Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Just Landed in Muscat

Just Landed in Muscat

Old Aug 16th 2014, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice
Default Just Landed in Muscat

First Impressions? Feels a bit similar to RAK...I am in Seeb.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 5:24 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Landed in Muscat

no way like RAK - there are no cement works, and the sea is on the other side

it is a bit dusty here though

Seeb is boondocks though - go east to where the fun stuff happens
Old Aug 16th 2014, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Just been for a walk to your 'Spinneys' it is 'Al Fair' here...same same....
Old Aug 16th 2014, 5:56 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

one on Nov 18th street?

pork room is more expensive than Spinneys and nowhere near the same quality - you;ll find that Muscat gets all of the leftovers.....
Old Aug 16th 2014, 5:57 pm
womble

TSC (the sultan centre) just further up the road is better for fresh meat & veg

and there's even a costs if you walk a bit more
Old Aug 16th 2014, 5:58 pm
womble

drive down to the wave if you want supper although I guess at 10pm most are shut now
Old Aug 17th 2014, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Stop in the golf club if you want a beer with your supper.

Been here 6 weeks, most of it during Ramadan.

So far not to impressed with the bars/restaurants. Crown Plaza Dukes bar is best bar so far but food is crap. Joined the Intercontinental for gym and pool, but Tomato restaurant is not great. The Rock Bottom has good steaks and beer at reasonable prices but it is a cellar. Chedi is nice but out of budget for a regular haunt.
Shangri La buffet was disappointing and OR 22 for the cheapest bottle of very nasty plonk has taken that one of the list: nice location though. the Left Bank has been the best for food/ambiance we have found so far.

Shopping is the same as in any GCC country, same shops, same stock. Lulu for a taste of India, Carrefour exactly the same stock and layout as in any GCC city, Al Far - Waitrose stock and pork room; more pricy than Carrefour but without the checkout queues. Sultan Center on 18th is next to my villa so meets the requirements.

Last edited by gottheTshirt; Aug 17th 2014 at 3:42 am.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

the pork section was not bad I thought....similar to spinneys....in fact choithrams in Fujairah had better pork than spinneys...
Old Aug 17th 2014, 5:28 am
womble

ok - I'd only ever been to the big mall Spinneys, so maybe I'm biased against our local firm. However.... keep an eye on expiry dates for all fresh goods. Al Fair is notorious for selling expired goods, although with the introduction of PACP who are cracking down, they are getting better.

gottheTshirt - if that's your list of crap joints, then you are going to be sadly disappointed, as these are the best of Muscat. Remember there is a v high import tax here for pork and booze in Muscat, and Oman is set up for locals, not expats, like Dubai (there is even talk of banning both). The restaurant and drinking scene is limited, because most locals like to eat at home rather than eat out. Independent restaurants generally fail here because there is simply not the traffic/footfall. Muscat is not the UAE (thank goodness). It's not all about bling and shopping and ladies who lunch (though there are a few). There is also not a boozy Friday brunch scene as alcohol is only served after 2pm.
MSQ and Shatti areas have the best cafés for simple lunch or supper.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

I think I could get used to Oman....It's quite nice and I think it will start growing on me...For one thing, the Omanis, seem to be a few levels above the Emiratis in politeness...I walked to the Muscat City Centre last night and I had cars stop, for me to cross, which is unheard of in Dubai...Tonight, my Iranian friend, whom I haven't seen in 17 years, is going to take me to see Ruwi and Matrah...I am looking forward to that...
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:44 am
womble

omg

go for a pee before you drive to Ruwi/Muttrah

but yes, Omanis definitely less snotty than Emiratis, although the stopping thing is still quite rare, and they were probably only stopping to gawk at the weird expat "walking"