Thinking about practicalities, might stay overnight in Tirana, then up the next day for drive over and into Montenegro to the next stop.

Originally Posted by norsk
Actually have no idea as I got the PRO to sort it out. Sorry.
No worries norsk, thanks anyway.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 3:49 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Another good tip. Where's the 'Like' button....

:-)

Edited to add:
Having said that, just searched for it on the iOS Store, loads of maps available to buy and download, but none for the Middle East. Sent them an email!
Oh ok, that's a pity. They are all available on android, mustn't be as quick on iOS.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In the 1970s and 1980s it was quite common to drive from Saudi Arabia to Western Europe through Iraq and Turkey. Truckers of many nationalities did it regularly. Western teachers in KSA did it in the summer holidays.Do no try it today.

What was a peaceful region has been transformed into a war zone and probable source of WW3. (Maybe it started already ?)
Old Oct 25th 2016, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
In the 1970s and 1980s it was quite common to drive from Saudi Arabia to Western Europe through Iraq and Turkey. Truckers of many nationalities did it regularly. Western teachers in KSA did it in the summer holidays.Do no try it today.

What was a peaceful region has been transformed into a war zone and probable source of WW3. (Maybe it started already ?)
Agreed, when I first arrived in 2008, it was quite a common story for expats to drive home. Even as a jaunt for their annual vacation and then fly back. Like yu say, the region is a right royal mess at the moment, all the stuff going on right now in the battle for Mosul in Iraq, the Syria situation, the Saudi's still fighting with Yemen. Could well be the powder keg people have been predicting for a while.

I did fleetingly look at the map last night and consider going to Kuwait, through Iran and then onto Turkey. What's Iran like these days - anyone in the know?
Old Oct 25th 2016, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Oh ok, that's a pity. They are all available on android, mustn't be as quick on iOS.
Emailed the developer, they recommend downloading the UK Maps then going into In App purchasers for the remaining ones, including ME Countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.