Reload this Page >

Job offer to work for MoE

Job offer to work for MoE

Old May 5th 2017, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

alextittcomb1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Job offer to work for MoE

Hi all,

I have just received a job offer to work as a PE Teacher in the UAE for the Ministry of Education.

The job is to work in Arabic schools. Due to the recruitment agency being fairly vague I have a number of questions to ask people. If anyone on here could help me I'd be greatly appreciative.

1) has anyone got experience/ know anybody that has taught in an Arabic school, what is it like?

2) I have been offered 16 000 AED per month, will this be enough a month to live off in Dubai/ surrounding areas? Also my partner is thinking of moving out with me, is this totally illegal and will I get found out? Or can you easily get away with having your girlfriend live with you?

3) What is the transition like from moving the UK to the UAE?

4) Is it recommended to get a car?

5) how do you pay for a rental accommodation when they want so much money up front?
I think that is all for now.

Thanks,
Alex
Old May 6th 2017, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer to work for MoE

As no one else has replied I will put my two penneth in for what it is worth.

On the salary quoted you will struggle unless they are providing the accommodation, if they do your girlfriend will not be able to live there anyway!! If not I would forget it as it is to small, and you would not be able to live life to the full here. Also it is against the law to cohabit here unless you are married, some do and get away with it , some do and end up in jail...up to you. Also as you aree not married you would not be able to sponsor her and she would have to find a way of getting a visa.

Transition to here is easy, just the bureaucracy does your nut in in the first couple of weeks.

Do you need a car?? depends on where you are Metro is great and taxi`s everywhere.

Renting is normally 4 cheques up front with a deposit and agents fees with the first one.
Old May 7th 2017, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Taz786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

As the previous post stated, if accommodation isn't covered, you will struggle. I live a simple lifestyle and don't drink and not a fan on Friday brunches. See below my general costs to give you an idea. This doesn't include setting up costs (like furniture, buying a car, etc):-

- Rent AED 7,000 per month on average (I pay over 4 cheques) - It can be cheaper/expensive depending on area.
- DEWA & bills - varies between AED 550 to 1100 (Summer is more expensive due to AC and my wife seems to love it on all the time).
- Home phone, internet and TV - AED 359 (basic package)
- Mobile phone contract for 2 people - AED 500
- Food - AED 2000
- Other activities - AED 3000
- Petrol + salik - AED 500 (for one car)
- Metro - AED 400 (for Gold class)

I may have missed other items but the above are fixed monthly costs. I have not included holidays, etc as those are not ongoing monthly costs.

With regards to settling in. I found it easy but this wasn't the first place I moved. It's all in the mindset and if you're willing to accept the new surroundings, you will be fine. Its a safe place with a busy social life. The only issue is the summer months and trying to hide away from the scorching sun.

I personally prefer taking the metro to work as its more peaceful. But only if my wife drops me to the metro station in the morning otherwise I'm drenched in sweat walking in the summer months. I live 10 mins walk from the metro station. If the wife can't drop me, I take the car. From Oct till mid April, walking isn't an issue.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old May 7th 2017, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by alextittcomb1
Hi all,

I have just received a job offer to work as a PE Teacher in the UAE for the Ministry of Education.

The job is to work in Arabic schools. Due to the recruitment agency being fairly vague I have a number of questions to ask people. If anyone on here could help me I'd be greatly appreciative.

1) has anyone got experience/ know anybody that has taught in an Arabic school, what is it like?

2) I have been offered 16 000 AED per month, will this be enough a month to live off in Dubai/ surrounding areas? Also my partner is thinking of moving out with me, is this totally illegal and will I get found out? Or can you easily get away with having your girlfriend live with you?

3) What is the transition like from moving the UK to the UAE?

4) Is it recommended to get a car?

5) how do you pay for a rental accommodation when they want so much money up front?
I think that is all for now.

Thanks,
Alex
I'm pretty fresh on the scene but from what I've gathered...

2) The Middle East is big on negotiating so I would try to up the salary. It's not a huge amount although you can get bargain properties the further you move in land (e.g. motor city, silicon oasis etc). Going out is pricey, a Friday brunch will set you about 300 - 500dhs but usually includes unlimited booze and food. Living unmarried is a risk but quite a few people do it from my experience...

3) Transition can be long, transporting your things and finding temp accomodation (negotiate this with your job). I'm still in the process of getting a visa and emirates ID now.

4) I'd recommend a car as walking anywhere is almost impossible. Not just due to the heat but the way the roads are built. I don't mind a walk in the heat but there are not many bridges/overpasses and plenty of deadends.

5) Obtain a loan or pay in multiple cheques throughout the year.
Old May 7th 2017, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I do know numerous Westerners who have worked in Arabic schools there.

Would you work in the most challenging school in the UK? If the answer is no - don't go. It will be more challenging than that, for a variety of factors including very different ideas about classroom management than in Western schools, limited English language skills of the students, and a very, very, very different idea of school collaboration, culture and climate. The schools vary in degree of challenge, but wherever you go, you will not be walking into a situation similar to anything you've experienced in the UK.

16,000 is about right for a teacher's salary there. You can do fine on that, but won't be living a flash lifestyle. It does seem to get more expensive every year.

Forget bringing your girlfriend unless you marry her. If that's not an option - I hate to say but your relationship will probably not survive your Middle Eastern employment.

Let me put this another way, how far along are you in your teaching career? If you are in your first few years, the risk factor is a lot lower than if you are mid-career. Think twice about taking the position if you are mid-career and on an upward trajectory in the UK.

Oh, a car his highly recommended.
Old May 7th 2017, 1:20 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of points. Most schools will offer you a fixed term contract which means you will be liable for a penalty if you want to leave early and you also forfeit all End of Service Gratuity by leaving of your own accord within five years.

Governments roles are not protected under UAE Labour Law so you have no fall back if the employer acts unfairly in any way.